3D TVs - are they necessary?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
scene:Queue Pioneer with a surprise 2010 announcement
emotion-5.gif

Though possibly only if it has satnav built-in and can fit into the dash of an MG 6.
emotion-3.gif

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, 3D TVs do 2D. They don't need to be switched, it just happens if the content is standard rather than 3D.

If you watch 3D without the glasses you'll have a double image.

And a headache.

idc

So if every broadcaster goes 3D all TV watching will need glasses? What about the broadcasting of 3D football in pubs? Will you need to take your own glasses, or can you use alcohol to create the necessary effect?

So many questions, so little time......

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
With the systems currently becoming available, yes. And I assume in the pubs they will be supplying glasses, so to speak. But of course they will be the passive polarised kind rather than the active shutter models being readied for the home-use TVs.

A

Anonymous

i tell you what , wearing those glasses in pubs might not be agreeable to everyone , in fact id say the majority wouldnt bother , what happens when you get people shouting up to the barman , "come on , turn that off , put on the normal tv" ? hmmm , has sky jumped the gun a bit with these 15000 tvs ?? i mean , 15000 , thats one big potential mistake ...

Tom Moreno

Nov 30, 2008
Visit site
Andrew Everard:
Yes, 3D TVs do 2D. They don't need to be switched, it just happens if the content is standard rather than 3D.

If you watch 3D without the glasses you'll have a double image.

And a headache.

Some of the quick reviews coming out of the states showed a menu on 3D tvs where you could set the tv receiving a 3D signal to display the 3D signal in 2D using only the left eye image. Is this likely to be a feature across all ranges? It would make sense from the standpoint of if you are watching 3D content and A) more people come into the room than you have glasses for, B) you get tired/headache and wish to continue viewing in 2D, or C) you wish to watch this 3D-only content with your under 6.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Tom Moreno:Some of the quick reviews coming out of the states showed a menu on 3D tvs where you could set the tv receiving a 3D signal to display the 3D signal in 2D using only the left eye image.

Ah right, I see what you mean. I thought the question was whether 3D TVs could also display standard content.

But yes, that would seem to make perfect sense, and indeed 3D-capable Blu-ray players will be compatible with standard TVs even when playing 3D discs - they'll just play one 'eye'. Or at least that's the understanding I have from those promoting 3D.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
maxflinn:has sky jumped the gun a bit with these 15000 tvs ?? i mean , 15000 , thats one big potential mistake ...

a) That kinda depends how much investment Sky has made in the TVs. Note it's 'supplying Sky with', not 'selling to Sky'

b) And it now seems that the number is unconfirmed, at least from a statement put out by LG UK, which is at odds with the original announcement made by LG HQ in Korea.

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:
Tom Moreno:Some of the quick reviews coming out of the states showed a menu on 3D tvs where you could set the tv receiving a 3D signal to display the 3D signal in 2D using only the left eye image.

Ah right, I see what you mean. I thought the question was whether 3D TVs could also display standard content.

But yes, that would seem to make perfect sense, and indeed 3D-capable Blu-ray players will be compatible with standard TVs even when playing 3D discs - they'll just play one 'eye'. Or at least that's the understanding I have from those promoting 3D.

which will be exactly half the resolution ...

scene

maxflinn:Andrew Everard:

No, still full resolution. The BD 3D spec specifies that each eye gets 1080p at whatever Hz. So if you're viewing 3D at 1080p on at 120Hz, you're getting a 60Hz 3D image, with each eye getting a 1080p resolution picture at 60H

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
maxflinn:Andrew Everard:

No, that's kind of the point of 3DTVs, they don't lose any resolution.

scene

the_lhc:maxflinn:Andrew Everard:

No, that's kind of the point of 3DTVs, they don't lose any resolution.

Jinx.

scene

Andrew Everard:
maxflinn:has sky jumped the gun a bit with these 15000 tvs ?? i mean , 15000 , thats one big potential mistake ...

a) That kinda depends how much investment Sky has made in the TVs. Note it's 'supplying Sky with', not 'selling to Sky'

b) And it now seems that the number is unconfirmed, at least from a statement put out by LG UK, which is at odds with the original announcement made by LG HQ in Korea.

From the statement LG UK made:

"LG Electronics UK would like to further clarify the situation. The
figure of 15,000 3D TVs is inaccurate. Sky is helping support its
commercial customers purchase TVs direct from a UK third party."

That not only is the number unconfirmed, it looks more like are offering incentives to get pubs to buy the 3D TVs at their expense. Knowing Sky, that will be discounts on the exorbitant cost of the Sky public viewing licence...

A

Anonymous

sky 3d hdtv will be half the resolution , as will lgs passive 3dtvs ..

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The original release from Seoul yesterday said:

"The deal to supply the broadcaster with 15,000 3D TVs is the largest deal of its kind. Sky plans to install the TVs in public venues across the UK in advance of plans to broadcast weekly Premier League matches in 3D beginning this spring."

scene

Andrew Everard:
The original release from Seoul yesterday said:

"The deal to supply the broadcaster with 15,000 3D TVs is the largest deal of its kind. Sky plans to install the TVs in public venues across the UK in advance of plans to broadcast weekly Premier League matches in 3D beginning this spring."

Isn't it great when large corporations print publicity based on the spin that their local management has been putting on their proposed sales figures:
Reality: A large broadcaster proposes to give incentives to its commercial customers to buy our 3D screens from a preferred outlet

Spun version: We're going to supply up to 15,000 3D TVs to the Sky for its commercial customers

Publicity: Deal to supply broadcaster with 15,000 3D TVs is the largest of its kind....

Love it.

scene

Andrew Everard:Your inside knowledge being...?

A previous post issued on March 17th referenced the fact that this was publicity based on the spin that their local management has been putting on their proposed sales figures

I would like to further clarify the situation. The statement that this was over-enthusiastic marketing based on hyped up sales and management speak leading to an embarrassing volte-face is inaccurate. This is of course a minor misunderstanding between the Head Office and Regional divisions of a major corporation on the exact nature of their future sales predictions.
emotion-5.gif

scene

Andrew Everard:Ah right: I think it was your use of the term 'reality' to mean 'my opinion' that caused my confusion.

My humblest apologies, consider me duly chastised. I had missed the critical phrase out as I was typing...

Note to self: review text prior to posting.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts