Question 3D TVs died before they had a chance to get good – I think it’s time for them to come back ?

The electronics industry will dust the idea off periodically. Maybe it'll take off at some point, but not in any format with glasses required.

Watched a Wimbledon match in 3D and it was interesting, but felt like a parlour trick rather than an improvement.

Reactions: busb
I don’t really care if 3D comes back to TVs, as for me, 3D needs to fill your whole field of vision, much like an IMAX screen at a cinema, rather than a “small” screen at home. I’ve always felt 3D was a projector format.

One thing that would benefit 3D though is 8K. A 4K 3D film needs two visual feeds, so a 4K disc uses two 1080 feeds - you can’t get genuine 4K 3D. 8K will be able to provide two 4K feeds.

I don’t really care if 3D comes back to TVs, as for me, 3D needs to fill your whole field of vision, much like an IMAX screen at a cinema, rather than a “small” screen at home. I’ve always felt 3D was a projector format.

One thing that would benefit 3D though is 8K. A 4K 3D film needs two visual feeds, so a 4K disc uses two 1080 feeds - you can’t get genuine 4K 3D. 8K will be able to provide two 4K feeds.
Well, we were all waiting for 4K to be mainstream for 3D to give genuine 1080 full HD resolution, but they stopped 3D by then.

I agree about 3D being beneficial only on a big screen (not necessarily IMAX size). I enjoy 3D on my projector.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
What you all think will they come back ? I never had experience with 3D.
I still use my Panasonic 3D TV and thought well of the dedicated 3D channel on Sky until it was pulled. I cancelled my subscription hitherto. What with the number of cinema films shot and shown in 3D I am surprised there is no broadcasting facility to view them at home.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
How long have you been watching Plasma ? have you watched any new types QLED & and so ?
I have had 4 Plasma over the years and 4 LCD/LEDs I seen reports on these so-called OLED and QLEDS all they are . fancy names for LED Considering the Plasma tvs are 10 years ago . They can still look great at 1080P i doubt if there is much difference at that rating . 4k ? yeh but no transmissions except BT Ultra . sports. So only gaming and DVDs and downloads are 4k ( most are not ) My main TVis a 50 inch LED TCL cheapie was one of the better tvs under £500 according to What Hi Fi If they ( EU ban) continued with development with the plasma ,it is likely to be better than QLED /OLED . 4k ones was produced , we know that in around 2011

I have had 4 Plasma over the years and 4 LCD/LEDs I seen reports on these so-called OLED and QLEDS all they are . fancy names for LED Considering the Plasma tvs are 10 years ago . They can still look great at 1080P i doubt if there is much difference at that rating . 4k ? yeh but no transmissions except BT Ultra . sports. So only gaming and DVDs and downloads are 4k ( most are not ) My main TVis a 50 inch LED TCL cheapie was one of the better tvs under £500 according to What Hi Fi If they ( EU ban) continued with development with the plasma ,it is likely to be better than QLED /OLED . 4k ones was produced , we know that in around 2011
You are also spreading misinformation in suggesting that OLED is LED, that DVDs are 4k, that there are so few sources of 4k material etc. You're also straying into politics in stating that there was an EU ban on plasma, which is not true.

Last edited:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
As far as i know Plasma was taken off the shelfs for a number of reasons main one was use of high wattage values EU had meetings. They advised that LCD was much safer and better to use . HSE was also worried about the huge amount of power they was using too Another reason China as far as i know never made Plasma. panel . A big mistake this killed Pioneer the rest followed 4K DVDs are called BluRay 3D available on some DVDs . Sorry to say all these confusing names for what is basically LED Light emitting diode They both are just a variation of LED/LED. Someone will come up with another variation of LED/LCD just a way of getting your money now we see Mini LED and soo Micra LED Hold on what is better QLED or Mini LED another ploy to get the money Bring back something different PLASMA now that is different \By the way company made one for the market that was 4k The hole idea was soon killed off

Last edited:

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
I was told that with plasmas, not all the glass screens that were made could be used. That might vary from manufacturer to manufacturer, but I remember a Pioneer rep telling me that for every 10 screens they made, only about two were useable.
The same could be said of LCD/LED or what ever. Plasma screens still had plenty of life in them . Build quality is in a different world what we have now. There is no doubt could have still been on sale today a middle/ high end TVs But cheaper to make LCD/LED tvs won the day . Probably the biggest draw back on then was the weight . But i suspect manufacturers was worried about how long they would last ie profits not so good. My oldest Pioneer is still in good hands and working 2005 model . Decided to keep the 2011/2 Panasonic 3D 50 for now at least at 1080P still works very well compared with the TCL we bought 6 months ago as a main TV ( was offered £120 just recently for the the TV ,paid £80, reason for this it had 2 pairs of 3D glasses with it ) The TCL is a nice cheapie to use as a main tv 17 hours a day in use Panasonic is used 4 hours a day in the bedroom . Thats a lot of telly is it not. We rarely if ever go out and not had a holiday since 2005 (anywhere) wife has an illness ( not COVID) . Not many people i know use a TV as much collection of 600 DVDs and 10 BluRays does help a bit and still have Amazon/netflix on the Panasonic .

The same could be said of LCD/LED or what ever.
The point being that this came from someone who worked for the manufacturer, not just someone on the internet with an axe to grind.
Build quality is in a different world what we have now.
As you've only recently bought a non-plasma from the cheaper end of the market, on what do you base this statement?

In case this thread is viewed by anyone seeking useful advice, I will add that those here who have sampled/owned both generally seem to feel that the views you express are highly unusual, if not inaccurate.

Reactions: busb

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
Iam a licensed radio amateur so have a fair knowledge of the workings of TVs Yes i have owned many TVs including Toshiba Panasonics Most if not all LCD ( back in the day). LED tv have common parts including the screens ( read list of LED LCD manufacturers in WIKI _ note most do not make screens for TVs Then look at the Micro TV panel manufacturers Sony are very much different called CLEDIS also called CANVAS. Note Plessey manufacture micro LED panels . Hold on why no mention of QLED ???? When it comes to common parts you might find one factory in China making parts for different manufacturers basically the insides are the same , certainly from the same factory So if it says Hisense TCL or w hat ever you probably find those parts in many other manufacturers. This has been a real problem of common parts ie the insides of the TVs The same insides on most TVs (LED/LCD) electronics even remotes too . Then look at the PLASMA panel hold on why is only Samsung and Panasonic names is there. . Why was not Pioneer or LG name not there. according to Panasonic and Samsung the reason why they stopped selling was because , did not sell that well in USA the buyers did not like the darken screens . This was an actual lie There was several reason , costs cheaper to make LCD/LED and losing money from them too . Panasonic here in Essex was selling both LCD and Plasma from the same retail shops together The Plasmas was heavily discounted around 2010 ?? £1500 down to £750 in some cases. But it was the cost of the panels that killed off the Plasma . How much better could they have been ? 3D on the Panasonic top of the range 50 inch . But also 4k also. and enhanced 1080P and PIP also within a few years . Hold on PIP is an old idea i had PIP on my Panasonic VHS super / LCD , back in the days of VHS nothing ne there

CRT is coming back okay a joke or is it ?Cathode tube has a lot going for it , shame about the weight

busb

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
There were 2 TV technologies I thought would fail - 3d & curved screens. Both technologies didn’t account for groups of people watching TV so every viewer would need glasses or 3d switched off if guests arrived in most cases. The anti reflection coating on curved screens wasn’t good enough & had restricted viewing angles.
For 3d to return, it needs to be free from accessory glasses that I’d never say was impossible but unlikely. 3d also requires extra B/W or reduced resolution/refresh rate, IIRC.

Edbostan

Aug 5, 2021
Visit site
What you all think will they come back ? I never had experience with 3D.
It was doomed from the start as manufacturers persued two different systems. My Panasonic had passive 3D and could be viewed with glasses used in the cinema while Sony and other manufacturers had the shutter format with the glasses need to be battery powered . If only manufacturers worked to a standard it may had been a success .

WayneKerr

It was doomed from the start as manufacturers persued two different systems. My Panasonic had passive 3D and could be viewed with glasses used in the cinema while Sony and other manufacturers had the shutter format with the glasses need to be battery powered . If only manufacturers worked to a standard it may had been a success .
Strange, my Panasonic glasses are active.

flashgordon1952

Dec 16, 2019
Visit site
There was another reason for there is no 3D TVs made the worry in the USA was that the manufactures about long term exposure to wearing them could cause serious eye issues / I believe they even warned of not spending too long wearing them , as could have caused the manufacture to be sued under health and safety . Whether anyone could prove this , is another matter entirely The worry was there. ( yet we have 3D games ?) Me i think those head gear things are even more dangerous. Back in the bad old days of Computers i was a health and safety guy (BSE) for my union. we as a union , was very worried about the "Green Screens" our staff "bank" was using at the time (1980s) It was later proved long term exposure ,could cause blindness and or headaches. The screens was dangerous and we limited the staff to no more than 2 hours exposure. Within a couple of years, the bank changed to grey screens Was they ever sued ? we will never know. But i believe if they did get sued they would want to keep it quite. This is why i worry about these head gear things watching/playing of games or getting involved in real life type of events.

abacus

Thing is, virtually everything you see around you is via reflected light, not self-emissive light, and just as looking at a bright light can affect your eyesight, watching a self-emissive display may do the same, this is why when watching a TV in the dark, it is recommended to have bias lighting so as to reduce the chance of eyestrain. (This does not apply to projectors as you are watching reflected light off the screen)

Bill

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts