2 channels dudes (like myself) got spoil in this issue :-)

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I am a happy reader :) extra pages on temptations, more hifi products review and at last WHF team get to hear one of the best set up hifi out there....NAIM and NEAT combo. Some neg feedbacks if clare and team don't mind I rant! Ipod docks, is it your mission to review every single ipod docks in this world? and that Grundig wireless speakers! How did you ever come across them? Carpet cleaning machine shop?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Well how could we ignore the Neats when there's such a fan-club here?
emotion-2.gif

Re iPod docks - being the key selling/festive season, it's a major new-release and buying time for iPod accessories, DAB radios and more: as the market-leading buyer's guide, it would be rather remiss if we didn't reflect the current state of the market! There's plenty of guys up here asking about these things as well as your particular areas of interest....

...but talking of which. More corking Temptations on their way, plus a speaker Group Test including some models from a certain brand called Neat!

matthewpiano

I think the balance is pretty good in What Hi-Fi these days. I read several hi-fi mags (WHF, Hi-Fi Choice, Hi-Fi World, and Hi-Fi News) and think it is good that there is one (WHF) which tests 2-channel gear within the wider context of the consumer electronics industry.

I also think it is great that people like Andrew Everard, a stalwart of quality hi-fi journalism and somebody whose hi-fi section I enjoy greatly in Gramophone, remains so key to the magazine, bringing it vast credibility as a reviewer of 2-channel and multi-channel audio gear.

Less mainstream and/or more high end approaches to 2-channel audio are catered for extremely well by the other magazines I read and WHF's more inclusive angle on the industry is extremely welcome.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="matthewpiano"]I also think it is great that people like Andrew Everard, a stalwart of quality hi-fi journalism and somebody whose hi-fi section I enjoy greatly in Gramophone, remains so key to the magazine, bringing it vast credibility as a reviewer of 2-channel and multi-channel audio gear.[/quote]

Mother, I told you not to post on here - it's embarrassing!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Clare Newsome"]Re iPod docks - being the key selling/festive season, it's a major
new-release and buying time for iPod accessories,[/quote]

I went out and buy 3 docking stations today for Christmas presents :-()

I feel like a Hypocrite guy now!!!! but thanks for idea Ms N.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="Andrew Everard"]I also think it is great that people like Andrew Everard, a stalwart of quality
hi-fi journalism and somebody whose hi-fi section I enjoy greatly in Gramophone[/quote]

I really would like to know Andrew...when you demo (reviews) the Cambridge Audio budget cd player, did you partner it with £6000 worth of Marantz pre/power amps? If you did what was it sound like?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, don't have access to those pre/powers. AFAICR I tried it with my usual set-ups of Marantz Musicline amps, an Audiolab 8000S (old model) and the TAG McLaren AV rig, all with PMC OB1s

The Michaelson Chronos system was out of use at that time, I think.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I must have read it wrong, I thought you demo SA-7 with the pre and two MA 9 mono blocks in your front room! The mag is at work so I will read it again tomorrow :) oh and nice write up as always (people know that I am not your mum so just take it like a man)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, the old MusicLine pre and monblocs. I mentioned the new pre and monoblocs as a matter of context in the SA-7S1 review, but they haven't been used for reviews in Gramo, though I believe the WHFSV crew have had a play with them.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I always wonder why you don't review any hifi in WHF&V magazine? (I know simon is doing a great job :) and who is reponsable for Teamptation?

A

Anonymous

Yes I thought it was a pretty good issue, I suppose Cyrus weren't included in the CD/Amp/Speaker test because they are about to release the new SE versions of their CD players ???? BTW when are WHF planning to test these players, may I ask?

Looking forward to speaker test next issue.

Cheers.

jules.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="jules153"]Yes I thought it was a pretty good issue,[/quote]

"Pretty good"? You're a tough audience
emotion-2.gif

[quote user="jules153"]

I suppose Cyrus weren't included in the CD/Amp/Speaker test because they are about to release the new SE versions of their CD players ???? BTW when are WHF planning to test these players, may I ask?

[/quote]

You suppose correctly. We are in near-constant contact with (ie nagging!) Cyrus re the SE models, but have yet to see a test sample - the latest prediction is in time for our March issue, out February 7th.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]the latest prediction is in time for our March issue, out February 7th. [/quote]

Out of interest, what is it with the magazine publishing industry that means we get each issue a couple of months before it's date? History is going to be very confused. We don't get Tuesday's paper on Sunday do we? Is it just some inter-brand kudos thing or marketing ploy to try to beat the opposition to the shelves to get that single purchase per motnth from the punter? I've been wondering why for ages and ages because, to be quite frank, it really bugs me!!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It used to bug me, too.

Now I slightly get it: if you publish the January issue on 7th December (say), when it's still on the shelf on 5th January (before the next, February issue arrives) it's still current. If it said December and was still on sale late-December/early Jan, people would think it out of date.

So there you have it - all about you fellas having 'the latest thing' and not feeling past-it. Apparantly.

All it'll take is one publishing house to call an amnesty and we can all get back to real-time!

A

Anonymous

Well okay, but I used to be able to deal with the 25th January for the February issue, that seemed okay. And your remarks on currency still apply. 23rd Feb is still current in Feb. Ah, okay I get it... "end of the month, next one will be out soon so I'll wait and buy that.". I don't think most of us blokes plan that hard - in that case we probably won't actually get around to buying the next one either. Probably for the same reason.

As for feeling past it, well, way too late for that :)

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Clare Newsome"]
[quote user="jules153"]Yes I thought it was a pretty good issue,[/quote]

"Pretty good"? You're a tough audience
emotion-2.gif

[quote user="jules153"]

I suppose Cyrus weren't included in the CD/Amp/Speaker test because they are about to release the new SE versions of their CD players ???? BTW when are WHF planning to test these players, may I ask?

[/quote]

You suppose correctly. We are in near-constant contact with (ie nagging!) Cyrus re the SE models, but have yet to see a test sample - the latest prediction is in time for our March issue, out February 7th.
[/quote]

Oh well, we'll just have to wait!

jules.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Some of us do worry about "NOTHING"! if you buy the mags every month (and you should as a forum member :) then how would issue's name can effect anything.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
The Mag's issue name! you guys (and gals) actually realise what month is on cover, my receipt of mag goes something like this.
Receive issue 9-9.30 ish- (1 day after my friend gets it and invariably damaged by postie), Flick through-read "Reader Rescue", "Sound Advice" and "Temptations" in that order, read Clare's editorial-sorry Clare, (apologies Clare, I realised I keep spelling your name with an "i", I'm mixing up my Cla(i)res). Check out "What's New" and news on Bristol show.
read instant expert, ponder possibility of convinvcing wife to buy iGrado's to use with her Nano. Then read rest of mag and file.
Never even notice what month is on the cover, there have sadly been times when my friend has called me, asked if I have read this month's What Hi-Fi and he's had to tell me what's in it before I can answer him.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts