£500 budget - Something individual? Tivoli Model series?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there, as a newbie to the site I'm aware you're probably used to dealing with people that have much bigger budgets but I'm hoping you can help anyway!

I'm not really up on whats good and bad in the audio world, indeed the only name I can think of is Denon and Marantz, so please axcuse my relative ignorance!

I'm after something thats a little individual, certainly nothing from the more mainstream Japanese brands such as Sony or Panasonic etc. I've nothing against them, I just want something thats has a bit more charachter.

I've found the Tivoli Model series is along the right lines? Yet reviews seem to be fairly thin on the ground so I don't know much about them, the link below is to the unit I like.

http://www.aqdab.com/store/en/view_product/x/2046/?a=507

I'm worried that it's a bit of a "fad" and that performance isn't all that good, can anyone comment?
I listen to all types of music so it needs to be pretty flexible, and a CD is a must obviously. I'm not too concerned about any MP3 connectivity although I guess it'll become more useful as time goes on. Also, I don't need ear shattering performance, I rarely listen to music at a particularly loud level.

Can anyone recomend a system that may fit my needs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
Hi there Steven. The Tivoli system could well meet your needs for something a little more individual, if you don't mind having all those separate components. We've tested several of the Tivoli radios with good results, the Model One getting 5 stars and the DAB version 4 stars. Haven't tried out the CD player and full system, though.

I know you say you don't want anything mainstream from the Japanese brands, but it's also worth considering the Onkyo CS-515DAB micro system (£300) which was our Product of the Year in 2006. It's really musical and is specially tuned to suit British tastes.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Hi Steven

You want quirky? How about the Shanling MC-30?Chinese made, built-in CD player, FM/AM tuner and iPod dock, and valve powered. It delivers 3W per channel, so no danger of ears being shattered, and it certainly looks like nothing else, as you can see here.
We're just awaiting review samples, but the buzz is this is something rather special, and at £500 it suits your budget - although that price doesn't include speakers.I'll keep you posted as soon as I've had a listen

A

Anonymous

This Shanling MC-30, is that the CD player and ipod dock unit that uses tube amplifiers all in the same chassis?

If so then I'm interested! How much do i need to spend on speakers to do the unit justice?

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yup, that's the one, as you can see in the enlarged picture on that site I linked to.Provided you want a good sound at sensible levels in a smallish room, I reckon some small speakers along the lines of the Tannoy Mercury F1 Custom (£109 a pair) or the Mordaunt-Short MS902is (£150) would do the trick.
I'm going to try it with a pair of PMC DB1s, which are much more expensive but extremely revealing - I'll let you know how I get on...

A

Anonymous

I've just come across the Pure Digital Legato (1 and 2)

How do these units compare to the Tvoli? I've managed to find the Legato 1 which looks great for just £219.00 and the optional Sub for another £100, brings it squarely inline with the Tivoli offering for my requirements, and at just £319.00 for the unit and sub, makes it considerably cheaper than the Tivoli.

Is the Tivoli worth the extra as I was looking to spend £500, to spend less is just a nice bonus.

Cheers!

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
The WHFSV reviews gave each Pure Legato system three stars, stating poor sound when compared to the class leaders in each case.

BTW, some first impressions of the Shanling here.

Razz

Jun 25, 2007
Visit site
I have to say this Tivoli looks very interesting - and I've always heard only good things about Tivoli equipment... Now you only need to listen to it and see FOR YOURSELF if you like the sound :)

You can also get pretty good separates for this money - from the likes of Cambridge Audio or Marantz - although I'm not sure you could also include a radio... Cheapest separates from Cam Audio cost 200 quid each ( the 540C CD player and 540A amplifier) - and you could partner these with the well-reviewed latest Mordaunt Short 150 quid speakers. (Actually this was judged a best system by this magazine).

Around the same price you will find separates at Marantz (they have a CD player at 150 and an amp at 180 quid) which you could try in association with the above speakers or the Monitor Audio Bronze BR2's for instance (at 200 quid).

The separates routes will give you a better sound than the Tivoli... However if you need a radio I have to say it is very unlikely you will find a better neater deal than this Tivoli one.

let us know what you've found :)

Good luck shopping,

Razz

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts