24/192 dac on cd player. What´s the point?

apique

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Hi

I am looking for a new cd player. I see that some have a 24/192 dac but no digital input......so, if cd´s are 16/44 and i cannot input any digital signal from any high res player like fiio or similar, what´s the point of having such a dac? What difference it makes in reading a cd ? Or is just a reason to increase the price?

Anyone knows?

Thanks

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Often they will upsample to that rate, although the benefits are arguable.

I think the simple fact is that all DAC chips these days are capable of handling those rates, and I guess the manufacturer thinks it sounds more impressive to list bigger numbers to impress the buyer with the specs.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
There is some very good silicone around, ESS being one, only for some implementors of these sophisticated devices to somehow manage to undo the the in-built ability/spec. by bad engineering.

To get red-book CD quality right should be at the forefront of many makers of digital end-products rather than trying to blind consumers with boutique chips/ingredients which may not perform any better than an implementation of an older version of silicone (done correctly) once they had their grubby little fingers in it.

I am purely talking about measurements here. There are enough examples of the above to make you/me wonder.

Done right, these powerful new chips can do things on paper older versions can't but how much these are really of benefit in the real world (also called listening to music ... remember that?) I have no idea.

Some of the possible dynamic ranges quoted would probably make ears quite literally bleed if a system was capable of resolving it. Pointless to have? Probably not, low noise, high dynamic range, low jitter, super-low distortion etc etc (many of which are compromised by the implementation of the chips rather than the silicone itself) are probably worth having but there is probably always enough potential down-stream ... think amplification, speakers ... to make the benefits of such high functioning DAC's more hypothetical than practical.

Then there's the old chestnut of just because something measures better does it sound any better? There are many examples of deliberately introducing distortion etc into the signal path via valves or otherwise and thus perhaps making use of some of the abilities of these super chips but not others.

I love this hobby :)

Just my 2c's.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts