20 years in the making - my Cyrus/Arcam/Mission system

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
My dad used to have a great B&O system at home when I was growing up and I saved up my pennies from my paper round to buy an Ariston Q deck from Acoustic Arts in Watford, which opened up just a few doors down from where we lived. Around about the same time I stafted reading What Hi Fi and over the years have followed the reviews and enjoyed some great kit. As a student I saved up for the Rotel RCD 965BX back in the days when CD was relatively new and the debate about bitstream vs multibit was raging. Added a DPA PDM1 series 2 and was in hi fi heaven. Fell for a Sony CDP 3000ES and then for the Micromega Stage 4 which served in my main system until just last year when I could not resist the tempatation to buy the Cyrus CD8 SE.

I had a Roksan Caspian amp for a while but never warmed to it (it was an early model) and swapped it out for a multi channel Yamaha and bobby basic Toshiba DVD as my attention turned towards home cinema. I moved on to an Arcam AVR300, loved it so much that I eventually went for an Arcam AV9/P7 which I don't plan on changing any time soon.

4508683437_7908362ba8_m.jpg

My £25 second hand Sony speakers were replaced by Mission 733i's which served me well for many years and were eventually replaced by 782s. Then I upgraded to the excellent 782SE's (Wow, enjoyment reached a whole new level) and eventually added the 780SE's as rears and got the matching centre. Subwoofer came later, when I picked up a Mission E8AS1. Then I was seduced by the awesome sound of the Mission Elegante range and swapped for the E83's/E81's/E8C & E8AS2 (not widely reviewed, but absolutely amazing).

For a long time I had a Grundig 32"CRT, but when my lovely wife suggested a flat screen was required I quickly obliged and picked up the Sony KDL 40 W2000. She was a bit unhappy when she saw the size of the box and I didn't actually get it out and set it up for 2 months, to allow for a cooling off period. All because she fell asleep in the car when we went to the Sony Centre and didn't come in (to be fair, she was heavily pregnant at the time). I also picked up a Sony HD/DVD recorder.

Other bits and pieces. Somewhere along the line I purchased the Isotek GII Minisub and having started out with Supra LoRad2.5 power leads I have replaced almost all of them with VdH Mainstreams. (If anybody knows anyone who can terminate one of these cables with a high current IEC I'd like to hear from you). I bi-amp the fronts with QED XT400 and use VdH interconnects between the amps (D102 Mk III), I also use the VdH First Ultimate to connect my CD player. Just added the PSX-R which makes a big difference in the system and has had me up late listening the last few nights!

4508686009_6ec30f1861_m.jpg

Two young children mean that the speakers have to sit in the corners, which is not ideal, but is a compromise on safety grounds. I am saving up for a projector (possibly a JVC, and a blu ray, but I'm not sure what to go for?,...must have multi channel out's though). Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks for reading my story, hope you like the pictures.

4509317636_25ec032c5d_m.jpg

A

Anonymous

Yea tidy setup with sweet kit. Some more pics would be nice too !

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi there,

I once purchased the mission elegante E82 5.1 system it was gorgeous looking and got brilliant reviews eg what hi fi mag, they were a true bargain purchase but i never did use them as i realised they would be to bright for the pioneer amp i had my eye on, I still really like them though.

You say you have the E83 they are massive i once saw them in avland.

Very nice.
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, here is my first attempt at a panoramic photo, I will put up a better one and some close up's too when I have a little time.

4512224262_e85d788dc5_b.jpg

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I've still got the Rotel it's a bit of a classic! It took a lot of saving at the time, but I was well rewarded when I finally made the purchase. I see it's still well thought of in it's own dedicated thread today!!

Andy

A

Anonymous

This is the little system in the kitchen. My wife listens to Radio 2 on it all day. The mini Quads work very well for all day listening.

A

Anonymous

Here's a close up of the Sony CDP3000ES from the second system in the bedroom.

A

Anonymous

The amp is a faithful old Cyrus 5 and the speakers are the special edition Quad 11L's, which look rather lovely. You can just make out some of the DNM interconnects to the rear. Power cables are Supra Lo Rad 2.5, with speaker cable from QED.

A

Anonymous

In my study I use the Micromega Stage 4, originally from my main system. It's perferct for late night listening with it's in built headphone socket with volume control. Used with the Grado's it's a one box system all by itself!

A

Anonymous

Back in the main system I am now using the CD8 SE as a transport with the DPA PDM1 Series 2 as a DAC. This is a 3rd evolution of this great DAC with some very clever technology from Phillips inside. The DAC has just a single coaxial digital input, so is a lite weight in terms of the spec on many DAC's on the market today. Nevertheless the sound quality took a big step up from the CD8 SE playing in its own right! A very impressive little box in my opinion. If the funds were available I would aim to have a CD XT SE+ with the DPA PDM 2 as my ultimate source! Maybe one day!!

A

Anonymous

Happy days.

I think that DPA has a new DAC coming out soon, no dealer near me at present, maybe What Hi-Fi will do a review when it comes out?

A

Anonymous

Sweet system.

I know Andy in person and have heard this system for real, it sounds really great, even at low volumes there is plenty of tight bass and a good balanced sound.

What I am wondering though, since this is a 5.1 system, what sort of kit would give comparable sound for stereo only?

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Andy G XXX:

My dad used to have a great B&O system at home when I was growing up and I saved up my pennies from my paper round to buy an Ariston Q deck from Acoustic Arts in Watford, which opened up just a few doors down from where we lived. Around about the same time I stafted reading What Hi Fi and over the years have followed the reviews and enjoyed some great kit. As a student I saved up for the Rotel RCD 965BX back in the days when CD was relatively new and the debate about bitstream vs multibit was raging. Added a DPA PDM1 series 2 and was in hi fi heaven. Fell for a Sony CDP 3000ES and then for the Micromega Stage 4 which served in my main system until just last year when I could not resist the tempatation to buy the Cyrus CD8 SE.

I had a Roksan Caspian amp for a while but never warmed to it (it was an early model) and swapped it out for a multi channel Yamaha and bobby basic Toshiba DVD as my attention turned towards home cinema. I moved on to an Arcam AVR300, loved it so much that I eventually went for an Arcam AV9/P7 which I don't plan on changing any time soon.

4508683437_7908362ba8_m.jpg

My £25 second hand Sony speakers were replaced by Mission 733i's which served me well for many years and were eventually replaced by 782s. Then I upgraded to the excellent 782SE's (Wow, enjoyment reached a whole new level) and eventually added the 780SE's as rears and got the matching centre. Subwoofer came later, when I picked up a Mission E8AS1. Then I was seduced by the awesome sound of the Mission Elegante range and swapped for the E83's/E81's/E8C & E8AS2 (not widely reviewed, but absolutely amazing).

For a long time I had a Grundig 32"CRT, but when my lovely wife suggested a flat screen was required I quickly obliged and picked up the Sony KDL 40 W2000. She was a bit unhappy when she saw the size of the box and I didn't actually get it out and set it up for 2 months, to allow for a cooling off period. All because she fell asleep in the car when we went to the Sony Centre and didn't come in (to be fair, she was heavily pregnant at the time). I also picked up a Sony HD/DVD recorder.

Other bits and pieces. Somewhere along the line I purchased the Isotek GII Minisub and having started out with Supra LoRad2.5 power leads I have replaced almost all of them with VdH Mainstreams. (If anybody knows anyone who can terminate one of these cables with a high current IEC I'd like to hear from you). I bi-amp the fronts with QED XT400 and use VdH interconnects between the amps (D102 Mk III), I also use the VdH First Ultimate to connect my CD player. Just added the PSX-R which makes a big difference in the system and has had me up late listening the last few nights!

4508686009_6ec30f1861_m.jpg

Two young children mean that the speakers have to sit in the corners, which is not ideal, but is a compromise on safety grounds. I am saving up for a projector (possibly a JVC, and a blu ray, but I'm not sure what to go for?,...must have multi channel out's though). Any comments or suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks for reading my story, hope you like the pictures.

4509317636_25ec032c5d_m.jpg

Very nice, although I'd be tempted to see how it sounds if you moved the rack with the Arcams on towards the TV unit, and move the speakers away from the corners.

A

Anonymous

Here's a couple of shots of the projector I bought a while ago.
7676824102_bc2b55f115.jpg

A

Anonymous

It's great watching movies on the big screen!

7676830274_17de308d92.jpg

HDMI is Black Rhodium Pearl

A

Anonymous

For music I have now upgraded to the Cyrus CD XT SE2

7676825044_1185c0e2a1.jpg

The transport is connected to the DPA PDM 1 Series 2 via a Missing Link Cryo Reference Binary Star

I also have a Bigger Bit which I experiment with sometimes along with the Dac in the AV9

I've also upgraded the interconnects with Missing Link Cryo Reference between the transport and AV9 and between the AV9 and the P7. I just need one more set for the out and in on the P7 as I am bi amping

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Andy

This is the first time I've seen your system which is lovely.....interesting mix of equipment with Cyrus and Arcam. I really rate the AV9/P7, and can see the reasoning for mixing it with the Cyrus.

Did you consider a streaming solution?

Cno

A

Anonymous

Many thanks Cno,

The Arcam/Cyrus combination works very well, with some vintage DPA in the middle it's a good showcase for the Brits!

I have not yet gone down the streaming route although the time will inevitably come and I recently picked up a new n router to replace my ageing g router. I don't really have a lot of spare time for listening to new music, which is what is holding me back. I did recently get an iPod and Wadia 170i, just for the convenience of being able to download a few tunes now and then. Funnily enough I may go down the vinyl route before I invest in streaming.

Short term I'm thinking about Tellurium Q black and longer term replacing the main speakers, and those are my priorities for now. Did you go down the Tellurium Q route yourself? I saw that you were impressed in another thread.

Andy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts