24 bit / 96 kHz Query

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Quick question y'all, Is my Cyrus CD8X CD player capable of decoding 24 bit / 96kHz tracks ? I thought it was but I downloaded and burnt to disc that new Nine Inch Nails album in 24/96 and all I get from the CD player is a screeching sound akin to the sound that ZX Spectrum cassettes used to make when loading. Steve

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Can't answer your question but NIN's new album is fantastic
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stewartc"]
I thought it was but I downloaded and burnt to disc that new Nine Inch Nails album in 24/96 and all I get from the CD player is a screeching sound akin to the sound that ZX Spectrum cassettes used to make when loading.

Steve[/quote]

Are you sure that's not just Trent Reznor's vocals?

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]

Nope - may use 24/96 DACs, but it's strictly 16/44.1.

[/quote]

Good morning Mr. E....How are you on this fine day.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="stewartc"]Quick question y'all,

Is my Cyrus CD8X CD player capable of decoding 24 bit / 96kHz tracks ?

I thought it was but I downloaded and burnt to disc that new Nine Inch Nails album in 24/96 and all I get from the CD player is a screeching sound akin to the sound that ZX Spectrum cassettes used to make when loading.

Steve[/quote]

Did you convert the .wav files to CD using a decent burning program - I think you may not have done so from what you say.
However, I think they may mainly be meant for 24 bit soundcards on pc. Otherwise, they are dithered down to 16 bit as said earlier (then upsampled again if you have 24 bit)

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I concur - if you had just copied them to a CD, then the player would try and play the data file as an audio file (not really the most healthy thing for your tweeters...). If you had converted it to an audio CD, then it would have downsampled it to 16/44.1 to comply with the CD format.

As someone further up said, the only real way is to play it (and gain the benefit of 24/96) is using a PC/Mac with an external soundcard/DAC...

A

Anonymous

D'OH - you're absolutely right. I hadn't converted the tracks to a CD friendly format.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

By the way does anyone have a 24/96 capable CD player and if so does it sound dramatically better ?

fr0g

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="stewartc"]D'OH - you're absolutely right. I hadn't converted the tracks to a CD friendly format.
Thanks for the advice everyone.

By the way does anyone have a 24/96 capable CD player and if so does it sound dramatically better ?[/quote]
There's no such thing.
CD playback is a standard 16/44.1
DVD-A can playback 24/96
So there are quite a few CD/SACD/DVD-A players that can do this, and most computers these days have 24/96 compatible cards.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="stewartc"]By the way does anyone have a 24/96 capable CD player and if so does it sound
dramatically better ?[/quote]

Most CD players that mention 24/96 are upsampling players - basically this means that they take the 16/44.1 from the CD and change the data into 24/96, filling in the bits intelligently along the way. Much in the same way that upscaling DVD players can produce a pseudo-1080i signal from a 576i DVD...

If you are talking true 24/96 (or better) then you are looking at DVD-Audio or SACD, but there are limited catalogues available on those formats.

I'd stick to CDs on your Cyrus, and if you want to hear 24/96, use a PC with external soundcard...

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts