£300 Christmas Prezzie but which one?!

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
With Christmas closing in fast thoughts have once again turned to upgrades and knowing I've about £300 to play with I've run into a three-way quandry. Which of the following would you choose?

[*]Finally add the long wanted B&W ASW 608 sub to give give movies the impact we've been missing.
[*]Swap out the ageing Tosh DVD for a shiney Sony BDP S560.
[*]Forgoe the S560 for a S360 and repair the Alpha 7 CD's loading mechanism that now rejects all discs.

In recent times we're watching far more movies than listening to two channel tunes (sadly) so the movie enhancing bits are certainly to the fore. However the Squeezebox has reminded me just how much I enjoy just listening as I gradually FLAC our CD collection. It also reminds me how much I miss the dynamism of a genuine cd-player to sterio amp.

Fine peeps of the What Hi-Fi forum whadda you reckon?

A

Anonymous

Forget the sony bdp560 and go for the 760, happy christmas.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
go for the blu-ray player, turn your bass up if you want more & the player will also play you music cd's so you can put the repair off for now!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
nick46:Forget the sony bdp560 and go for the 760, happy christmas.

I'd second that. The '560 is merely the '360 with wi-fi connectivity - for a true performance hike, you need to move up to the '760, which you can now buy for @£330
emotion-3.gif

rigors

Nov 7, 2009
Visit site
Clare Newsome:nick46:Forget the sony bdp560 and go for the 760, happy christmas.I'd second that. The '560 is merely the '360 with wi-fi connectivity - for a true performance hike, you need to move up to the '760, which you can now buy for @£330
emotion-3.gif

is there really a big difference between these 2 machines? only difference seems to be processing software as far as i can see...

why not just get a PS3 for £250?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yes, there is - why not audition them side by side and see/hear the difference?

And don't overlook 'processing software': most modern CE equipment stands/falls by the quality of its software engineering,not just hardware.

Re the PS3 - if you want everything else it has to offer, yes it should be considered. But the S360 outperforms it as a Blu-ray player - particularly when it comes to motion-handling.

Vimeous

Aug 19, 2008
Visit site
S760 for £330?
A fine bargain!

Even more so now I see the 608 has jumped £50 in 6 months.

Now for a question I suspect is somewhat rhetorical:

How close will the S760 get to the Alpha 7 with CD's?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts