16GB not enough for retina display-optimised iPad apps

I had to delete a movie from my 32GB iPad 2 when a few apps wanted to update after iOS 5.1, for want of space. I can't imagine what would happen to 16GB models, if you have apps optimised for retina display.

http://www.macworld.com/article/1165797/retina_display_ready_apps_and_the_coming_ipad_storage_crunch.html

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I expected Apple to be much smarter than that and manage the apps better with regard to storage neefs i.e. not overload the lower-rez devices with hi-rez graphics. Very odd.

128 gig ipad 3 also sounds as good to have now but again not offered. Hmmm. I am considering ipad 3 and i will use it for thousands of alac files and thousands of pics but now i am not sure if the capacity is sufficient. My iphone 64gig is full and cannot fit all songs so with retina pics on ipad 3 it will be worse!

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
Without match and icloud I have lossless alac and do not pay extra for storage. With match and icloud I cannot have alac and have to pay extra...

A

Anonymous

According to Apple (If they chose to make an honest statement) would be "We set our gizmos up to screw the customer so they have to fork out for higher Gig models or pay for our cloud instead of providing an sd slot...and stuff our customers wanting a USB input and all"! |(

I mean.....16 ruddy Gig is all the starter I Pad has been for two years...even though memory now is cheap as chips and the truth is in the pudding. ;)

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
boozercruiser said:
According to Apple (If they chose to make an honest statement) would be "We set our gizmos up to screw the customer so they have to fork out for higher Gig models or pay for our cloud instead of providing an sd slot...and stuff our customers wanting a USB input and all"! |(

I mean.....16 ruddy Gig is all the starter I Pad has been for two years...even though memory now is cheap as chips and the truth is in the pudding. ;)

Why would you put sd or usb slots on an Apple portable product apart from there laptops which can be used as your main hub.

The hole idea is for to be able to share all your information between your products wireless, and so far they have done a great job.

Not everything falls to everyones expectations but we all know there are things in Apples pipelines to improve things further and further.

You say Apple is ripping people off? Would you buy from someone you felt that was ripping you off? Then its simple don't buy one.

I would buy one if i had the cash and i wouldn't feel ripped off.

John Duncan

boozercruiser said:

1) I have three PCs in the shed, each of which became obsolete as Windows became more bloated. One has an 8GB hard drive (which cost me £250 extra).

2) Memory costs have doubled in the last year.

3) Nobody's making you buy it.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My OH has an 8 GB iPhone - it's all she needs as she doesn't want to fill it with music / videos. She has a few apps, but they're mostly just a few MB each. There are quite a few people who are the same - a cheaper 16 GB model is perfect for their needs.

On the other hand, I have a 64 GB iPhone - I fill it with stuff, most of which I don't really need on a day to day basis, but I like to have the option. If it had been available and was a reasonable price, I may well have purchased a 128 GB version (if it had been available). The trouble is fulfilling the second part of my want i.e. reasonable price - remember this is all SSD storage we're talking about which is signigicantly more expensive than a standard hard drive and the costs rise exponentially as you increase the size. Right now, a 128 GB USB pen drive will set you back nigh on £150 - £200 whereas 64 GB costs less than £50. So introducing a 128 GB iPad right now would have meant too high an RRP.

In a years time, I expect the storage brackets will increase then (or possibly for the next iPhone later this year).

A

Anonymous

Apple is a business like any other and businesses are there to make money.If you rather, apple could just stop bringing out products all together I believe they got enough money now to go around the world a fair few times, forget the world the universe.

amcluesent

Mar 8, 2009
Visit site
I wonder if the 16, 32, 64Gb models actually have different chips installed or do they just jumper a couple of pins to ground to disable the memory on the lower spec models? Big savings on production costs and inventory management with ability to respond to sales demand.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
On the issue of storage, I have an 'old' iPad 2 32GB and already wish I'd gone for 64GB as it's nearly full with all my Apple Lossless music files.
smiley-frown.gif

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
The lack of bump up on the storage to 128 gig in combination with quadrupling the rsolution is odd. Lots of hirez pics + lossless music + some vids will fill 64 gigs too quickly. This should not be the case with a premium priced product. There should be an option with more storage.

A

Anonymous

:read: It takes 141 steps to make an iPhone, and the devices are essentially all handmadeIt takes five days and 325 hands to make a single iPadFoxconn produces 300k iPad camera modules per dayFoxconn workers pay for their own food - about $.70 per meal, and work 12 hour shiftsWorkers who live in the dorms sleep six to eight a room, and pay $17.50 a month to do soWorkers make $1.78 an hourNew employees at Foxconn undergo three days of training and "team building" exercises before they beginThe FLA (which Apple brought in to audit Foxconn) is interested in whether or not workers will look up at visitors in a factory - if they'll be "willing to look at curiosities"Apple paid $250,000 to join the FLA, and is paying for its auditLouis Woo, when asked if he would accept Apple demanding double pay for employees replied "Why not?"[/list]
During the show Weir also spoke with Fair Labor Association president Auret van Heerden, following his inspection of the factory. Heerden said that Foxconn's facilities are ‘first class’ and ‘way above the norm'.

Apple is the first technology company to join the FLA. The iPhone-maker paid $250,000 to join, according to Nightline’s report.

Full report here

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/1255584/apples_iphone_and_ipad_handmade_by_178_an_hour_workers_says_nightline.html

Do you not kow that being able to have an SD Slot or a USB slot would give lots of extra storage and flexibility then and so posibly avoid paying rip off prices for 32 and 64 g models?

Your signature is 'Man on a budget'. Don't make me laugh :rofl:

If Apple are anything...they are not Mugs.

"You say Apple is ripping people off? Would you buy from someone you felt that was ripping you off? Then its simple don't buy one.

I would buy one if i had the cash and i wouldn't feel ripped off".

So no one has the right to have a go at a company then...even if one thinks the company is ripping people off?

I don't buy that. :shame:

When you can afford to buy a new I Pad though, please spare a thought for the workers being paid ONE DOLLER 78 CENTS an hour while living in a Dormatory sleeping six to eight people. :shame:

:cheers:

I won't comment on the living conditions, but with regards to salary, all I can say is the in countries like India & China, this is not an insignificant salary. While working as a doctor in India, I was paid around 70p per hour equivalent 9 years ago. But it was enough to maintain a "higher middle class" status. Today, the same post in the hospital pays a salary equivalent to £1.20 per hour. Everything is cheap there; food, accommodation, clothes etc. so we cannot directly compare their salaries with those in UK & US.

Ryan92

Dec 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree entirely, I imagine if you compare the living conditions of said employees and the factory workers of England, or what's left of them anyway, you'd find an they were pretty similar, in regards to buying your own food, I do that? Is that not the norm?

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
bigboss said:
I won't comment on the living conditions, but with regards to salary, all I can say is the in countries like India & China, this is not an insignificant salary. While working as a doctor in India, I was paid around 70p per hour equivalent 9 years ago. But it was enough to maintain a "higher middle class" status. Today, the same post in the hospital pays a salary equivalent to £1.20 per hour. Everything is cheap there; food, accommodation, clothes etc. so we cannot directly compare their salaries with those in UK & US.

Just looking at some of the Samsung CRTs that are sold in India (they sell a range of 36 different CRT models there). They cost between £60 - £220 (for 14" to 29" models respectively).

Given that there are 36 CRT model variations, from just one manufacturer, then I assume they are popular.

From Bigboss's figures it would seem a basic, small TV could be purchased for the equivalent of about 1 week's doctor's wages.

A 51" Plasma however would cost at least £850 (68,000 INR). So it seems they would only be afforded by some very well-off people. Unlike the UK where 50" Plasmas seem to be everywhere nowadays (if these forums are anything to go by).

A

Anonymous

I see that a 32 Gig minature SD Card can be got on Amazon for £18.80

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-SDSDQM-032G-B35-microSDHC-32GB-Card/dp/B003HIWHN0/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1332032738&sr=8-3

And yet an I Pad 2 is priced at £399 for a 32 Gig model and £479 for a 64 Gig Model.

And with no SD card option I repeat, big Con I say.

Apple know what they are doing.

Rip off their Workers with low live in a Dormatory Wages (Know wonder somee of them throw themselves off the roof) 1 Doller 78 cents an hour.....

And then Rip Off the Customers. |(

But then...some do not seem to mind that! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts