4k region coding

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
I've tried having the Oppo do it, and the TV - the latter is better, so I think I'm doing all I can. Upscaled BR looks very good indeed. I think it may just be screen size.
It's unlikely to be screen size -- I'm on a 106" screen with a decent projector. Are you sure the TV is better than the Oppo? To me, that seems unlikely -- there are technical reasons why the Oppo should be better -- though not impossible. Did you try putting DVDs through the Oppo and having it upscale them or just Blu Rays?

Thanks. Interpolation is still a guessing game though. Even with proper interpolation, some video can take on “ghosting” after being upscaled. These artefacts also become more apparent when super-low-quality images (720p and lower) are upscaled to 4K resolution.
It's not really a guessing game, it's maths and algorithms. The days of just straight bicubic interpolation are long gone. Ghosting is usually from artefacts within the compression rather than the image itself. These days, different algorithms are used and ghosting is rarer because of things like temporal interpolation -- not just looking at the current frame but also looking at the previous and next frames -- to produce a more accurate upscale. There are people who dedicate their career to improving it.

D

Deleted member 197450

I've tried having the Oppo do it, and the TV - the latter is better, so I think I'm doing all I can. Upscaled BR looks very good indeed. I think it may just be screen size.
77-inches is pretty big but it’s OLED and a LG, personally I don’t have any experience of that. On 65-inches it’s pretty good though.

That's the sound of a question going straight over my head! It was automatically upscaling (as judged by what feed the TV described itself as receiving), but when I changed that to output natural disc resolution the TV seemed to do a better job to my eyes.

I recall WHF piece many years ago that looked at whether to have upscaling done at player, amp or screen/projector level. Generally it concluded that closest to source made most sense, but there were exceptions. My Oppo is a few years old, the TV just one. I'd concluded that it's upscaling must be a little better as a result.

Arron

Aug 24, 2021
Visit site
Back to back, yes.
I went and looked up the tech behind each and your eyes are probably working just fine :)

The Oppo uses a MediaTek OP8591 processor -- which should do a pretty good job of upscaling. But the LG uses an α9 Gen3 AI 4K Processor -- which should do a better job. I'm surprised you're not enjoying DVDs through it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts