₤370 Standmounts?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello everyone.

Thank goodness I waited a while after I purchased my Rotel RA-04, with which I am very happy, as I can now afford speakers which are slightly higher up the food chain than my originally-intended Bronze BR2s.

I am considering speakers in the higher 300 Pound range, such as the B&W 685s or the MA RS1s. Unfortunately, Epos is not imported into South Africa. Virtually all other brands are available here, so please recommend any similarly priced standmount.

Kind thanks
zimble01

A

Anonymous

hi

IU have never actually heard the 685s but brought a pait of rs1's last week. The speakers are amazing. I heard them along with epos m5 and dynaudio 42s but found these to be superior to the other 2.

A

Anonymous

Hello, and thank you.

Hmmm. I understand (from WHFSV and others) that the RS1s are mildy bass-shy, but, I must admit, I am more drawn to them for their good looks and their genuine veneer (instead of plastic). Are there any other speakers in this price range worth considering with the RA-04?

zimble01

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
I'd definitely hear the B&W 685s - with the family connection to Rotel (part of same company), they're good partners for the RA-04, and if it's bass you're after, they've got bags of the stuff for their size and price.

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare.

Thank you for your help. Any suggestions apart from the RS1s or 685s that you could think of, please? I am sure that there are other good standmounts in this price range...

Thanks
zimble01

A

Anonymous

Hi, I have always been a fan of Mission speakers (well for the last 25 years anyway). If they are available in South Africa, I would definately add the appropriately priced model to my shortlist. Sorry I can't be more specific, but they don't do Hi - Fi in Saudi. I have got a Mission home cinema system in the UK though. And before home cinema took over from my hi fi system, I always had a pair of mission's (either on stands or floor-standing). As a brand I can highly recommend them, for sound, built and aesthetic quality.

Hope that helps, Don.

A

Anonymous

Hello everyone.

After some internet sniffing, it was revealed to me that the Quad 11L2 is also I contender in this price-range. Currently, my auditioning list is composed of the following standmounts:

1) Monitor Audio RS1
2) Bowers & Wilkins 685
3) Quad 11L2

I have seen that some other, less favourable looking 'speakers floating somewhere in the £300+ range, but am sure I have missed some worthwhile options. Please recommend some, Andrew, Thaiman, or anybody, should you think of something unbeknown to me. Most unfortunately, as I have said before, I can't hear the Epos M5s as there is a lack of a distributor at this end of the world. These are to be paired with a Rotel RA-04 amplifier.

Thanks once again.
zimble01

A

Anonymous

hi there.

I had a pair of Quad 11L's for 18 months,loved them,they coped with Death in Vegas well enough.

A

Anonymous

Hello, Mohawk.

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully the short duration of your ownership of the 11Ls was only due to your need for an upgrade, not a failing on their part. I'm assuming Death in Vegas is a band... How did the 'speakers perform in terms of bass, noting their small bass/mid driver?

zimble01

A

Anonymous

Try the Usher S520, won the group test in Hi-Fi World against a few competitors, including the MA RS1...wondered why WHFSV never tested this interesting model from Usher..

Or the AVI Neutron IV mini monitors

Cheers....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="zimble01"]
Hello, Mohawk.

Thank you for your reply. Hopefully the short duration of your ownership of the 11Ls was only due to your need for an upgrade, not a failing on their part. I'm assuming Death in Vegas is a band... How did the 'speakers perform in terms of bass, noting their small bass/mid driver?

zimble01
hi,short duration was indeed because of upgrade,I sold them to a dear friend who is delighted with them.

I mentioned DIV because they are bass heavy,the 11's performed well.

[/quote]

A

Anonymous

Hi Clare-

Would B&W 685 match with RA-06 or RA-1062 ? thx... cal

A

Anonymous

Hello, all.

I listened to the B&W 685s today, along with a pair of Quad 11L2s, both with my RA-04. The Quad loudspeakers impressed with their warmth, detail, and bass-reach, while, IMO, the 685s sounded like a someone playing with chalk on a blackboard. They appeared to have an extremely harsh treble, and very little oomph. I was unable to hear the RS1s, as the dealer was out of stock. However, I did listen to a pair of RS6s, which were simply astounding. The 685s were run-in, and I think their unpleasantness may be attributed to the (acoustically engineered) listening room.

This dealer also stocks Paradigm, which looks gimicky, and Vienna Acoustics, which is expensive. Should I listen to these at all? Any further suggestions would be most welcome!

Many thanks
zimble01

A

Anonymous

The 686's are a much closer match to the RS1 than the 685's are. i demod the 2 and found the 686 to have a sound that was more free from the speaker and a little more punch and drive. the bass from the 686 was equal to the RS1. Are you sure the rotel amp was driving the 685's properly? i know its a bit late to respond but i am new to the forum!

A

Anonymous

I went through a similar process as you two years ago. I instantly fell in love with the RS6s coupled to the Roksan Kandy III and Rotel RA-03, but didn't have the room for them. The RS1s were indeed a little bass shy, but more than made up for this shortfall in their mid and upper. The solution - I bought the RS1s and a REL Quake sub. Now I can tune to any room I like, to any music or film, and I get the advantages of standmounters and _very_ low bass extension. If the budget doesn't allow, get the RS1s and a sub later on when you've got used to them. Good luck!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts