11 years on

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
I set up my first cinema system some 11 years ago, it was based on one of the first and top of the range Pioneer DVD players, using a surround processor to connect it into my hifi system. I never used it that much, rental DVD's here and there, but the sound was always a bit muddled and dialogue was not clear.

After several changes of speakers in the hifi department, giving me the option to set up a separate A/V system, i decided this week was the time to finally do it.

Read the 2009 awards and out i went to buy the Denon AVR-1910 paired with the Sony BDP-S360. So the setup now includes my existing 42inch Pioneer Plasma, Mission 753 front speakers, Quad 11L rear speakers, KEF subwoofer and a Jamo center speaker. I must say it was bliss to use just a couple of HDMI cables rather than endless yards and dozens of cables used to connect up the old system.

Now here's the problem, gear has moved on, myself also in age, but i don't seem to have the understanding on all the buttons, terms and basically how it all works to get the best sound.

I thought i had it sussed looking at the remote from the Denon, with so few buttons, until i found another couple of dozen on the back panel which confused me even more.

I tried the Audyssey MultEQ to make a basic setup and it did, but when i play DVD's i feel that the volume on the center speaker is too low in comparison to the front L&R speakers.

Make no mistake, the new system sounds superb with clear and dynamic sound but i feel its all too complicated(reading the manual is a challenge in itself without a degree in A/V and hardly easy to follow)

I would appreciate if anyone has a similar A/V receiver and can give me a simple step by step explanation on how to achieve the best setup

Thanks for reading

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Had another go at the setup last night. Sticky taped the mic to the lamp stand and took 6 readings. Also found a setting which seemed to have something to do with up-scaling and the tv was now showing 1125I rather than in the 500's the night before with a std DVD.

Picture and sound was now much better, i guess it would be possible to make other adjustments but I decided to leave it at that while i was winning.

Ok this receiver may have won a product of the year award, but it wins no awards for it's manual or ease of operation for someone with no real experience of A/V in my opinion.

IJ

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Well the A/V system is side by side to my hifi system, so i spent the last few hours listening to CD's played through the blue ray/AV system and the hifi system. Ok, i know the Mission 753's are pretty decent, but i was still blown away at how close it was to my much more expensive hifi system. The tone was a bit brighter(which i know if i switch the 753's back in the hifi system), but i felt the av system had a better sound stage and separation of instruments.

The speakers in the hifi system, Usher Be-718's still have a quality and sound above the 753's particularly in the tweeter department, but i was particularly surprised that a cheap blu ray player could sound so good when played alongside a Usher CD-7 with a Wadia 12 DAC

Maybe my 16 year old exposure pre and power amp is getting tired and due for replacement?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts