320kbps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I was talking about Spotify's 320kbps vs my CDs. All played through the DAC on my CDP, and my amps, and my speakers, using the same cables. The 320kbps lacks bass, is therefore overly trebly and really nowhere near as nice a listen. Fine for background music but for proper listening...erm no.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby: It is obvious from what you say that you (literally) don't have much time for music, whereas I work from home so have the system on up to 15 hours a day.

You lucky .... Yeah, music (or even home cinema) is a luxury for me, inasmuch that it's something I only get to do now and again so I like to maximise the experience, hence as to why I got the best TV I could find for watching films. I'll be doing the same thing for the music side of things now that I'm in a position to.

We are diametrically opposed even on the subject of radio. If forced to a choice I would throw out the TV and DVD (and even the CD player) if it meant I could keep a radio and yet I cannot enjoy radio in a car.

Oh that's easy enough to achieve, just spend 4 hours a day sitting on the M5 (other motorways are available)...
emotion-9.gif

A

Anonymous

I listen to 320kbps mp3's and if anything they have a slightly more woolly bass, slightly more pronounced than Flac. They are certainly improved via my Dac.

320kbps mp3's are perfectly acceptable to me, some people on the forum seem to display a obsessive behaviour when it comes to music formats/cables/mains supplies etc.

For me, the music comes first!

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:You lucky ....

Well I had 28 years of 'going to work' like everyone else. Not only that, but all on rotating shifts. So I worked (still work) nights, evenings, days, every other weekend, some bank holidays - even Christmas day - and a mixture of 12 hour shifts (at weekends) and 8 hour shifts.

Two years ago, when the opportunity was presented, I bought myself a (company approved) laptop and got myself set up here at home. We can use a company 'pool' laptop but I preferred to buy my own. That way I get a higher spec machine, and I get to keep it if I leave and I don't inherit someones else's old breakfast crumbs lodged in between keys etc! My Dell laptop's 4 year onsite, next day cover is also 10 times speedier than our IT support dept could ever conceive of being.

I save a fortune in travel costs, and company 'restaurant' food/coffees etc, and my free time starts the second I log-off for the day (or night) and I 'arrive' at work 10 minutes after getting up (via bathroom and kitchen) with a great big mug of hot fresh tea made exactly how I like it to start the day (or night) rather than the overpriced #### spat out of some machine at work.

I get to listen to whatever I want whilst working, at whatever volume I choose (except at night when it is kept low for the folks obviously).

Anyone who can do this should. It is a great sanity saver. On a sunny day I can move the laptop/screen/keyboard/mouse/documents/wireless phone extension out on to the conservatory table and watch the garden whilst working and listen to the Pure Evoke Flow internet/DAB/FM radio instead.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
Bert Puttocks:320kbps mp3's are perfectly acceptable to me, some people on the forum seem to display a obsessive behaviour when it comes to music formats/cables/mains supplies etc.

So "the music comes first", does that mean then that given the choice between ripping at 320kbps and ripping at lossless, you'd choose 320kbps?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:
chebby: Anyone who can do this should.

It would help if you told us what it was you were doing...

Sorry. I just meant anyone who get's a chance to work from home should. (Not do my particular job.)

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Bert Puttocks:320kbps mp3's are perfectly acceptable to me, some people on the forum seem to display a obsessive behaviour when it comes to music formats/cables/mains supplies etc.

So "the music comes first", does that mean then that given the choice between ripping at 320kbps and ripping at lossless, you'd choose 320kbps?

+1

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Willie Cocker:the_lhc:So "the music comes first", does that mean then that given the choice between ripping at 320kbps and ripping at lossless, you'd choose 320kbps?

+1

All right, then, 321kbps. Pedant...
emotion-4.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby:
Andrew Everard:As his avatar suggests, Chebby flies long-range nuclear bombers. From home.

Well not any more Andrew
emotion-1.gif

Though I do still have a bike lock!

No, I do something terribly prosaic in the backwaters of IT.

I was going to make a joke about being paid to surf the net from home, but presumably I'm not that far off the mark then?

Unfortunately I'm in front-line IT so I can't work from home (client doesn't allow VPN access sadly). Maybe someday, when I become a manager or something...

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Willie Cocker:the_lhc:So "the music comes first", does that mean then that given the choice between ripping at 320kbps and ripping at lossless, you'd choose 320kbps?

+1

All right, then, 321kbps. Pedant...
emotion-4.gif

emotion-2.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
the_lhc:I was going to make a joke about being paid to surf the net from home, but presumably I'm not that far off the mark then?

I could say "back at you" but I don't know if you are on a day off and you don't know what shift I am on today. Either way we are both here during what normal people call 'business' hours.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
chebby:the_lhc:I was going to make a joke about being paid to surf the net from home, but presumably I'm not that far off the mark then?
I could say "back at you" but I don't know if you are on a day off and you don't know what shift I am on today. Either way we are both here during what normal people call 'business' hours.

Sorry, I didn't mean it like that. I'm quite happy to admit at work now, the job is sporadic. I was genuinely inquiring as to whether your job involved surfing the net, which obviously can be done from home easily, unlike my job, which can't.

I want to know what sort of career I should be looking at so I can stay at home!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:Bert Puttocks:320kbps mp3's are perfectly acceptable to me, some people on the forum seem to display a obsessive behaviour when it comes to music formats/cables/mains supplies etc.

If I was ripping it would be lossless; if its something I download; 320kbps is perfectly acceptable (as I said).

The music (still) comes first!

cse

Mar 3, 2008
Visit site
SACD is by far the best for audio quality, followed very closely by FM radio broadcasts. I bitterly regret purchasing my cpd Densen 420, which doesn't offer SACD. I should have bought the Yamaha.

pauldownton1979

Jun 24, 2009
Visit site
listen at home when you want, if you want,what you want. at the best quality you can get - cd or for those that have it - cd/sacd whatever

want a party with the latest songs available that you arnt going to buy coz you will never play them again ?

cant be bothered puting your drink down to change cd every 40m ?

want to listen to hidden obscure gems you cant buy ?

mp3/apple/pears/bananas/lossless/findless whatever

do you think your guests are going to come up to you midway through ' timewarp ' and say ' excuse me host, do you realise this *** song would be much more appreciated in 320kbps' ?

no, neither do i

take things for what they are convenience v quality - thats what we are asking, only there will never be a correct answer because both are right

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
pauldownton1979:
listen at home when you want, if you want,what you want. at the best quality you can get - cd or for those that have it - cd/sacd whatever

want a party with the latest songs available that you arnt going to buy coz you will never play them again ?

cant be bothered puting your drink down to change cd every 40m ?

want to listen to hidden obscure gems you cant buy ?

mp3/apple/pears/bananas/lossless/findless whatever

do you think your guests are going to come up to you midway through ' timewarp ' and say ' excuse me host, do you realise this *** song would be much more appreciated in 320kbps' ?

no, neither do i

take things for what they are convenience v quality - thats what we are asking, only there will never be a correct answer because both are right

Couldn't agree more. That's half the reason I got a new CDP with digital in. I can Spotify playlists, and later on put CDs on to chill at higher quality.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site

idc

Nice one Chebby. I have followed the advice given in the 'For Windows XP' and Spotify sounds better! But I also tried itunes and it has not cured the crackling problem.

EDIT - I should say; the changes I made were to set the volume in Sounds and Devices at maximum (turning down the volume on my amp to compensate) and changing the sample rate from 44.1 to 96 khz in Quicktime. As a result the bass (which Joel criticised for being awol ) has beefed up and overall clarity has improved slightly.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
idc, have you tried downloading and reinstalling iTunes completely across the top of the one you have now?

You won't lose anything (settings, playlists, purchased, account details etc.will all get picked up fine.)

Do your regular system backup first though, just for peace of mind.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts