Advice on AR The Turntable 33 > 45

Toxteth O'Grady

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
I'm unable to find a manual anywhere so I'm not sure how to change the speed from 33 to 45. Looking at the spindle, it appears the belt should be lowered to the bottom section but each time I do this, the belt slips back up to the 33 position on the spindle. Would altering the height of the platter remedy this?

I'm unable to find a manual anywhere so I'm not sure how to change the speed from 33 to 45. Looking at the spindle, it appears the belt should be lowered to the bottom section but each time I do this, the belt slips back up to the 33 position on the spindle. Would altering the height of the platter remedy this?
New one on me .
Can you actually lower the height of platter?
I doubt this was necessary i the original deck but doubt it. Normally you can only adjust height of pulley.
A new deck maybe the way to go if you need 45rpm

Reactions: Toxteth O'Grady
Welcome to the forum.

The manual is on Vinyl Engine, but you probably have to register first. I have attached the relevant extract.

You’re doing the right thing, but given your deck must be almost 40 years old it’s quite possible the belt has seen better days, the pulley needs cleaning or the suspension is out of alignment.

IMG_1328.png

Reactions: WayneKerr

Toxteth O'Grady

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
Brilliant, thank you for that. I tried to register for VE but they're not taking new members, alas. Comparing with the arrangement in the diagram, it looks as if the base of my inner platter is not in line with the 45 section of the spindle meaning the belt pulls at an angle and slips off.IMG_0049 copy.jpg

Last edited:
Brilliant, thank you for that. I tried to register for VE but they're not taking new members, alas. Comparing with the arrangement in the diagram, it looks as if the base of my inner platter is not in line with the 45 section of the spindle meaning the belt pulls at an angle and slips off.View attachment 5510
There should be a way of increasing the height of the pulley on the motor shaft if the platter cannot be lowered, and it does look a tad high. Look for a small grub screw somewhere on the pulley itself.
As previously stated the suspension may need to be adjusted to lower the sub platter slightly as the belt is obviously in the correct position for playing at 33 1/3 rpm

Reactions: WayneKerr

Gray

Looking at the photo have you removed the outer platter?
The weight of this should move the whole lot downwards.
Perhaps it is a suspension issue and if you want to keep it perhaps a service by a competent dealer might be in order.
That's the answer I think 👍
Certainly if it's like my Thorens 160S, where the sub platter relies on the (substantial) weight of the main platter to bring it to the correct height for use.

Looking at the photo have you removed the outer platter?
The weight of this should move the whole lot downwards.
Perhaps it is a suspension issue and if you want to keep it perhaps a service by a competent dealer might be in order.
You’re spot on, Al. And that’s why the instructions I posted show exactly that, the platter inverted!

@Toxteth O'Grady figure 9 shows the pulley. Instruction number 11 explains what to do.

Toxteth O'Grady

Nov 9, 2023
Visit site
Thanks, guys. Yes I think the outer platter will move everything down to its 'correct' position. My current theory is that a worn belt is the culprit so I'm replacing it immediately.

Reactions: Al ears

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts