20 best Blu-rays for picture and sound

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Okay, we can all argue about this list - what's on that shouldn't be, and what should be on that they've omitted. I happen to have nine of their 20 - Oblivion, Gone Girl, Gravity, Mission Impossible 4, Wall-E, The Orphanage, Transformers: Age of Extinction, Lawrence of Arabia, and Skyfall. I'll go up to 10 when Interstellar becomes available for a tenner!

Here is the AVForums list https://www.avforums.com/article/20-best-blu-rays-for-picture-and-sound.10416

Just remember, this list is assessing the Blu-ray's picture and/or sound quality. This list is not primarily assessing the film's merits as regards the plot (otherwise Transformers 4 certainly wouldn't be on the list, although in fact I don't find it too bad!).

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I only have two of them, Sunshine and Finding Nemo. No opinions on the list really, though I'm surprised there aren't more animated films like Monsters Inc on the list.

Superaintit

Feb 8, 2009
Visit site
Tron, interstellar, wall-e, finding nemo are the movies that I own from that list.

It's great to know prior to buying it that a great deal of effort has gone into making the best possible. In the end it's the story for me that makes it all worthwhile. Anyway, I would also like to mention star trek tng blu-ray season 3,4,6,Toy story, monsters university.

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
ok so I may have some kind of addiction as I have all on the list apart from two ( Unbroken & John Wick ) but I agree there are a lot more that could have been included, my vote goes for a couple of oldies but goodies, the skynet edition bluray of Terminator 2 with its thunderous 6.1 DTS master audio and Blade Runner with its Dolby Truehd option ( sadly only available on the HD-dvd release ).

I could probably add another 50 or more blurays to the list, whether they are big blockbusters, animation or independent films

*preved*

I just watched The House of Magic in 3D which, in my opinion, is one of the best 3D films out there! An absolute must for 3D lovers.

Better still, Amazon was selling it for £4!!

Amazon has temporarily withdrawn its sale because some users have complained that the item isn't as described. This is not the case. The cover doesn't say 3D, but the disc is 3D as well as 2D. So I would expect it to be back on sale soon.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
The House of Magic 3D is, alas, not on this related list of the best 20 3D Blu-rays

https://www.avforums.com/article/20-best-3d-blu-rays.10415

And The Lego Movie 3D and How to Train your Dragon 2 3D, which I both have, are not on this 3D list either!! Despite both lists being updated to May 2015.

nugget2014

Jan 1, 2014
Visit site
My favourite blu Rays for video and/or audio are:

hunger games mocking jay part 1, pacific rim, captain America 2, teenage mutant ninja turtles, transformers 4, oblivion, guardians of the Galaxy, Godzilla, x men days of future past.

D

Deleted member 2457

Top Gun, Ratouille, Toy story 2, Django Unchained, The Dark Knight, Inception, Slash Made in Stoke,

Mtenga

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
War of the Worlds the Cruise version is a great workout for your sub. Most modern Blurays look great. Planet of the Apes was great the other day as is Interstellar.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
I have 3

Interstellar - disagree

Star Trek into darkness - agree

Live, die, repeat. - Meh! (good film though)

Shocked Watchmen never got a mention picture and sound are great.

The Wolverine too.

Thompsonuxb said:
I have 3

Interstellar - disagree

The Wolverine too.

Bear in mind the list is about best blu rays for picture and sound, and not the film itself.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
bigboss said:
Thompsonuxb said:
I have 3

Interstellar - disagree

The Wolverine too.

Bear in mind the list is about best blu rays for picture and sound, and not the film itself.

I know, I know I just can't help myself..... :)

That said, if we are talking picture and sound Intastellar is ok, like Edge of Tomorrow - not top 20 material.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
I had it professionally calibrated!

Every other movie looks excellent, both DVD and Blu-ray.

Only Godzilla looks too dark, mainly near the end, possibly the last half hour or so.

Some scenes are supposed to look very dark, but it is silly!

I have done some research and apparently the Blu-ray transfer is darker than the theatrical release.

D

Deleted member 2457

bigboss said:
FennerMachine said:
The only one on the list I own is Godzilla.

Vary dark transfer to Blu-ray, can hardly see anything in the scenes where you want to see stuff!

You need to calibrate your TV mate.
Did you have your TV and projector done then? How does the two calibrations compare on the TV?

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
Samsung LE32R87DB 32"

04th December 2013

Julian from Display Calibration

(If you see this Julian, I hope you don't mind me posting the above info. Just to add, I like the job you did and I do not regret the cost. Very reasonable. When I eventually replace my TV I will use you to calibrate it).

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts