2011 vinyl sales up 40% - plus biggest selling LPs revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
I bought KOL on vinyl too, the "newspaper" ediiton. In this instance, I actually prefer the 24bit version. For such a short, but impressive, album I soon tired of getting up to flick over the vinyl. A part of the ritual I usually enjoy. Maybe it's the fiddly 10inch discs that are too faffy, especially as I like to keep my Roksan deck spinning from start up to clsoe of play.

Bought stacks of other vinyl this year. Record fairs, charity shops, in Berlin's numerous vinyl emporiums whilst on honeymoon and online. Best thing this year, so far, is probably the My Morning Jacket LP and Beefheart's Shiny Beast. Vinyl, old and new, at it's best.

Next Monday heralds the arrival of my last pre-Christmas purchase (promise!), The Beach Boys' Smile boxset.

smuggs

Feb 19, 2009
Visit site
i thought the 10inch vinyl was awesome until i had to turn it off and like you said you have to turn the motor of and then flip it takes the flow of the album away.

enjoy your boxset ive just had the oasis-dig out your soul for xmas off the lad nice heads up.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
There have been a few albums where a similar thing applies, especially those pressed at 45rpm. Typically they'll split an album over four sides with three or four tracks on each. It's debatably better for sound quality* but a PITA having to get up and change sides every 15 mins.

*if you discount the fact that faster speeds exacerbate certain types of tracking errors, such as those caused by warped vinyl or imperfect antiskate/bias settings.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I only have the Beady Eye LP from the list.

It's ok but doesn't get too many airings to be honest.

Now Noel Gallaghers new lp is a different story.

Got it last week and can't stop playing it.

Great collection of tunes. Lovely vibe, good recording.

Possibly my favorite new release of the year and one I fully recommend to you.

A

Anonymous

i have bought these

02 ‘21’ - Adele

05 ‘Let England Shake’ - PJ Harvey

08 ‘Director's Cut’ - Kate Bush

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I think the 2011 vinyl sales upturn has been mainly down to me and a colleague...I don't recall ever having bought so much vinyl in a single year....

And now just in time for my turntable turning up last week... :grin:

shropshire lad

Feb 18, 2010
Visit site
FrankHarveyHiFi said:
I think the 2011 vinyl sales upturn has been mainly down to me and a colleague...I don't recall ever having bought so much vinyl in a single year....

And now just in time for my turntable turning up last week... :grin:

I reckon I have helped quite a bit as well .

Do you mind us asking ( well , me anyway) which turntable that might be .

Just being nosey ,

Nick

A

Anonymous

:) ADELE21 ON VINYL YUMMIE JUST REDISCOVERING HOW SWEET VINYL IS . MY COLECTIONOF 20 YEARS NEVER SOUNDED SO GOOD CHEERS.VINYL SHOULD NEVER DIE

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I had a look here . . . drawn to Kat Bush, I'm glad I did not go and by the LP . . . its been 20 years since I listened to or bought her music, great stuff then IMHO . . . O'dear, Directors Cut and 50 Words for Snow, what can I say, I found them on Spotify, thats where they will stay, sorry I was a Kate Bush fan back then . . . new stuff? no thanks.

The list lead me to Alison Krouss, and Paper Airplane, I will be searching to see if there is a vinyl version . . . dug a little deeper came across Alison Krouss dueting with Lead Zepplins vocalist, Robert Plant on an album called 'Rising Sand' . . . Been a fan of Alison Krouss for a good while, but Robert Plant? . . . Dont pre judge . . . have a listen on Spotify . . . Rich, dark sound that draws one in. I'm sitting here listening at this moment . . . Its got to be part of my CD collection, I wonder if its released as vinyl, I do hope so, I'll hedge my betts, get the CD, then hunt the vinyl!!!:dance:

CJSF

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I like "Raising Sand" a lot, released about 2007 I believe. I've got it on CD, and I have a strict rule that I never buy vinyl versions of anything that I already own on CD ( oh apart from LA Woman and DSOTM ).

It won a lot of awards at the time, quite rightly. Turned me, and a lot of others on to the work of Alison Krauss. What a beautiful voice.

Robert Plant's subsequent solo album, the name escapes me, didn't do it for me I'm afraid. He did a particularly awful version of a Richard Thompson song "House of Cards".

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
DIB said:
I like "Raising Sand" a lot, released about 2007 I believe. I've got it on CD, and I have a strict rule that I never buy vinyl versions of anything that I already own on CD ( oh apart from LA Woman and DSOTM ).

It won a lot of awards at the time, quite rightly. Turned me, and a lot of others on to the work of Alison Krauss. What a beautiful voice.

Robert Plant's subsequent solo album, the name escapes me, didn't do it for me I'm afraid. He did a particularly awful version of a Richard Thompson song "House of Cards".

Had a dig on Amazon, cant find 'Rising Sand' there on Vinyl, ordered it on CD. I have a few CD/vinyl repeats, used to do a lot of comparisons in the early days plus I can grab CD's for the car. Thats one very sexy voice . . . Alison of course.

CJSF

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
CJSF said:
DIB said:

Had a dig on Amazon, cant find 'Rising Sand' there on Vinyl, ordered it on CD. I have a few CD/vinyl repeats, used to do a lot of comparisons in the early days plus I can grab CD's for the car. Thats one very sexy voice . . . Alison of course.

CJSF

I've got the CD version too of this beautifully produced album. T-Bone Burnett is legendary for his attention to the need to capture the air and space of the studio, integral to the reproduction of voices and instruments. It really comes across on Raising Sand, doesn't it.

Likewise his work on Elvis Costello's King Of America and his own Tooth Of Crime album clearly capture his approach to sound recording.

I heard the vinyl version of Raising Sand last Christmas at a family get together. My Uncle, a semi-retired sound engineer, played it to me through some of his high-end studio spec equipment on a old, wonderful, customised Linn turntable. It dwarfed my own playback ever so slightly!

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
CJSF said:
DIB said:

CJSF

I've also got the CD version of this beautifully produced album. T-Bone Burnett is legendary for his attention for the need to capture the air and space of the studio, integral to the reproduction of voices and instruments. It really comes across on Raising Sand, doesn't it.

Likewise his work on Elvis Costello's King Of America and his own Tooth Of Crime album clearly capture his approach to sound recording.

I heard the vinyl version of Raising Sand last Christmas at a family get together. My Uncle, a semi-retired sound engineer, played it to me through some of his high-end studio spec equipment on a old, wonderful, customised Linn turntable. It dwarfed my own playback ever so slightly!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Hay Charles, your comment got me digging a bit deeper, I looked yesterday, could not find the vinyl of 'Rising Sand' . . . found it on Amazon this morning, its Christmas, I have treated myself:dance: Yesterday I ordered on CD 'Rising Sand' and the Essential 'Alison Krouss', this morning the vinyl of 'Rising Sand', extravagant? . . . I was so bowled over with the Spotify rendering, it is a 'must have' on vinyl for me.:bounce:

CJSF

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
CJSF said:
Hay Charles, your comment got me digging a bit deeper, I looked yesterday, could not find the vinyl of 'Rising Sand' . . . found it on Amazon this morning, its Christmas, I have treated myself:dance: Yesterday I ordered on CD 'Rising Sand' and the Essential 'Alison Krouss', this morning the vinyl of 'Rising Sand', extravagant? . . . I was so bowled over with the Spotify rendering, it is a 'must have' on vinyl for me.:bounce:

CJSF

Hi CJ,

Good stuff on tracking down the vinyl version. I'll be awaiting your comments on how it sounds, and how it compares to the CD.

Two of my pre-"Christmas presents" arrived this morning, the vinyl of Dylan & The Dead and a long-awaited CD of Uncle Acid & The Deadbeats. My two little boys might just allow me to have a few hours playing these discs when they've gone to sleep this evening.

Good listening to you and all!!

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As I cant wait for the CD or the Vinyl to arive . . . I've just had another sample of 'Rising Sand' on Spotify, the whole album!! Its superb, even on Spotify . . . this is real HiFi for 'grown-ups' with an underpinning base line that had my chest vibrating most of the time . . . :dance:

I have had a bit more rummaging, came up with a Discography for T-Bone Benett, the producer of 'Rising Sand', giving some useful titles/artists, that I have been able to track down in Spotify, the characteristic sound prevails . . . great music, especially as some is county based, I do like my county music.

CJSF

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
CJSF said:
As I cant wait for the CD or the Vinyl to arive . . . I've just had another sample of 'Rising Sand' on Spotify, the whole album!! Its superb, even on Spotify . . . this is real HiFi for 'grown-ups' with an underpinning base line that had my chest vibrating most of the time . . . :dance:

I have had a bit more rummaging, came up with a Discography for T-Bone Benett, the producer of 'Rising Sand', giving some useful titles/artists, that I have been able to track down in Spotify, the characteristic sound prevails . . . great music, especially as some is county based, I do like my county music.

CJSF
<

p>I'm glad your rummaging is proving fruitful, CJ. One of T-Bone's best known credits is the aforementioned King Of America by Elvis Costello and a whole load of great country/rock and roll players, plus the brilliant Attractions. The vinyl version is stunning.

One of the two 1986 releases by England's greatest, least-celebrated "pop" musicians. The other, Blood & Chocolate, is a different brew altogether but still one of EC's finest. I bought both when I was an impoverished post-grad student living the lonesome, quasi-academic lowlife.Fortunately, I saw sense and eventually rejoined the real world, (well, youth theatre writing/directing, if that counts!), but those albums remain keystone recordings for me to this day.

Thanks Mr T-Bone and Mr.Costello.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

< p>I'm glad your rummaging is proving fruitful, CJ. One of T-Bone's best known credits is the aforementioned King Of America by Elvis Costello and a whole load of great country/rock and roll players, plus the brilliant Attractions. The vinyl version is stunning. One of the two 1986 releases by England's greatest, least-celebrated "pop" musicians. The other, Blood & Chocolate, is a different brew altogether but still one of EC's finest. I bought both when I was an impoverished post-grad student living the lonesome, quasi-academic lowlife.Fortunately, I saw sense and eventually rejoined the real world, (well, youth theatre writing/directing, if that counts!), but those albums remain keystone recordings for me to this day. Thanks Mr T-Bone and Mr.Costello.

I get the feeling some of the titles might be lurking in boot sale boxes to be rummaged into and purchased for a 'song' . . . :?

CJSF

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Mmm . . . Charlie, sorted out 'Blood and Chocolate' . . . 'King of America' . . . not my choice I'm afraid, I prefer closer to country style . . . I like 'Secrets, Profane & Sugarcane', be keeping the eye open for that at CB sales. Whoops, seem to way of the original thread . . . sorry people, getting excite over music . . . :type:

CJSF

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
CJSF said:
Mmm . . . Charlie, sorted out 'Blood and Chocolate' . . . 'King of America' . . . not my choice I'm afraid, I prefer closer to country style . . . I like 'Secrets, Profane & Sugarcane', be keeping the eye open for that at CB sales. Whoops, seem to way of the original thread . . . sorry people, getting excite over music . . . :type:

CJSF

Hi CJ, Can understand Blood & Chocolate not being your thing but KOA has lots of country-flecked wonder amongst the rock and roll/rockabilly stylishness. Good luck with your search for Secrets, profane & Sugarcane.

Persevere with KOA, it'll pay dividends, honestly.

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Charlie Jefferson said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

Hi CJ, Can understand Blood & Chocolate not being your thing but KOA has lots of country-flecked wonder amongst the rock and roll/rockabilly stylishness. Good luck with your search for Secrets, profane & Sugarcane.

KOA . . . ? to much to wards rock, not enough country?? I'm very critical when it comes to crossover music . . . I chew grass and roll in the hay :cheers:

CJSF

PS, I wont pass KoA by at a boot sale . . .

Charlie Jefferson

Sep 2, 2007
Visit site
CJSF said:
Charlie Jefferson said:
CJSF said:

CJSF

KOA . . . ? to much to wards rock, not enough country?? I'm very critical when it comes to crossover music . . . I chew grass and roll in the hay :cheers:

CJSF

PS, I wont pass KoA by at a boot sale . . .

Good luck when you go car booting, CJ.

I'm listening to John Prine's 1971 self-titled album. I love lots of country stuff, from vaguely mainstream to the so called Alt.Country/Americana acts (MMJ, Wilco, Ryan Adams). I've ardently followed Neil Young for over three decades and Bob Dylan for the last ttwenty odd years, and though not traditionally country, they've both made great country albums and written loads of brilliant songs that draw in the great country traditions.

Sorry, I digress. Back to John Prine. I love the guy's voice and his songs. At first I mistook them for slight, novelty pieces but a year or so on from first hearing them I'm totally smitten. Beguiling, charming, dark themes but lightly drawn and delivered. Sadly, I've got the CD version, as I can't seem to track down a reasonably priced vinyl copy.

TRENDING THREADS