37in LCD : HD Ready or Full HD????

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello

I'm looking to buy a 37" LCD. I have for example the Samsung LE37R87BDX in mind. I've also looked at the Philips 37PF9641D and the Samsung M87 series and a couple of others. Can anyone tell me if there's a massive difference in quality between watching regular Sky (not HD) on a HD Ready set compared to regular Sky on a Full HD one? I don't have SKY HD yet so that's why.

Also would like to have advice on which one to buy. I've read raving reviews about the Samsung but don't really dig Samsung that much. Would prefer 40" Bravia but that's just a bit too big...

Cheers

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="eelkojan"]
Can anyone tell me if there's a massive difference in quality between watching regular Sky (not HD) on a HD Ready set compared to regular Sky on a Full HD one? I don't have SKY HD yet so that's why.[/quote]

No, none at all.

[quote user="eelkojan"]

Also would like to have advice on which one to buy.
I've read raving reviews about the Samsung but don't really dig Samsung
that much. Would prefer 40" Bravia but that's just a bit too big...[/quote]

We tested a whole stack of 37in TVs in our August issue: the Panasonic TH-37PX70 came out top, with the Samsung LE37R88BD close behind.

A

Anonymous

the panasonic is plasma right? the obvious, million times asked question is then of course (sorry for asking...): why plasma over LCD, especially this panasonic over this samsung???

and secondly : the difference between R87 and R88 is purely cosmetic, isn't it?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="eelkojan"]
the panasonic is plasma right? the obvious, million times asked question is then of course (sorry for asking...): why plasma over LCD, especially this panasonic over this samsung???[/quote]

Purely on picture quality, especially in black tones and skintones.

[quote user="eelkojan"]

and secondly : the difference between R87 and R88 is purely cosmetic, isn't it?

[/quote]

AFAIK, yes, but Samsung does play a lot of model-number bingo, with different model suffixes and even numbers for different retailers. As it said in the test regarding the Samsung, 'we must reiterate that our rating applies only to the LE37R88BD', which seems to be exclusive to Currys/Dixons.

A

Anonymous

thanks a lot for your help. going to a couple of shops this afternoon to check these two out....might be back tomorrow if i haven't made up my mind yet!

A

Anonymous

I purchased the Panasonic TH37PX70 at weekend following advice on this forum and WOW! It is fantastic and I am so pleased with it. Currently watching standard def on sky which is awesome, can't wait till weekend when I get sky HD !!

It is a fantastc TV

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts