2016 Planar3 V RP6

kiwibob

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Hi All

I am considering updating my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit to either a new 2016 Rega Planar3 or an RP6 ...

I'll be running it with an old Arcam A75+ amp and some rather lovely Focal Aria 906 bookies ....

What do you think ... the new Planar3 or the RP6 ?? ....

Also what difference would a new amp make to the system ... possibly a Naim or a Rega Elex-R ??

Music tastes = jazz, folk, and a bit of old stuff ... nothing heavier than Zepp.

Cheers

As you already have a decent turntable....I don't think that the two you mention will bring much of a improvement in Sq.....the most obvious route would be to upgrade the cart (and maybe even the phono stage)but you don't mention what you are currently using,also the amp can be bettered.I reckon the turntable should be further down your list I'm afraid.

kiwibob said:
Current cart is a 2m red ....

Keep the Project, upgrade that cartridge and upgrade the amp would be my suggestion.

Otherwise if determined to change turntable get to a Rega dealer and listen / look. I doubt there's much difference between the two but would plump for the Planar 3.

kiwibob

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Ummmm interesting ......so what amp would i try ..... arcam a19, rega brio or elex-r .... yamaha as1100 (the yam looks lovely) .....

kiwibob

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
Jeez those 2m blacks are expensive ....

Off for an adventure around the shops tomorrow ... gonna take my amp and turntable with me on a road trip ... hoping to listen to some amps, turntables and maybe even carts .... with my current gears mixed in .... should i consider phono amps ..... ?

kiwibob said:
Jeez those 2m blacks are expensive ....

Off for an adventure around the shops tomorrow ... gonna take my amp and turntable with me on a road trip ... hoping to listen to some amps, turntables and maybe even carts .... with my current gears mixed in .... should i consider phono amps ..... ?

There are good cartridges much cheaper than the 2m black, however cartridges are the most difficult things to get to audition. Look at amplifiers with built-in phono stages and forget external ones at the moment.

kiwibob

Sep 7, 2016
Visit site
So I took my little system on a road trip ... tried the Planar3, the RP6, a Yamaha AS1100 Amp (nice but HUGE .... meant for load volume metallers I think), Rotal amp (lots of extras) ... then a Rega Elex-r .... oh my did that make things sound good ... brought the Elix-r ... love it .... gonna save up for an RP3 to complete the mix now ....

kiwibob said:
So I took my little system on a road trip ... tried the Planar3, the RP6, a Yamaha AS1100 Amp (nice but HUGE .... meant for load volume metallers I think), Rotal amp (lots of extras) ... then a Rega Elex-r .... oh my did that make things sound good ... brought the Elix-r ... love it .... gonna save up for an RP3 to complete the mix now ....

Nice choice, hope it makes you a great system.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts