5.1 or 7.1 Receiver?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
All things new and shiny in the limelight at the moment seem to be 7.1 when it comes to receivers. I guess, like many people out there I'm not going to be looking to festoon my room with an extra pair of speakers when I've only just managed to drop in some rears in an acceptably aesthetic way.

Given that I'm sticking with a 5.1 speaker set-up, will I get any advantage from going with some of the new 7.1 receivers over any such 5.1 equivalent? Pioneers 5.1 receivers are cheaper than their 7.1 counterparts but not by that much. I don't want to pay for stuff I won't use but I also want something that will last & be a little bit future proof. I've had a Yammy RXV470 for the last 10+ years which has been great but if I'm going to upgrade, I want to make the right choice.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
I wouldn't worry too much about the amp's 5.1 vs 7.1 capabilities in your situation and I'd personally concentrate on the most important part which is its abilities in the areas important to you i.e. normally this would be performance with movies and probably music as well. It's a matter of compromising which is the most important area and choosing your amp from there, or going for an all rounder. Are there any other things which are a must for you e.g. networking capabilities, pre-outs for addition of a separate stereo amp etc. etc.

Once you've decided that and a budget, it'll be easier for people to advise on which receivers should be on your audition list.

A

Anonymous

Hmmm... Now thats got me thinking.

I don't really listen to music through my system any more, all my music is on my laptop but as you mentioned networking, that's got me thinking on how I could set things up so my files are more accessible, which would probably see me use my system for music again. Maybe switch a BD player for a PS3 with big HD for my media.

I mainly use it for movies, got no requirement for any pre-outs, not really bothered about 3D capabilities (can't see a wide adoption of 3D in the home somehow but I would get a 3D tv for games), would like an easy setup process, like a nice clean fascia - hate plugs/sockets showing on the front, need plenty of hdmi inputs and want to be able to pass-through from my freesat to tv and not have to have amp powered to hear the audio, hate spring clips & have no requirement for second speaker zone. I've got a notional ceiling of about £500, would like to spend less but may be persuaded to stretch that.

I'm still using some old Canon S50s for my main fronts. To me, they still sound great but my rears have always felt a bit weedy. Any thoughts on some better surrounds or am I better off getting something like the B&W mini theatres for movies and switching to my s50's for music?

Arrrgh, this is why I've put off upgrading for 10 years, too many bloomin choices.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts