2013 - new hifi products

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
BigH said:
No putting the sound through tone controls degrades the quality that why so many of the more expensive amps do not have them.

Yep. Gives them less flexibility, preserves (some) manufacturer's bogus claims to high-end status ("look Ma, no tone controls, I must be good") and means they can charge more for using less components.

On the flip side, there have been some really sucky tone controls and lots of people who abuse them whether they are sucky or not. Classically the ill-named and, usually, ill-engineered 'loudness' function is the most abused one because it is only supposed to be applied at very low volumes and should be progressive so that it becomes less pronounced (and finally cuts out) as the volume is turned up.

I am hoping that intelligent use of DSP modes will become more prevalent amongst more new kit. (With customisable options for differently furnished rooms and different kinds of speakers maybe.)

Even great Michelin starred restaurants allow their customers the option to use salt to adjust the seasoning to their taste. Fortnums, Claridges and the Savoy provide sugar with their afternoon teas.

How would you like a television from a company who factory calibrate all their screens to a 'reference' standard and provide no user adjustments at all?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
As with all things hifi, one shouldn't generalize. There are crudely implemented controls and there's well implemented ones, like those on Accuphase and Luxman.

There are also systems that may need them more than others....one thing's for sure, they don't turn bad recordings into good ones.

12Designs said:
So they do make them like they used to. A drop dead gorgeous piece of kit IMO. Would love to hear one...

I wonder how well it would drive a pair of ATC SCM 19s?

Hi 12Designs

The A-S3000 is indeed gorgeous :)

Btw, as the A-S2000 already does a perfectly good job of driving SCM19 monitors then the A-S3000 should be even better at energising SCM19 monitors.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Thanks Rick

I will add this to my short list of amplifiers to listen to when I upgrade along with the Perreaux Audiant 80i and ATC SIA 2-150

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
chebby said:
12Designs said:
I will add this to my short list of amplifiers to listen to when I upgrade along with the Perreaux Audiant 80i and ATC SIA 2-150

Haven't ATC discontinued the SIA 2-150 ?

It certainly looks like it.

I've always thought it made little sense having a Pre/Power and Integrated at a very similar price.....it's a shame they didn't keep the SIA2-150 and increase the quality of CA2 / P1.

CnoEvil said:
chebby said:
12Designs said:

Haven't ATC discontinued the SIA 2-150 ?

It certainly looks like it.

I always thought it made little sense having a Pre/Power and Integrated at a very similar price.....it's a shame they didn't keep the SIA2-150 and increase the quality of CA2 / P1.

As far as I am aware the SIA2-150 MK2 has not been discontinued. The SIA2-150 MK2 is in the Power Amplifier section on ATC's website

http://www.atcloudspeakers.co.uk/hi-fi/electronics/power-amplifiers/s1a2-150/

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:
As far as I am aware the SIA2-150 MK2 has not been discontinued. The SIA2-150 MK2 is in the Power Amplifier section on ATC's website

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

You are quite right.

I had a cursory look on their website and didn't think to look under Power Amplifiers. :oops:

(I still think they should upgrade the Pre / Power, to lift it to another level).

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
MUSICRAFT said:

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

They should have an integrated amplifier section then if they want folk to find it.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
BigH said:
No putting the sound through tone controls degrades the quality that why so many of the more expensive amps do not have them.

Yep. Gives them less flexibility, preserves (some) manufacturer's bogus claims to high-end status ("look Ma, no tone controls, I must be good") and means they can charge more for using less components.

On the flip side, there have been some really sucky tone controls and lots of people who abuse them whether they are sucky or not. Classically the ill-named and, usually, ill-engineered 'loudness' function is the most abused one because it is only supposed to be applied at very low volumes and should be progressive so that it becomes less pronounced (and finally cuts out) as the volume is turned up.

I am hoping that intelligent use of DSP modes will become more prevalent amongst more new kit. (With customisable options for differently furnished rooms and different kinds of speakers maybe.)

Even great Michelin starred restaurants allow their customers the option to use salt to adjust the seasoning to their taste. Fortnums, Claridges and the Savoy provide sugar with their afternoon teas.

How would you like a television from a company who factory calibrate all their screens to a 'reference' standard and provide no user adjustments at all?

yup! agreed:) there should be some essential reading - the articles mentioned here and in some recent posts - before people spend money on hi fi...

WX

Apr 7, 2012
Visit site
That Yamaha looks nice but also quite huge to accommodate.

New stuff ? What about that Creek 50D then.

Reading about it now over almost a year and very much like to see (& hear) what they come up with en how it compares to the Audiolab stuff.

It has the same developer and comes with the ESS Sabre chip-set.

From the looks of the new 50A I might like it (in black), but all depends on functionality and a possible (minor) upgrade in sound.

:?

In the second week of May there's the HighEnd Show in Munchen, it will reveal a lot of new 2013 stuff. :grin:

WX said:
In the second week of May there's the HighEnd Show in Munchen, it will reveal a lot of new 2013 stuff. :grin:

Hi WX

Yes, it will be interesting to see what new products are revealed at the Munich show
smiley-smile.gif

Btw, production of Rega's new Aria MM/MC Phono stage begins this week.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

matthewpiano

MUSICRAFT said:
WX said:

Hi WX

Yes, it will be interesting to see what new products are revealed at the Munich show
smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The Aria sounded wonderful played through the new amp (name of which I can't remember) and some PMC speakers at the Audio World show in Manchester with an RP8 as source).

matthewpiano said:
MUSICRAFT said:
WX said:

Hi WX

smiley-smile.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

The Aria sounded wonderful played through the new amp (name of which I can't remember) and some PMC speakers at the Audio World show in Manchester with an RP8 as source).

Hi Matt

The Aria looks like its going be another big hit for Rega.

Btw, Rega's new amplifier is the Elicit-R which should be going into production within the next couple of months.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
chebby said:
BigH said:

Interesting... does anything like - let's call it - 'progressive loudness' exist in any amplifier available? That could be very useful feature.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
chebby said:
BigH said:

Interesting... does anything like - let's call it - 'progressive loudness' exist in any amplifier available? That could be very useful feature.

The only one I am aware of is the Naim UnitiQute's "Switchable bass contour control".

From the UnitiQute instructions...

"Engaging the Loudness option applies low frequency boost
to the speaker and preamplifier outputs that decreases as
the volume setting is increased. Through compensating for
the ear’s reduced low frequency sensitivity at low volume
levels, the Loudness function can make low volume
listening more satisfying.
Note: The loudness contour operates at volume settings
between 0 and 55."

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for that.. too bad Naim you mentioned doesn't have balance control.. very useful in difficult rooms..

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
Thanks for that.. too bad Naim you mentioned doesn't have balance control.. very useful in difficult rooms..

Yes it does.

From UnitiQute Instructions...

"The Speakers setup menu enables a variety of speaker parameters to be adjusted.
The options are tabulated and described in the following sections:

"Parameter Options

Type: Large / Small / None

Loudness: Yes / No

Max. Volume: 0 to 100 (adjust using handset 6 or 5
keys)

Balance: -10 to + 10 (adjust using handset 6 or 5

The speaker Max. Volume and Balance parameters specify maximum allowed volume, and the channel balance respectively."

8713631546_04851090a6_o.png

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
lpv said:
hey, that's something! do you think it's worth for home audition?

I don't see why not.

Unless you enjoy playing music very loud and/or have your system in a large room. (Neither of which are indicated by your current amp* and speakers.)

* Bit confused by the Marantz amp in your signature. Is it a PM 6004 ? (I've not heard of a PM 6400.)

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
It's 20sq meters room and my current set up doesn't have a problem to fill it up with good sound. Your 'Naim post' really makes me think that I actually could try this at home... hmmm... need to find good store with 14 days return policy.

* it's pm 6004:) thanks:)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts