3D Bluray and HDMI 1.3 options (help!)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Good afternoon,

I've just returned from the Manchester Show and the lovely people at Samsung managed to convince me to buy the 40" UE40C8000 television. I'd needed a new set for awhile and I'd gone with the idea of viewing some of the Sonys and Samsungs, but Sony didn't have any on display! Anyway, I was very impressed with the UE40C8000 (and it won the What HiF Premium 40" TV of the year ;) ). I reckon getting it for £1300 with £200 cashback from Samsung and a free 3d starter pack of 3 pairs of glasses and a 3D blu ray disc was a steal!

I'd gone to the show with the idea that I'm not that impressed by 3D TVs and it was not a feature I was looking for in a TV and I'm still of this mind. I bought the set for its excellent 2D features, however the inclusion of 3 sets of glasses and a LoveFilm subscription that will supply 3D movies means it's something I'll be willing to give another chance.

So, now I need to buy a 3D Blu Ray player, but this leads me to my main conundrum and where the limits of the knowledge start to show...

I was ideally looking at the Sony SDP-S570 as I've yet to read a bad review of it, however my Sony STR-DH800 AV receiver only supports HDMI 1.3. As the above player only has one HDMI output I realise this will casue some problems, but I'm not sure exactly what my options are. As I say, for the moment 3D is just a interesting feature for me to play with and I bought the TV fully aware I wouldn't have a proper compatibility with my amp, but...

1.) What are my options for using a single 1.3 HDMI socket to get 3D through my amp? No surround sound? No 1080p?

2.) If these are unacceptable to me, any recommendations of a Blu Ray deck with 2 HDMI outs?

3.) How does (2) work in practice? How do I connect everything up?

Sorry for the very newbie questions, it's been a while since I've looked at upgrading my kit and I didn't expect to walk away with a 3D TV with enough pairs of glasses to consider using...

A

Anonymous

afaik you've got two choices re. 3d players, the samsung bdp-c6900, which doesnt have two hdmi's but has multi channel analogue outs that you could connect to the sony avr with..

or the panasonic 3d player of which the exact model number eludes me, bdt-300 i think, thats got twin hdmi, one goes to your tv and one to your avr, the player itself splits the audio, video data..

the samsung is quite a bit cheaper too
emotion-21.gif

D

Deleted member 2457

maxflinn:

afaik you've got two choices re. 3d players, the samsung bdp-c6900, which doesnt have two hdmi's but has multi channel analogue outs that you could connect to the sony avr with..

or the panasonic 3d player of which the exact model number eludes me, bdt-300 i think, thats got twin hdmi, one goes to your tv and one to your avr, the player itself splits the audio, video data..

emotion-21.gif

Max if i bought a 3d blu ray player would i have to buy a 1.4hdmi cable?

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

What would happen if I connected the Blu Ray player directly to the TV and then connected the amp via optical cable?

A

Anonymous

gel:maxflinn:

emotion-21.gif

Max if i bought a 3d blu ray player would i have to buy a 1.4hdmi cable?

Thanks
emotion-21.gif

not if you bought either of the two mentioned above and used your surround speakers, but yes if you buy another type, or want to go direct to the tv, bypassing your avr..

A

Anonymous

pryonic:
What would happen if I connected the Blu Ray player directly to the TV and then connected the amp via optical cable?

i respect your line of thinking, kinda crafty
emotion-1.gif
, i dont think that would work though..

D3CYPH3R

Aug 26, 2010
Visit site
Not sure if the samsung will pass 5.1 via optical. You could run the optical or coax out from the blu-ray player, this won't be HD 5.1 but normal DD or DTS

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts