320 bee finding it muddy / muffled at low volumes with 602 B&W s3 bookshelves, maybe change out amp? Brio R?

morrillt

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I like to watch netflix via apple tv -> vda2 DA-> nad 320bee -> 602's from b&w.

When I am listening at a normal tv level, I find that vocals are a bit muddy / muffled, ie too much bass. I put the speakers on ear level and pulled them out from the wall, but i keep on finding myself getting pulled out of the movie and not being able to hear whats going on, unless i put on headphones.

This is especially true when people arent talking loudly on the movie, ie to the side or whispered tones.

I am not sure what it is, but i have heard the 320 and 602s are both wwarm, maybe its just exagerating the bass too much, i turn bass all the way down when i watch things, and still feel myself straining.

This combo sounds great for music, where someone is singing directly into a mic, and its relatively high volume just sucks for movies,m where sometimes vocals are less intense.

ANy advise for changing out the amp that and or speakers? I can only do 1 of these at a time, and can afford up to 1.5k of investment. Ideally I would get a new amp, and get some improvement, and then through down for new speakers next year and have 2 systems.... ideally i get a super great integrated or power amp that i can run through this system, and then save of for some amazing 2k speakers next year like the pm1's or scm19's :)

If the issue though is with the speakers I can put down say 1500 for a new pair. Its all about clarity / soundstage for me. New speakers would have to run off the bee for now though until i can afford the next upgrade installment.

Best,

Todd

Cables etc are all super +.

What could i expect if i got a brio r into this baby?

Tear Drop

Apr 23, 2008
Visit site
One of the flaws of pretty much the entire B&W 600 series (I've heard most of them at some time or other) was that they don't really perform well at low volume. The sound just seems to collapse into the speakers. Demo some different speakers is my advice.

manicm

Tear Drop said:
One of the flaws of pretty much the entire B&W 600 series (I've heard most of them at some time or other) was that they don't really perform well at low volume. The sound just seems to collapse into the speakers. Demo some different speakers is my advice.

What many don't get is that though each iteration of the 600 series has been eminently affordable., they've always demanded higher than average amps. The 320BEE is not the last word in clarity.

gurjitsidhu

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
can you demo the AS500 amp from yamaha? richer sounds are doing them at a reduced price just now.

I have the 684 bloorstanders with AS500 amp and tv sounds great- i have an optical signal going from tv to rega dac then to amp in pure direct mode and everythings well balanced. so i imagine with bookshelf speakers the bass will be even less and vocals should be good.

try to demo that amp

morrillt

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Tear drop.

that seems to be sound hypothesis, can anyone confirm tear drops assessment of the 600 line at low volume?

I dont have the luxury of many choices, I actually have to travel to do the demoing :)

But I could try cm7's but i would hate to run into the same issue......

could i use the 320bee with the cm7 while i wait for the cash for the amp upgrade?

thoughts? There is just a 30% off on some cm7;s that are on floor at demo right now could probably push for 40%

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
You had a four page thread on this a little while ago.

You said then and you have said now it sounds 'great' with music - therefore there is nothing wrong wth your amp or speakers.

Several people told you it was an issue with a multi-channel soundtrack downmixing to stereo. Why have you ignored them and made a new thread?

You have a common problem - see here:

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?p=187175&sid=6925f74fb0432bd2486cdcf91ff26ee3

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/beginners-audiophytes/86600-netflix-speech-dialogue-audio-too-quiet%3B-everything-else-too-loud.html

http://www.neowin.net/forum/topic/1001602-quiet-voice-loud-everything-else/

http://forums.cnet.com/7723-7596_102-598065/netflix-and-hulu-speech-volume-too-quiet-youtube-fine/

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=2314

morrillt

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Makka Pakka, I have a hard time finding and tracking older posts, in this forum, I watched the replies for the first two pages, and no one really offered helpful advise like this. And I assumed it was my gear.

MakkaPakka

May 25, 2013
Visit site
I hope the information is helpful. I don't really watch films much nowadays so have never looked into a solution myself but it is something I encountered in the past - it was a complete pain. A lot of TVs and AV amps have settings to compensate for this.

It's interesting that on both threads you made people hadn't actually read you post and started throwing around recommendations to spend lots of money.

morrillt

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
I think deep down we all just want an excuse to upgrade our systems :) I really want to listent to the ls50 from kef.

The thing that confuses me is when i put headphones into the ampo, everything seems pefect, so i dont know why when It goes out to the speakers there seems to be this loss.....

Todd

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts