$2500 or less build?

USMC1316

Dec 28, 2020
Visit site
I need some advice for a sub $2500 audio build.
I am completely new to this stuff, so here we go.
I have a record player (Rega P1, with a Rega preamp), i don't have a speaker set to play them on. I went to my local best buy and they had a set of Phantom reactor 600. I was blown away by the way they sound. The sales guy tried to get me to purchase Kef ls50, but they didn't sound nearly as good at the reactor.
So my concerns are, this was 5 mins of listing in a bust best buy store, the cost is hefty. Is there a better speaker, amp setup? The Kef lacked enough bass for me, let em know your thoughts on the Phantom or a better system out there before i spend the money, please :)

D

Deleted member 116933

the first question you need to ask the sales man at best buy is how you would go about connecting your record player to the Phantom reactors, i believe its a separate box but i could be wrong. but worth asking.

The Phantom reactors do a have a very appealing up front sound, but in my experience that bass eventually get very fatiguing in a living room and mask's the treble and mid range a little in that regard the KEF's beat them hands down. But Dj shadow did sound very impressive and its the first time ive heard three ralphs presented in its full bass heavy glory without the need for a subwoofer.

But id urge you to give both an extended listen , at least 30mins each with music you know and love
And tell the sale man/women to leave you along for that time.

In my experience though Phantom (devialet) have stood behind there product for far longer than kef have with there outgoing ls50's. In that respect they get my vote.

You might want to look at Sonos play 5's as well as you're looking at products of this type.

Then you have Swan, Edifer, Genalec and so on a little more like the kefs

USMC1316

Dec 28, 2020
Visit site
the first question you need to ask the sales man at best buy is how you would go about connecting your record player to the Phantom reactors, i believe its a separate box but i could be wrong. but worth asking.

The Phantom reactors do a have a very appealing up front sound, but in my experience that bass eventually get very fatiguing in a living room and mask's the treble and mid range a little in that regard the KEF's beat them hands down. But Dj shadow did sound very impressive and its the first time ive heard three ralphs presented in its full bass heavy glory without the need for a subwoofer.

But id urge you to give both an extended listen , at least 30mins each with music you know and love
And tell the sale man/women to leave you along for that time.

In my experience though Phantom (devialet) have stood behind there product for far longer than kef have with there outgoing ls50's. In that respect they get my vote.

You might want to look at Sonos play 5's as well as you're looking at products of this type.

Then you have Swan, Edifer, Genalec and so on a little more like the kefs
Thank you for the advice.
The Sonos 5 was the original plan, but the sound seemed underwhelming to me. A coworker is telling me to give Klipsch sixes a try, I'm going to add that to the list to listen to.

D

Deleted member 188533

$2500 will get you a pair of Klipsch RP 8000f's or JBL Studio 590s and a nice Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz etc amp or receiver. Is there a local hi-fi store where you can audition stuff? I'm assuming you're in the US with Best Buy.

D

Deleted member 116933

Thank you for the advice.
The Sonos 5 was the original plan, but the sound seemed underwhelming to me. A coworker is telling me to give Klipsch sixes a try, I'm going to add that to the list to listen to.

You have to bare in mind that Sonos have true play so can be tuned to the room. And when done, sound very impressive. Don’t Sonos have a no quibble return policy? So you could try them at home if bought from Sonos and return if you don’t like them.

DocG

May 1, 2012
Visit site
I’m in favour of the ‘as little boxes as possible’ solution. Which other brands could you audition around? The Phantoms and the LS50s are very different beasts, and only you can decide which you like best. That will (amongst others) depend on the type(s) of music you like, and on your listening habits (late night low level vs. party).
Could you arrange a home audition with the contenders?

(PS: so nice this forum is up and running again 👍🏻)

USMC1316

Dec 28, 2020
Visit site
Update and question:
I went back up to the store and listen to some more speakers for much longer than i did the first time.
I really enjoyed the Martin Logan 35xti book shelf speakers. The amp they where using was a Arcam SA20 2 channel -(80watts per channel). It all sounded great, Even the little 15i Martin Logan sounded good.
My question now is, would i be ok with a Denon DRA-800H 2-Channel Stereo Network Receiver? It is rated at 100watts per channel? Plus it has more features i like and its only 500 vs 1400. Would the sound quality of sound suffer that bad? Would i tell a difference?

rainsoothe

Update and question:
I went back up to the store and listen to some more speakers for much longer than i did the first time.
I really enjoyed the Martin Logan 35xti book shelf speakers. The amp they where using was a Arcam SA20 2 channel -(80watts per channel). It all sounded great, Even the little 15i Martin Logan sounded good.
My question now is, would i be ok with a Denon DRA-800H 2-Channel Stereo Network Receiver? It is rated at 100watts per channel? Plus it has more features i like and its only 500 vs 1400. Would the sound quality of sound suffer that bad? Would i tell a difference?
Only way to know is to audition. But if you hear one between the Devialet Phantom and the stereo system, you most likely will between these as well. Let your ears decide - personally, I'd not use a budget reciever with the ML, but if you don't hear a difference, go for it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts