300 pound setup might surprise (recommendations)

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
I picked up a second hand Sony Str da 2400es for 84 pounds the other day. I have a trond aptx Bluetooth device purchased off Amazon for 25 pounds and a set of JBL lsr 305 s picked up for about 190 quid.

It may well not be hifi but I had the option of getting a 300 pound Bluetooth speaker. While what I got is not portable (and I am not saying what I got is the best at price) I'd doubt I could do much better sound quality wise for the price.

Anyone else have any recommendations at this price point

But the average person buying a £300 Bluetooth speaker are buying it for a reason - a pair of active speakers with two mains leads and a big box sitting between them with another mains cable, plus other cables is exactly what they’re buying that wireless one box speaker. They want the lack of cables, they want the simplicity, and they may well want some portability, but what they’re avoiding is a mess of cables and numerous boxes.

I would also presume that the main reason the average buyer would go for a pair of active speakers is also to cut down on boxes, rather than have a great hulking AV amp to have to house somewhere.

In both of these situations, sound quality isn’t the first consideration.

insider9

I'm afraid you've overpaid :)

Sony STR-DB930 is the absolute jewel and usually can be had for £30-£40. Add a pair of DALI 104 speakers for £60-£100. And a Bluetooth dongle or CCA and you have a sub £200 system. And if you're lucky it'll all cost you £150.

*biggrin*

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
davidf said:
But the average person buying a £300 Bluetooth speaker are buying it for a reason - a pair of active speakers with two mains leads and a big box sitting between them with another mains cable, plus other cables is exactly what they’re buying that wireless one box speaker. They want the lack of cables, they want the simplicity, and they may well want some portability, but what they’re avoiding is a mess of cables and numerous boxes.

I would also presume that the main reason the average buyer would go for a pair of active speakers is also to cut down on boxes, rather than have a great hulking AV amp to have to house somewhere. 

In both of these situations, sound quality isn’t the first consideration. 
My wording was probably unfortunate.

You are entirely correct in your observations about a Bluetooth speaker. My aim was to spend small and try get something flexible with good sound.

I do like powered speakers, the reasoning behind the av receiver was due it's preouts section and it's multiple inputs it works very well as a control hub/preamp.

Seems my keeness to share a happy bargain came across as a shot at other setups. Not intended

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
insider9 said:
I'm afraid you've overpaid :)

Sony STR-DB930 is the absolute jewel and usually can be had for £30-£40. Add a pair of DALI 104 speakers for £60-£100. And a Bluetooth dongle or CCA and you have a sub £200 system. And if you're lucky it'll all cost you £150.

*biggrin*
Maybe.

I do however often find these really cheap bargains are not applicable to me as being in Ireland often stuff just won't ship here, or indeed be costly to do so.

The Dali's look nice.

I'm happy with the Sony at 84, had a phono section should I need it and sacd ability, probably never use it but never know.

I must come back here again when I need my bubble burst :)

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Muljao, first of all, congratulations on putting together a nice little system for £300. I can fully relate to you being as pleased as punch with it. It's the sort of system that will put a big smile on your face every time you listen to it and remember how little you paid for it all.

Moving onto "Anyone else have any recommendations at this price point" - yes, I have loads.

At this sort of price point it's all about keeping your mind and your eyes open and looking for whatever deals are going. Which therefore makes it too restrictive to recommend specific items only.

However, Phillips TDA1541A based CD players are still mega bargains at £20 to £40. I've also been reading intriguing reports on brand new £6.15 ebay DACs with £39 linear regulated power supplies.

1980's pro high end (cinema) amps can be picked up for peanuts, as can plenty of good enough Japanese integrateds from various eras.

Speakers, the biggest bargains - sound quality wise - are big, ugly, old, abused, broken, high end professional (studio monitors, theatre speakers). Or some Frankenstein (raised from the dead and spare parts) DIY job.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
davidf, the main reason that most buyers of £300 bluetooth speakers go down that route is because they haven't discovered / delved into hi-fi magazines or forums. IE nothing to do with cables and pfaff and more to do with not knowing or not caring what else is available.

In the same way that families go on package holidays to major tourist destinations instead of doing something more personalised instead - where for the same price they'd be able to get nicer food, better beaches, or more interesting activities and places to visit instead.

lindsayt said:
davidf, the main reason that most buyers of £300 bluetooth speakers go down that route is because they haven't discovered / delved into hi-fi magazines or forums. IE nothing to do with cables and pfaff and more to do with not knowing or not caring what else is available.
I doubt you’d find 10% of those who own a single, wireless speaker who would swap it for an equivalently priced mish mash of bits and bobs bought used off eBay, regardless of sound quality. Most are after ease of use, convenience, and something compact.

Many don’t get much of an option when they visit the likes of Currys or Selfridges nowadays as they lander to the masses, and I doubt they’d have been swayed otherwise by tech magazines that excessively promote the type of thing they end up buying - after all, they’re 5 star products!

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Muljao, first of all, congratulations on putting together a nice little system for £300. I can fully relate to you being as pleased as punch with it. It's the sort of system that will put a big smile on your face every time you listen to it and remember how little you paid for it all.

Moving onto "Anyone else have any recommendations at this price point" - yes, I have loads.

At this sort of price point it's all about keeping your mind and your eyes open and looking for whatever deals are going. Which therefore makes it too restrictive to recommend specific items only.

However, Phillips TDA1541A based CD players are still mega bargains at £20 to £40. I've also been reading intriguing reports on brand new £6.15 ebay DACs with £39 linear regulated power supplies.

1980's pro high end (cinema) amps can be picked up for peanuts, as can plenty of good enough Japanese integrateds from various eras.

Speakers, the biggest bargains - sound quality wise - are big, ugly, old, abused, broken, high end professional (studio monitors, theatre speakers). Or some Frankenstein (raised from the dead and spare parts) DIY job.

Thank you

insider9

Lindsay is our absolute expert in these things so worth paying attention and should you wish even going through his old replies.

Muljao, by the way mate. I'm glad you've gone this way. I remember about a year and a bit ago it was brand new equipment only. Second hand opens up a world of opportunities.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
insider9 said:
Lindsay is our absolute expert in these things so worth paying attention and should you wish even going through his old replies.

A huge priceless benefit Lindsayt has is experience. While his advice is technically sound, the fact is most folks wanting to put together a cheap system couldn't tell a bee from a bull's foot when it comes to identifying which particular used items represent a bargain, particularly speakers, and unfortunately he doesn't run a 24 hour helpline.

D

Deleted member 160668

I've also been reading intriguing reports on brand new £6.15 ebay DACs with £39 linear regulated power supplies.

Lindsayt - could you please provide link or info as this sounds interesting.

Thanks.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
amormusic, check out the first 3 pages of this thread:

https://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49177

I would stress that at this stage, bake-offs are very much needed to evaluate how good these ultra cheapo DAC's with power supplies are.

Anyone up for a DAC bake-off?

Andrewjvt

Jun 18, 2014
Visit site
lindsayt said:
amormusic, check out the first 3 pages of this thread:

https://www.hifisubjectivist.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=49177

I would stress that at this stage, bake-offs are very much needed to evaluate how good these ultra cheapo DAC's with power supplies are.

Anyone up for a DAC bake-off?

With a chord want to put money where the mouth is.

D

Deleted member 160668

Thanks.

I will buy one once got my Arcam back (it’s off being repaired) as it’s cheap as chips.

I would be up for a bake-off and could bring along el-cheapo. Would be interested to hear this against some serious DACs.

I plan on making some big changes to my setup post Oct... I’m after some PMCs, a decent streamer (pos a CXN), or pos a decent DAC to go between the CCA/CDP and amp if I can achieve a similar result. So DACs are intetesting to me currently.

For the peanuts this is though I’ll give it a whirl in the interim.

*sorry to OP for derailing the thread a little

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
amormusic said:
Thanks. 

I will buy one once got my Arcam back (it’s off being repaired) as it’s cheap as chips. 

I would be up for a bake-off and could bring along el-cheapo. Would be interested to hear this against some serious DACs. 

I plan on making some big changes to my setup post Oct... I’m after some PMCs, a decent streamer (pos a CXN), or pos a decent DAC to go between the CCA/CDP and amp if I can achieve a similar result. So DACs are intetesting to me currently. 

For the peanuts this is though I’ll give it a whirl in the interim. 

*sorry to OP for derailing the thread a little  

*Not really derailed- still talking about bargains in hifi terms and how they stand up to not hifi bargains :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts