10 years this month....

I lost my gaming mojo.

I’d been a gamer since I was a kid. Arcades, my cousin’s Intellivision, and me and my brother’s first home console was the Atari VCS around 1978 (which is one reason why I loved the film Ready Player One so much). I feel privileged to have grown up during the birth of home gaming and seen it through its entire life (so far). It’s been a journey.

Fast forward to the 2000s and I was playing games every day. Late 2000s I was online every night with friends from work playing stuff like Grid against components from all around the world. I don’t think we did much for international relations, but I don’t think I’ve ever laughed so hard with the fun we had. And the fact that I could easily kick Lee’s ass on racing games (even though he now works for EA).

Late November 2009, my XBox 360 suffered the “red ring of death”. I think the repair took around 2-3 weeks, then I got my 360 back. I thought it’d be a case of the console coming back, plug it in, and business as usual. Not so. I just couldn’t get back into playing games in the same way. I still love games, and I love playing them, especially retro games, and really really want to play them. I suppose most of my time is spent watching films at the moment, and I could give up some film time to play games, but I think I know if I start playing games again, it’ll be so time consuming that I’ll spend more time doing that than I do watching films! To give you an idea, I’ve watched 635 films so far this year.

What’s odd is that I own a PS4 Pro (haven’t got an XBox One, but I’ve got a few games!). That’s as well as an XBox 360, original XBox, PS2, original PS1, Atari Jaguar, Atari VCS (2600), Nintendo SNES, Nintendo 64, Sega Dreamcast, along with a number of the recent mini consoles that have been released.

Gaming will always have a place in my heart, but I suppose at 50, I’m starting to wonder how much time I’ve got left, and whether it’s worth spending any of that time on gaming. But I’ve got a massive urge to play Crackdown...

scene

I was never quite as into gaming as you, but I lost my mojo earlier... Once it's gone, it's hard to get back into it - and as you get older (and 50 was a little while ago...) the reactions just aren't quite as quick to keep up with all the young 'uns.

I'm impressed at your film count!I struggle to make 2-3 a week...

I don’t have an issue with reflexes - I think growing up with simple, but far more engrossing games than many modern ones has kept me alert - which helped when I was playing a lot of racing games like Grid and Forza Motorsport - not that it did my heart rate any good sometimes! Being out in front with everything to lose really raised my heart rate (good or bad?) and when things were close, I don’t think I actually breathed for several laps! It might take me a little time to get back up to speed, but I don’t think I’ve changed yet in that respect.

And on that subject, I know many dismiss gaming as just a pastime or a waste of time, but I’m convinced it builds and improves reflex and response times when you’re growing up. Good for the brain in my opinion.

As for the film count, I told myself last year that I’d reign in the movie viewing, but for some reason it’s just ballooned and gone crazy! So about half way through the year I just threw caution to the wind and went with it. But this will definitely be my peak year for film viewing, as I definitely intend on limiting it next year. I need to be doing more physical stuff, and would like to improve physical fitness before the decades of crisp and cheese bingeing starts taking its fatal toll!

D

Deleted member 2457

I used to be into gaming when I was about 10-14 years old pretty big but have still bought the consoles over the years since mainly to use them as Blu-ray players and 4K Blu-ray players and HD-DVD players while the non-console Blu-ray players come down in price. Gaming is also said to be a good distraction for the mind too so I have bought them for that reason too.

My favourite game was Virtual Tennis though.

insider9

For me it's about 5. Last game I played through with no break was Uncharted 3. 40 odd hours 😁

Since then there was not many. Witcher 3 probably was the last game I finished.

I waited for Red Dead Redemption and got it but it just came too late.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts