1960s Dansette Musique Radiogram

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I know its not really HiFi but I just bought a Dansette Musique radiogram. It is stll working in good condition and only cost me £5.00. I'm going to have it restored but with an upgraded cartridge and stylus. Not that I would buy one but how do you think it compares to cheap record players such as Crosley that are available now?

AntAxon said:
I know its not really HiFi but I just bought a Dansette Musique radiogram. It is stll working in good condition and only cost me £5.00. I'm going to have it restored but with an upgraded cartridge and stylus. Not that I would buy one but how do you think it compares to cheap record players such as Crosley that are available now?

No idea as your trying to compare chalk and cheese. I'd be interested in how you are going to fit an 'upgraded cartridge and stylus'. I am not sure what this would have been fitted with in the first place.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi Al Ears, nice to hear from you. Maybe I should not say upgraded more replacement. Apparently you can still get spare parts which include cartridges and stylus.

The Dansette.com website sells replacement parts. I tried to add a link it was blocked

They recommend replacing the old mono cartridges with stereo ones for use with more recent records.

AntAxon said:
Hi Al Ears, nice to hear from you. Maybe I should not say upgraded more replacement. Apparently you can still get spare parts which include cartridges and stylus.

The Dansette.com website sells replacement parts. I tried to add a link it was blocked

They recommend replacing the old mono cartridges with stereo ones for use with more recent records.

Maybe they do but I wouldn't be chancing any of my new LPs on it... ;-)

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Year 1970, my bedroom. Dansette, Led Zepellin 1, Black Sabbath first album and Cream Wheels Of Fire - Superb early evenings, ooh and a few singles Oh Well, ***** Tonk Women etc.

Freddy58

Jan 24, 2014
Visit site
Lost Angeles said:
Year 1970, my bedroom. Dansette, Led Zepellin 1, Black Sabbath first album and Cream Wheels Of Fire - Superb early evenings, ooh and a few singles Oh Well, ***** Tonk Women etc.

thumbs_up.gif

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Will be fitted with a ceramic cart, there's plenty still available second hand if you fancy a change though you will need to stick to a ceramic. If you're looking for something different to the original, I always liked Sonotone, though other brands weren't always necessarily worse. But playing records on something like that will cause most people here to shudder, so while I'm very interested, let's just say on the whole your efforts will be somewhat under appreciated on this forum.

AntAxon

Jan 9, 2015
Visit site
I appreciate that a 50 year old Dansette probably isn't everyones cup of tea. And I don't intend to play any of my good quality records on it. However some of my older records will be just fine. It is more of a nostalgic thing for me.

Rest assured my Project 2Xperience SB DC is not going to be made redundant!

Jan 7, 2008
Visit site
www.vintage-radio.net/forum/ is the site to go to if you need any help, advice, assistance etc. Plenty of guys on here who repair and rebuild Dansettes and other early record players. I do a bit myself, but there people more experienced than me on this site.

Doesn't matter that it's not regarded as a hifi unit, it is, though, a bit of fun and that's what counts. Get my old player out now and then, usually summer when we have a bbq, big box of 45s and let the younguns get on with it. Been asked more than once 'What is it?' and 'How does it turn on and where's the remote?'

Rich

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts