33 / 45 switch

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
So after using for some time TT with automatic 33 / 45 switch I can say that it is extremely useful feature. I use it non stop to be honest and really would not like to take off the platter to change the belt on the pulleys every time again. Still many renown manufacturers produce TTs without the automatic speed adjustment (Rega etc.) (?). Those who are planning on buying a new TT and are newbies look out for this feature. Those without the switch - how do you cope with it and does it really not bother you ?

brownz

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
stereoman said:
So after using for some time TT with automatic 33 / 45 switch I can say that it is extremely useful feature. I use it non stop to be honest and really would not like to take off the platter to change the belt on the pulleys every time again. Still many renown manufacturers produce TTs without the automatic speed adjustment (Rega etc.) (?). Those who are planning on buying a new TT and are newbies look out for this feature. Those without the switch - how do you cope with it and does it really not bother you ?

Heh, I have the 2-Xperience SB at home, which features the built in SpeedBox.

TBH I've never used it.

I've got a handful of singles, none of which are of note or that are worth re-visiting. I have no 78s at all.

If I did have it wouldn't bother me at all, if you have the knack you can change the speed on a Pro-Ject tt without even stopping the motor, and if you did stop the motor it takes around 2 seconds at most to move the belt from the 33 to the 45 groove (models with sub platters excluded). YMMV with other brands.

IMHO It's always been one less thing that can go wrong if it's not there.

As we all know switches have finite lives, they wear, and the physical operation of a switch also creates bounce / spikes / rf noise.

But that's all personal preference. It's a nice thing to have, and that's why it's offered by most manufacturers.

chris_bates1974

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm not bothered either. I have a few singles, but if I wanted to listen to them, I'd use the streamed version. For me, my TT only gets used for LPs. I simply have no inclination to get up after 3-5 minutes to flip a record.

I do love records, but it really is true that they are the most awkward, inconvenient, prone to error, and expensive way to listen to music!!!!

stereoman said:
Ok but guys, just wanted to add it is not only about the singles. There are many full size LPs recorded in 45. Also many EPs. But I get what you mean.

You are correct. I have quite a few double LPs recorded at 45rpm but as previously stated it's not that much of a hassle, even with my old Rega Planar 3 you have to get up to change the LP and it takes no time to remove platter and move the belt on the pulleys. My my only concern is, if done incorrectly, it may stretch said belt but long-term it's better than a faulty switch.

Also as noted quite a few decks can now be retrofitted with a speed control by upgrading the power supply, which isn't such a bad thing anyway.

Out of around 200+ albums, I have maybe 3 that are 45rpm. But, my turntable has the belt running around the exterior of the platter, with the motor exposed, so it takes only a second to move from one speed to the other.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Al ears said:
stereoman said:
Ok but guys, just wanted to add it is not only about the singles. There are many full size LPs recorded in 45. Also many EPs. But I get what you mean.

You are correct. I have quite a few double LPs recorded at 45rpm but as previously stated it's not that much of a hassle, even with my old Rega Planar 3 you have to get up to change the LP and it takes no time to remove platter and move the belt on the pulleys. My my only concern is, if done incorrectly, it may stretch said belt but long-term it's better than a faulty switch.

Also as noted quite a few decks can now be retrofitted with a speed control by upgrading the power supply, which isn't such a bad thing anyway.

Ok but what about the belt ? Switching the pulleys needs stretching the belt a bit now and again...that is detrimental a bit to the belt I think. With automatic switch you do not intervene into the belt.

Jahvelvet

Nov 10, 2016
Visit site
I tend to have sessions where I listen to mostly singles at a time or albums most of which are 45 or 33 rpm respectively but not always. I went from a turntable with a switchable speed control to one where I have to move the belt on a pulley above the motor and it takes about the same time as pushing a button

stereoman said:
Al ears said:
stereoman said:

Ok but what about the belt ? Switching the pulleys needs stretching the belt a bit now and again...that is detrimental a bit to the belt I think. With automatic switch you do not intervene into the belt.

The actual change in diameters of the pulleys to change from 33 to 45 is minimal. No doubt a certain degree of stretch can be accommodated by a well made belt.

However, if you're set on a switch then you simply limit the number of turntables you audition.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
I don't listen to many 45s, but clearly it was just another excuse to simplify the manufacturing process and reduce costs, accompanied sometimes by a very dubious justification that removing such 'unnecessary' mechanical/electrical controls improves the sound quality. That's another one of those daft claims which bounces the needle off the end of the bullshitometer, unless you have 'gullible' tattooed on your head.

MajorFubar said:
I don't listen to many 45s, but clearly it was just another excuse to simplify the manufacturing process and reduce costs, accompanied sometimes by a very dubious justification that removing such 'unnecessary' mechanical/electrical controls improves the sound quality. That's another one of those daft claims which bounces the needle off the end of the bullshitometer, unless you have 'gullible' tattooed on your head.

I would have to disagree. The design of certain turntables make it almost compulsory that speed switching becomes a manual effort. If you find that a drudge then don't buy those turntables, simples. Go direct drive my son.....

On another note I will agree that much is done building turntables down to a budget because these are sold as a majority of the company's turnover. The fact that newbies are not prepared to pay more for a turntable with more advanced functionality speaks for itself. Once again I reiterate, a decent turntable based set-up is difficult to attain with a limited budget.

stereoman

Mar 22, 2016
Visit site
Ok, but regarding the last two comments - is it really so "necessary" to remove certain features like full stop / speed changes etc. due to electrical component noise in TT ? Please prove that they do interfere with the sound. Actually I am dubious as well that all those cuts make the sound better.

stereoman said:
Ok, but regarding the last two comments - is it really so "necessary" to remove certain features like full stop / speed changes etc. due to electrical component noise in TT ? Please prove that they do interfere with the sound. Actually I am dubious as well that all those cuts make the sound better.

In the majority of cases they are not cuts just something that isn't factored in as necessary. Component noise has nothing to do with it. Once a motor is involved it has to be isolated enough not to effect the turntable itself, adding a variable speed motor does nothing to change this effect.

They are simply not included because it keeps production costs of the turntables down. Some can be upgraded at a later date if you simply must have a speed change mechanism but this usually means the addition of an extra box.

By far the easiest way of adding this speed change ability is the Rega double pulley configuration. No possible misreading items here if you believe any additional circuits add noise that is. By their very nature switches can get noisy over the years but initially you wouldn't notice it. Once you fit one though you then have to additional components that allow you to accurately set that speed, this is where cost comes in and, hopefully, not noise.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts