admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey Guys,

Hope your all well. Got a budget of about £2k to spend on a 3D HD TV, but with so many flooding the market which one would you recommend?

Many thanks,

Lall

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
What screen size are you looking for? Actually, let's go back a stage - how far away from the TV do you sit? And watch do you plan to watch (other than 3D!) - SD TV and DVDs? HD TV and Blu-rays?

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare,

I'm sitting about 3 metres away, so was thinking of getting nothing less than a 50", and the panasonic vt is coming to mind. Mostly I intend to watch HD TV and Blu-rays, any recommendations?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
lall360:
Hi Clare,

I'm sitting about 3 metres away, so was thinking of getting nothing less than a 50", and the panasonic vt is coming to mind. Mostly I intend to watch HD TV and Blu-rays, any recommendations?

If it's a 50in 3D set for around £2K you're after, then the VT20 does fit the bill precisely - it offers great value at that size/price.

But i'd urge you to try before you buy: check you're happy with the glasses, the motion and the reflectivity of the screen - to check it's perfect for you.

And if you don't want to splash all your cash, check out Samsung's 50in 3D plasma bargain - the PS50C6900 (review here)

Checking those - and other sets - out should keep you busy until October 15th, when that Awards issue - complete with as-yet-unpublished First Test - comes out....

bob.g

Oct 30, 2009
Visit site
50" at 3 meters ?

Crikey, I'm having problems convincing my OH that 32" is a good size, compared with the 25" we have now at the same distance !

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
We seem to forget we all use to sit 3/4m away watching 28inch TV's , when i mentioned to my wife i will down grade the size of our next TV but spend a little more to get a higher quality TV , my wife didn't quite like the idea

Us men spend all this time trying to convince our partners size does not matter well it seems it does

A

Anonymous

I had a 47 inch set at 3 metres and found it too small for movies particularly when they were shown in cinema format with black top and bottom. I now have the new Samsung UE55C8000 and find it very satisfactory in most ways. A year ago I bought a Samsung 7000 set (can't remember the model number ) and sent it back after a day due to bad clouding, poor blacks and severe off centre axis brightness variations. I was a bit wary of buying this new set but did a lot more research to narrow down the choice between this set and a similar LG.Got it delivered and it was spot on more or less out of the box. It has stunning black levels with no clouding at all, is very sharp and after I switched off all of the processing I am very happy with the picture quality. After 3 years watching a set ( Tevion) which I thought was sharp but had poor black levels this new set is just stunning and is less high but just slightly wider overall so I can see more of the view behind the set and the mrs is happy. It doesn't face a bright window so does not suffer from reflections even though the screen has a shiny finish. The shop demo wasn't so good as it faced a bright window and it did have reflections.

Now the 3D side! Well I bought the set for its picture quality and when you pay this much now you get 3D as part of the package nowadays so I thought I may as well bite the bullet and accept it. I have watched both live and movies with 3D and have to say I am not totally convinced yet. Whether it's the learning curve both of my brain and/or the ways movies are shot, I am finding it quite hard to watch a long movie ,but will make an effort soon and also buy a 3D game to try on my PS3 to see if that is different. The impression I get is that my eyes are struggling to cope with all the different changes in the plane of focus which is determined by the way the 3D is constructed in production. I also find that even though it is 3D it seems to be like a number of cards stacked one in front of another ( the only way I can explain it!) and not a smooth transition between them. I think you can only judge it yourself as I think 3D viewing is a lot more personal which is why some like it and some hate it.

OK so the jury is out on the 3D side but I can thoroughly recommend this tv for 2D even though it is a bit over your budget, but I bet prices come down even more as the next gen models start appearing at the shows....doh!!!

A

Anonymous

bigboss:professorhat:

50" at 3 metres is just about perfect for HD I'd say.

For me, that distance (9ft) is perfect for SD as well on my 50-inch Kuro.
same here, and my lg is no kuro, perfectly acceptable sd at that distance though...

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your help, still going to keep looking and will probably hold out for any decent xmas offers to pop up.

A

Anonymous

ive just got home from viewing the 46" panasonic and have to say.. it was fantastic!
My question is, is the 3D image as good if your sat back further?
As i'm looking at buying the 50" version(and understand that 3 metres is a good distance at which to watch HD & SD)is the 3D quality affected in any way, from viewing at this distance??
Unfortunately, the 3D glasses were pinned to a pedestal so couldn't stand back any further to have my question answered while in store.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts