£1k vinyl system?

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
I was chatting with a good friend who has recently got in to vinyl.
He has a Sony PS-LX310BT - reviewed here https://www.whathifi.com/reviews/sony-ps-lx310bt
It has it's own on board phono stage and is wired in to a stand alone speaker. I've no idea what the cart is, but I presume it's MM.
I’ve been on at him to invest in a bit of a more traditional set up, especially a pair of speakers and possibly an integrated amp.
He's finally buckled (!) and has asked me to help him.
So my learned friends, can you help at all?
I've checked out the deck, but I might advise him to move that on and consider a Rega Planar 1 or possibly a Project.
Regarding the amp, would there be an issue using the Sony into another amp, or would the output be too much with the onboard phono stage? I'm not sure, as I use MC with lower output and not very familiar with MM these days.
I was thinking of recommending the Cambridge AXA 35, Marantz PM6007, Rega io (presumed symmetry with Rega deck?), or possibly the Onkyo?
Speaker wise, the stand mount market is so wide, I'm just not sure.
I am aware of a pair of Kef LS50 Meta and R3 that may be coming up secondhand.
Is the amplification I've identified powerful enough to drive either of these?
A lot to consider, with a strict £1k cap.
Any thoughts?

Roksan Kandy produced a Bluetooth a amp, known as the K2 BT. Long out of production but can be had on the used market. The Kandies have very good built-in phono stages, and at 130 watts per channel should drive the LS50 Meta without any issues.
Here's what they look like

Reactions: Clarkey_71
I'd suggest looking at the Rega System One, which combines a Planar 1 turntable, IO amplifier and Kyte speakers. It's very capable for the money and perfectly balanced.

The little Kytes are capable of showing future improvements in source and/or amplification.
Sounds interesting, especially the Kyte speakers. I know Rega speakers have had mixed reviews in the past.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Thanks all.
Really helpful comments.
I recognise the options of the secondhand market, but not sure my friend would be so keen for his first proper system.
If there was some wriggle room with the top budget, say £1.5k, does this significantly open up options?
Also, any thoughts on the turntable? Stick or twist?

Thanks all.
Really helpful comments.
I recognise the options of the secondhand market, but not sure my friend would be so keen for his first proper system.
If there was some wriggle room with the top budget, say £1.5k, does this significantly open up options?
The Sony is a great little item, doing all it does for a very modest outlay. But as the review says, it can be bettered for sound. And if you’re contemplating spending a grand or more on amp and speakers it’ll be the weakest link by a long way.

Fine, if it’s just the odd LP, but I didn’t notice you mentioning CD player or streaming, for example. Otherwise, if it is his main source you need to think at least 40% turntable, 30% each amp and speakers, as a very rough guide to expenditure. Not 20, 20, 60 with the lions share on speakers.

A pick from a dealer, to illustrate a great value bundle.

Plus £400 for a Planar 1 or Pro-ject RPM

Lots more options, like the Rega system Matt mentioned above, or the new Pro-ject ‘colour’ bundle of items.

Thanks all.
Really helpful comments.
As @nopiano correctly stated there's plenty to choose from, depends on whether a new system will suffice, as the used market opens up other tempting combinations.

Most reputable dealers offer ex-dem or 'Open box' components as well as second hand.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Again, really helpful comments.

I thought the various bundles offered here also looked interesting.

Reactions: Al ears
Again, really helpful comments.

I thought the various bundles offered here also looked interesting.

Yes, that’s a very nice little system and a reputable dealer who will help with any particular requirements.

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
It's taken a while, but my friend has finally purchased his new system.
I gave him several options and encouraged him to dig a little deeper if he could.
We visited Richer Sounds in Cambridge and auditioned a few bits and bobs.
He'd already upped his budget, but couldn't resist going a little further once he heard some of the options.
It was great to see his reaction when he heard his final choices in full flow!
He couldn't have been happier!

He ended up:

Turntable - Dual CS 418
Amp - Cambridge Audio CXA81
Speakers - Dali Oberon 5
Cables - Chord

I gave him several options and encouraged him to dig a little deeper if he could.
He'd already upped his budget, but couldn't resist going a little further once he heard some of the options.

He ended up:

Turntable - Dual CS 418
Speakers - Dali Oberon 5
Cables - Chord
Glad he is happy with what he has.
If you believe WHF reviews he might improve it ast some point in the future by replacing the turntable built-in phono preamp with an external one.....

Clarkey_71

Oct 12, 2007
Visit site
Glad he is happy with what he has.
If you believe WHF reviews he might improve it ast some point in the future by replacing the turntable built-in phono preamp with an external one.....
Exactly my thoughts too.
I would have liked to consider a Project TT with a phono stage, but having already exceeded the budget, the Dual was the best fit for the price.
I will definitely encourage an upgrade at some point, but he's got his whole collection to be blown away by!
We all remember those days and long for that new kit buzz again!

Reactions: Al ears
Exactly my thoughts too.
I would have liked to consider a Project TT with a phono stage, but having already exceeded the budget, the Dual was the best fit for the price.
I will definitely encourage an upgrade at some point, but he's got his whole collection to be blown away by!
We all remember those days and long for that new kit buzz again!
Dont we just..... :)

He ended up:

Turntable - Dual CS 418
Speakers - Dali Oberon 5
Cables - Chord
Nice combo.

Dual have always been well regarded for decades, although not heard their modern incarnations.

Realistically, we can always improve on our current kit(s), regardless of how much or little they cost. The trick is to find a contentment within his budget.

I doff my hat to him (or would if I owned one)🙂

matthewpianist

Dual have always made good turntables. I had a CS503-2 years ago and had many engaging listening sessions with it. I haven't heard any of the current range but I'd be very surprised if they were less than decent and when I did see one in the flesh it seemed nicely made.

TRENDING THREADS