2 speaker + amp combo in the $1500 range

dza

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
I want my first decent speaker setup, friends suggested 2 passive bookshelf speakers + amp and sub if I want better sound and can live without surround for the TV which seems more costly with receiver and probably less sound for the money.
I listen to mostly electronic music, dub, drumnbass, trap, but also ambient, downtempo, occassionally reggae and rock/metal.
I like them to be able to play low volume and still sound fully detailed and have some oomph for the electronic genres and movie I'm watching. I'm willing to pay upwards of $1500 for the whole setup. Mostly Klipsch, Argon, Dali, B&W, Denon, NAD are available here (Denmark).

One option I see is DALI Oberon 3, NAD C338 or a better one and DALI C-8 D

Another cheaper option is MISSION LX-2 MKII and NAD C316BEE V2

Regarding the connectors it might be slightly limited on those two amps to connect TV and PC. Is it ok if I hook jack -> RCA -> amp or should I go optical/TOSLINK?

Last edited:

Tinman1952

Looks like you’ve been watching John Darko…😁
Even a small sub will make a difference with the music you like…..especially at low volumes where normally the bass can disappear due to our hearing.
The C338 has a built in DAC (so you could use optical from your TV 👍) and is class D. The C316 is a much older class AB design and is an amplifier only. Any chance you could demo them or buy on sale or return?

Reactions: dza

Dom

If I may.
Connecting to a PC can sound bad. Make sure you get the best drivers you can, for example if I use the Microsoft drivers that automatically install with my USB audio 2.0 device, its limited to 24 Bit. This has a negative effect. Once I install the manufacturer drivers and if your drivers allow it, I can now drop this down to 16 Bit. Since most music is recorded in 16 Bit 44.1KHz. It makes music listenable.

Last edited:

dza

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
Looks like you’ve been watching John Darko…😁
Correct! Yes I am going to trial it at a store in Denmark, HiFiKlubben I assume :)

If I may.
Connecting to a PC can sound bad. Make sure you get the best drivers you can, for example if I use the Microsoft drivers that automatically install with my USB audio 2.0 device, its limited to 24 Bit. This has a negative effect. Once I install the manufacturer drivers and if your drivers allow it, I can now drop this down to 16 Bit. Since most music is recorded in 16 Bit 44.1KHz. It makes music listenable.
Right, I will test it out at that point, thanks for the heads up. My current headphone rig is Leckerton Audio UHA6S.MKII and Ultrasone Pro 900. But its time to get some speakers :)

I want my first decent speaker setup, friends suggested 2 passive bookshelf speakers + amp and sub if I want better sound and can live without surround for the TV which seems more costly with receiver and probably less sound for the money.
I listen to mostly electronic music, dub, drumnbass, trap, but also ambient, downtempo, occassionally reggae and rock/metal.
I like them to be able to play low volume and still sound fully detailed and have some oomph for the electronic genres and movie I'm watching. I'm willing to pay upwards of $1500 for the whole setup. Mostly Klipsch, Argon, Dali, B&W, Denon, NAD are available here (Denmark).

One option I see is DALI Oberon 3, NAD C338 or a better one and DALI C-8 D

Regarding the connectors it might be slightly limited on those two amps to connect TV and PC. Is it ok if I hook jack -> RCA -> amp or should I go optical/TOSLINK?

I would look at a good pair of active speakers with a integrated amp. The actives should enable you to connect the PC, Bluetooth etc and the integrated, such as a NAD or Arcam or Roksan Kandy (something similar) will have the RCAs for music, TV, Blu-ray etc etc.

Can't recommend any active brands as I don't know what's available locally to you.

Tinman1952

I would look at a good pair of active speakers with a integrated amp. The actives should enable you to connect the PC, Bluetooth etc and the integrated, such as a NAD or Arcam or Roksan Kandy (something similar) will have the RCAs for music, TV, Blu-ray etc etc.

Can't recommend any active brands as I don't know what's available locally to you.
Really? Why pay for two lots of amplification? Plenty of integrated amps with digital inputs to a DAC….and passive speakers will be cheaper.

gasolin

Im impressed with my Argon Alto 5 Mk2 get on pair for 1198kr with free shipping both ways + there sa1 amp and sub what ever size you prefere or mabye 2 subs

You get alot more from your money than buying something like dali oberon 3 and nad 338 , i would rather have my Argon Alto 5 Mk2 than a pair of oberon 1's. They are 4 ohm speakers so you get more out of the amp then most speakers that are 8 -6 ohm

Last edited:
Reactions: dza and insider9

insider9

Im impressed with my Argon Alto 5 Mk2 get on pair for 1198kr with free shipping both ways + there sa1 amp and sub what ever size you prefere or mabye 2 subs

You get alot more from your money than buying something like dali oberon 3 and nad 338 , i would rather have my Argon Alto 5 Mk2 than a pair of oberon 1's. They are 4 ohm spakers så you get more out of the amp that most speakers that are 8 -6 ohm

That looks cool! I love Danish hifi. I need to remember that make. Thanks!

gasolin

Argon Alto 5 mk 2 vs dali spektor 1

Argon has no holes from the screws,mangetic grill, very stylish (kiss) very high WAF, neutral sound, no intrusive highs, can handle alot of power, 86db and 4 ohm, bigger and cheaper then dali

Dali very warm midbass/lower midrange and very soft highs, mabye to much warmth,softness, 83db 6ohm (need alot to play loud) higher price, alot smaller than argon, visible holes for the grill and screws

argalto5mk2bk_1[1].jpg
dalispektor1bk_o_1[1].jpg

dza

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
Thanks a lot for your answers everyone! I'm super happy for so many inputs with seemingly very seasoned enthusiasts unlike myself :)

Alright, is this because you feel I'd get better sound, or convenience?

You get alot more from your money than buying something like dali oberon 3 and nad 338 , i would rather have my Argon Alto 5 Mk2 than a pair of oberon 1's. They are 4 ohm speakers so you get more out of the amp then most speakers that are 8 -6 ohm

Very interesting reply! What I'm getting from this is you are saying the Argon's essentially are better speakers for the money and better impedance for my amp. Is that correct?

Thanks a lot for your answers everyone! I'm super happy for so many inputs with seemingly very seasoned enthusiasts unlike myself :)

Alright, is this because you feel I'd get better sound, or convenience?

General consensus is a good active speaker is better than an equivalent passive version. The downside of actives is their lack of analogue inputs, hence why I said you could use a trad amp, like a NAD or Arcam as a preamp.

gasolin

Why an integrated amp for active speakers ?

Very interesting reply! What I'm getting from this is you are saying the Argon's essentially are better speakers for the money and better impedance for my amp. Is that correct?

Yes they happen to be 4 ohm and therefor you have more power from any normal amp to play loud and for the bass.

The speakers are more dry,tight in the bass then warm and super loud, any good amp and you have alot of power, when you happen to listen to a good recorded song (bass) bass is more than approved, because of the low price you can within your budget get 1x 10" argon sub or 2 x 8" stands,cables, all you need, you can even get 2x10" if you want to go crazy

Argon Alto 5 MK2 are more balanced then Dali spektor 1, not as warm,soft sounding as dali and have more power (sensitivity and lower ohm) for when you want to play loud, 2x50 watt is loud with the argon's not with the dalis.

Low budget class d amp or a more power full a/b amp the argons can handle it.

Mission LX MK 2 and Wharfedale diamond 12 are also good alternatives to almost double the price of the argons and dali spektor 1

dza

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
Yes they happen to be 4 ohm and therefor you have more power from any normal amp to play loud and for the bass.
I thought the Oberon 3 was a better sound than any of these from reviews, but Mission and Wharfedale are mostly out of stock in the danish webstores I visited the other day.

Regarding active speakers I do want the best sound for the money, but I'm also willing to pay a little more to get exactly what I want. My focus is mostly electronic music, dub, dnb, ambient, trap, beats. Deep fast and slow bass and detailed electronic music like ambient or classical/theatrical in case of watching a movie and I'm very attentious to details I can easily hear a VBR V0 vs CBR 320 in the fadeouts in ambient music I think I can hear the bitrate adjusting and chopping at low volume :)

Its getting tiresome to wear headphones for 4 hours+ but my Ultrasone Pro 900 had such an amazing room for the bass music I listen to and worse in the details/clarity. I honestly can't wait to get some real speakers to alternate.

gasolin

Stock

Why an integrated amp for active speakers ?

Doesn't have to be an integrated amp. It could very well be a dedicated preamp. I suppose because I've only used integrated in a all passive set-up, if I was going active I wouldn't swap my Leema for a preamp. It'll give me all a preamp does and some....

gasolin

Mabye look at goldpoint passive preamps and a phonostage from project

Alot Cheaper, with this combo you can get as good actives as possible, hardly anything in the audio switcher that would ruin the sound quality

Phonostage

Nothing extra you don't need, no tonecontrols, just the basics

Here are a preamp and phonostage with mode settings for the cartridge,phono stage (1 unit)

dza

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
I have found the Dynaudio Emit M30 speakers excellent for electronic music IMO.
Thanks, first hand experience is great. I bought my friend a pair of my Ultrasone Pro 900 when he was just as amazed as me by the unique sound, but he would probably never have bought them himself unless I pushed him ;)

Mabye look at goldpoint passive preamps and a phonostage from project
Is this for the active speakers you'd recommend this, as a convenient way to select outputs? I've tried to read up on all this, but I still don't understand whether its more beneficial to active/passive speakers in what way :)

The Argon Alto 5 MKII and Argon SA1 amp does seem like a great deal indeed and I see the danish shops really list some key features for that amp that is unbeatable at that price.

If anyone has active speakers suggestions or other suggestions to a setup I'm still open :) I can see there's quite a few package(s) on this page (https://hifiklubben.dk) that seem reasonable

Last edited:

dza

Jul 24, 2021
Visit site
Yes for active speakers

Denon not power full enough

Depends on what you want stereo or 5.1

Alright. You have the passive Alto's right, and a Rotel amp, the active version does seem like the same specs tho. I read your review/thoughts on recordere.dk. There doesn't seem to be many reviews of them around, but what I see it sounds like great value.

gasolin

They are better than dali spektor 1 because the are more neutral,flat in the midbass,lower midrange and highs, spektor 1 has more soft highs and alot warmer in the lower midrange,midbass, the argons have higher sensitivity.

Because of t he non pumped bass,midrange the can go pretty close to a wall without having to much warmth

Just don't pair them with a thin sounding system

TRENDING THREADS