10 of the best British record players of all time

Roger Perry

Feb 17, 2020
Visit site
Unbelievable not to include an SME or a Garrard 301/401.
I agree some of those listed are good.
I still have my 30 year old LP12.
But an SME 20 or 30 is a more faithful to the source reproducer.

AndyS

Mar 12, 2021
Visit site
Unbelievable not to include an SME or a Garrard 301/401.
I agree some of those listed are good.
I still have my 30 year old LP12.
But an SME 20 or 30 is a more faithful to the source reproducer.
I totally agree, I'm completely digital now but back in the day I had a Garrard 401 deck and a SME arm and they were fabulous, not the most expensive but nor the cheapest and that mid price point they were the best, still have it rotting in the garage never to be used again but remember it fondly :)

ultraminiature

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
In 1990 I exchanged my 1980 Linn Sondek for the current model. In March 2022 I serviced it and replaced the cartridge spending numerically the same as I had on the original purchase. I think I would have just listed 10 Linn Sondek ;)

I would have included the Transcriptor Saturn before David Gammon moved the factory to Eire. The transcriptor hydraulic reference enabled Mitchell to get established in hi-fi to then go on to built the Gyrodec . I had the Transcriptor Skeleton in 1978.

Transcriptors

Dec 8, 2023
Visit site
In 1990 I exchanged my 1980 Linn Sondek for the current model. In March 2022 I serviced it and replaced the cartridge spending numerically the same as I had on the original purchase. I think I would have just listed 10 Linn Sondek ;)

I would have included the Transcriptor Saturn before David Gammon moved the factory to Eire. The transcriptor hydraulic reference enabled Mitchell to get established in hi-fi to then go on to built the Gyrodec . I had the Transcriptor Skeleton in 1978.
I agree there have been many more manufacturers of turntables than just the select few that they have chosen.

My late fathers original plan was to take the Hydraulic Reference to Ireland and carry on production there, but as Michell made 55-60% of components he would have gone bust so dad issued Michell a manufacturing license in 1973 much to my mums dismay. So Michell Formed J A Michel in 1973. However my father cancelled this agreement in November in 1973 due to non-payment of royalties.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts