£600-£1000 standmounts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

John Duncan

[quote user="drummerman"]Mr Duncan, I have Spendors SA1ÿand PMC DB1i on loan at home (had them since friday but unfortunately not much time due to work). The Spendors are without their nice stands, they are busy somewhere else, but my own should be suitable without compromise. Both follow that small cone trend but use different principles to achieve their respectiveÿ'presentations'. I'll start a thread on themÿon tuesday or so when they have to go back.ÿ[/quote]

Any views yet? Have booked myself in for a 'Spendor Bookshelves' assessment next weekend, though this may be scuppered by my car conking out last night - will need to wait to see how much a mechanic sucks his teeth tomorrow before deciding whether I have a spare £1.1k.......

In discussion, I understand that the Spendor stands are compliant, as opposed to mass loaded, which just doesn't work for me - the kids would have 'em over soon as look at 'em - will need to stick with my Apollos.

And as an aside, I saw the Spendor/Amp compatibility chart, and the Primare is a big fat red (as in bad) with the SA1s........

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
Good news. They are so small you can transport them in a basket on a push bike so you wont need a car. The bad news ... got the PMC's on at the mo but have to go out for the entire a/noon soon
emotion-6.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
... the pmc's are not the bad news of course, I actually really enjoy them. I was praying for bad weather today but guess what ... its sunshine wherever I look and now under orders to get my pale, vampire like hifi bleached skin out in da daylight. Might go up in smoke ...

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
drummerman - i know you like the Epos M5's from other posts - i own these.
i would interested in your comparative view of the speakers you have on test to the M5's - mainly for the extra money how much extra value do you get.
I am in a place deciding if its worth upgrading or not at the moment and the PMC ones are on my shortlist at the moment.

John Duncan

[quote user="drummerman"]
Good news. They are so small you can transport themÿin a basket on aÿpush bike so you wont need a car. The bad news ... got the PMC's on at the mo but have to go out for the entire a/noon soon
emotion-6.gif

[/quote]

S'ok, I have all week
emotion-1.gif

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
Rega's R3, though not standmounts, will give you exactly the balance you're looking for.

[/quote]

thanks drummerman, when i went for the demo i thought i was just after deeper bass and more detail then my dyn 42's provide but on listening to some options i realised that i prefer a fast and agile bass performance and would sacrifice some weight for it. do you think the rega's will satisfy on that score? there is a rega dealer near where i live but getting my equipment there is a pain, so would like to be reasonably sure they will offer what i want - speed, clean mid and neutral balance.
emotion-1.gif
and do you think they will stand an upgrade? i've only had my kit a few months but i'm starting to be prompted to reproduce and think i'll be too skint to upgrade for about 20 years once the sprogs start coming!

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="Craig M."]thanks drummerman, when i went for the demo i thought i was just after deeper bass and more detail then my dyn 42's provide but on listening to some options i realised that i prefer a fast and agile bass performance and would sacrifice some weight for it. do you think the rega's will satisfy on that score? there is a rega dealer near where i live but getting my equipment there is a pain, so would like to be reasonably sure they will offer what i want - speed, clean mid and neutral balance.
emotion-1.gif
and do you think they will stand an upgrade? i've only had my kit a few months but i'm starting to be prompted to reproduce and think i'll be too skint to upgrade for about 20 years once the sprogs start coming[/quote]

I think you may find what you're looking for in the Rega. Especially good with cyrus8 components but it really is an easy to match and unfussy about placement speaker and great material value too.

A

Anonymous

Igglebert,

Gather you like the speakers but on the forum I not reference to a 'compatibility chart'. Very intrested to find if ther are particular amp recommendations for the SA1? Am Looking for possible compact wall mounted replacements for Spendor S6' s not a wholesale change at present. Presently using MF gear at present-should have enough power but again, would like to hear your opinion.

Okay, I am new here so apologies if youve all been there and done that.

Regards

John Duncan

[quote user="AndrewJoy"]I note reference to a 'compatibility chart'[/quote]

Your Spendor dealer ought to be able to help you out - think it was a dealer reference document which i was shown, which showed the Primare A21 as a big fat red with the SA1s - didn't really notice amps which were green or yellow.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="AndrewJoy"]
Igglebert,

Gather you like the speakers but on the forum I not reference to a 'compatibility chart'. Very intrested to find if ther are particular amp recommendations for the SA1? Am Looking for possible compact wall mounted replacements for Spendor S6' s not a wholesale change at present. Presently using MF gear at present-should have enough power but again, would like to hear your opinion.

Okay, I am new here so apologies if youve all been there and done that.

Regards
[/quote]
I was intrigued to hear about a compatibility chart; I didn't know one existed.

JD - any chance you could share this with us? If not, I will contact Spendor as I'm changing my amp next year and want to start thinking about it!

I know that they're power hungry speakers and will want at least 60W (based on technical tests done by Hifi News). They also have some nasty impedance characteristics which would "upset" lower quality electronics...whatever that means. I suspect the more power you have the better but don't go for anything less than 60W or with a retail price of less than £500 IMO.

Craig M.

Mar 20, 2008
Visit site
i think it was John Duncan who posted re: the compatibility chart, i too am interested in this as i can't find anything with google.

bloody hell, you lot type fast!!
emotion-2.gif

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]I know that they're power hungry speakers and will want at least 60W (based on technical tests done by Hifi News). They also have some nasty impedance characteristics which would "upset" lower quality electronics...whatever that means. I suspect the more power you have the better but don't go for anything less than 60W or with a retail price of less than £500 IMO.[/quote]

Nice pair of speakers you have there Iggs
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

Nice pair of speakers you have there Iggs
emotion-21.gif

[/quote]
:) Cheers...they surprise me everyday. Lovely texture and timbre with smooth treble and natural mids. Fancy a new amp and sub now but hey, this is a hobby so plenty of opportunity to stay interested.

Any thoughts on what might be a good amp match? Was concerned that a rich and warm amp might not suit but need to do some testing.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]Any thoughts on what might be a good amp match? Was concerned that a rich and warm amp might not suit but need to do some testing[/quote]

They sounded fine with the amps i've tried them with (cyrus/psx, flying mole). The latter is quite transparent and both have great bass. AVI would be a good match too I'd say. I was hoping to try them with a low powered phonosophie but it was used elsewhere and I did run out of time eventually. Next time. The only problem I had was to much (mid) bass but I put that down to not having enough time to position them properly and not having the dedicated stands.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="igglebert"]Any thoughts on what might be a good amp match? Was concerned that a rich and warm amp might not suit but need to do some testing[/quote]

The only problem I had was to much (mid) bass but I put that down to not having enough time to position them properly and not having the dedicated stands.
[/quote]
Yeah, I'd noticed that on the occasional track. I think there's a danger they can sound a tiny bit muddied because of it. I emptied my stands to see if there was an improvement and there was, so I presume the Spendor stands are a good call. I also thought that careful amplification choice would help the issue, hence the concern over overtly rich and warm amps. Who knows, time will tell.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="igglebert"]Yeah, I'd noticed that on the occasional track. I think there's a danger they can sound a tiny bit muddied because of it. I emptied my stands to see if there was an improvement and there was, so I presume the Spendor stands are a good call. I also thought that careful amplification choice would help the issue, hence the concern over overtly rich and warm amps. Who knows, time will tell[/quote]

Hey man, you sound (read) a bit down. Great speakers and personally I would start with a cyrus 8vs2 new or s/h depending on funds then psx it in the future. Fantastic looking/sounding system for years to come.

TRENDING THREADS