£300ish Amplifier??

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

I'm going with the £800 amp and £800 speakers...

But seriously, i think i am going to stick with my original budget and get the ROTEL RA-04. The size of my room doesn't justify anything bigger/better/more powerful....

I need some new headphones too and have seen the Sennheiser HD595 at a good price.

A good job i only do this ever 7 years

A

Anonymous

Hey,

I heard the Marantz 6002 Amp vs Rotel 04/05 with a Project Expression III turntable (2M Red cartridge) driving a pair of B&W 685's.

I thought the Marantz won hands down, lovely sounding Amp.
Was pleasantly surprised especially with all the B&W with Rotel chatter.

As always let your own ears be the judge.

It retails ~£280, but I think Hi-fi X are doing them for £219.

http://www.hifix.co.uk/sku2.lasso?MARANTZ-PM6002&item=081eb619bd59e963af7210fb47ff2781

Looks like its gone up to £249.95 - DOH !

Regards,

ssvirk

p.s. just wanted to check it's ok to post links to sites?? Wasn't sure being a newbie.
Apologies if this is not allowed.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
[quote user="ssvirk"]p.s. just wanted to check it's ok to post links to sites?? Wasn't sure being a newbie.
Apologies if this is not allowed.[/quote]

AFAIK, it's only links to competetor's websites / other forums etc that are looked down upon, and even then only when it's blatant - so I think you should be fine here!

pauln

Feb 26, 2008
Visit site
Well I bought a Rega Brio in the end - ex demo for £275 - I'm very happy with it, much more detail than I could hear with the old Mission Cyrus One, but then it was 22 years old. However it does sound a bit harsher than it did in the shop. (My wife called it tinny) Maybe it's the room, which is acoustically quite live with a wood floor and wooden shutters instead of curtains. It would be nice if it were a bit more mellow sounding. Any recommendations for speakers, if I were to get some new ones (currently Linn Index), that might achieve that? And how much difference do £40 phono interconnects really make - is it really worth it at this level?!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
[quote user="ssvirk"]p.s. just wanted to check it's ok to post links to sites?? Wasn't sure being a newbie.
Apologies if this is not allowed.[/quote]

No problem from our point of view, except for one or two rival sites that persistently insist on slagging us off. Otherwise OK.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="pauln"] However it does sound a bit harsher than it did in the shop. (My wife called it tinny) Maybe it's the room, which is acoustically quite live with a wood floor and wooden shutters instead of curtains. It would be nice if it were a bit more mellow sounding. [/quote]

Has it been fully run in yet? , If so, your best solution would probably be a nice thick rug, assuming that you could get away with it.

[quote user="pauln"] And how much difference do £40 phono interconnects really make - is it really worth it at this level?!
[/quote]
What are you using now? Cables are probably the upgrade most argued about on the forums. Personally I think they would be worth buying if you are using the freebies that came with the kit, however as they let through more information they may make the sound harsher, see if a dealer will let you demo some at home and only buy them if you think the difference is worth it.

Flatsound

Jul 22, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="pauln"]
Well I bought a Rega Brio in the end - ex demo for £275 - I'm very happy with it, much more detail than I could hear with the old Mission Cyrus One, but then it was 22 years old. However it does sound a bit harsher than it did in the shop. (My wife called it tinny) Maybe it's the room, which is acoustically quite live with a wood floor and wooden shutters instead of curtains. It would be nice if it were a bit more mellow sounding. Any recommendations for speakers, if I were to get some new ones (currently Linn Index), that might achieve that? And how much difference do £40 phono interconnects really make - is it really worth it at this level?!

[/quote]

Hi pauln

Try DNM cables or CYRUS, both are made with solid core. These cables work very well with the Rega Brio. I use them (Cyrus) with my Brio for more than year now, it sounds bigger, natural, dynamic and times very well. It was a great improvement from chord cables.

Regards

Flatsound

A

Anonymous

Can I just take this moment to say that to all my efforts Marantz doesn't appear to sell the 6002 in Canada, or North America at all for that matter. They sell the 7001 in the states, I had a listen in massachusetts. I might have bought the 6002 if I could've found one. They made my decision easy!

Typical New Yorkers, ignoring us hill folk.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts