£1100 speakers to match Cyrus

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Cyrus CD8x and 8vs amplifer, both with PSX-Rs, and I am looking for speakers to match with this system.

I currently have a pair of Acoustic Energy AE109s, which were £400 about 12 years ago and are they only part left from my old system. Although they are not up to the quality of the source and amp, I still like their clean mid-range and honesty with vocals. However, they sound a bit lean, lack bass and get a bit lost when things get busy. I predominantly listen to rock and indie (think Foo Fighters) and the AE109s can often make a muddle of busy sections of the tracks.

So, I have £1100ish to spank on a new pair of speakers and I am looking at compact floorstanders for a 4m by 5m (approx room). Having read around, I have made my own audition shortlist: Pro-Ac 130; PMC GB1i; and Spendor S5e. All will be listened to at some point or other, but sadly not all in the same dealer, so I can't make direct comparisons.

Firstly, how do people think these speakers would go with my kit? I am aware that Cyrus has a sound that can err on the side of leanness, so I want a speaker with open and deep bass to compensate. Thanks for your advice.

If there are any other models I should definitely audition, please let me know. Although it should be my second consideration, I don't want an ugly speaker. My wife has to look at them too, and I have ruled out Epos, for example, for looking too darn speakerish. PMCs float my boat for grille-on and grille-off style, so follow that lead...

Gaviatrix

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
With a very similar set-up to yours, Phil (although I think my next purchase may be an 8-Power rather than a second PSX-R) I too am thinking of upgrading my old speakers - in my case 1988 Ruark Acoustics Sabres on Heybrook HBS1 stands. They still sound very good but are looking battered and I have a bigger listening room these days so can accommodate larger speakers at last. So I shall be very interested in the discussion in this thread. All of your choices are on my listen-to list, and I'll also add the Spendor A5s and A6s given recent rave reviews, and the Dynaudio Excite X32s. Let's see what folk think!

A

Anonymous

I would save a few more quid and head straight to the Spendor A5s. But then I would because I'm a Spendor nut...

PMCs are fantastic though. The FB1i being a particular favorite of mine.

What about a pair of decent stand mounters? ATC do some crackers that will give excellent bass. The SCM11 with Partington stands would be rather nice.

Miker

Jul 26, 2007
Visit site
My set up is Cyrus CD8x/Psxr, Prevs2/Psxr and 2 * XPowers. I'm very happy with my Spendor S5e speakers chosen partly because their relatively small size was not too objectionable to my wife. I must admit, though, if I were buying now I would also audition the Spendor A5s.

A

Anonymous

Actually, having read this months mag, I will put the Spendor A5s on my shortlist too. Although they are an extra £200 over the PMCs, Pro-Acs or Spendor S5es, they aren't bi-wirable, so I can save a few bob by only getting a single run of cable. That's what I will tell my wife anyway when I try and demonstrate the 'value'!

With regard to the fact that I can't demonstrate all three manufacturers in the same dealer, should I instead stamp my feet and demand a home demo?

A

Anonymous

A decent dealer should let you do this without having to stamp your feet.

I auditioned PMC GB1i's(dealer got them in from another Branch as he did not stock PMC), KEF XQ30 (wife loved looks) and Spendor A5,s- despite looks of the KEf we both agreed the Spendors were clearly the best- so have ordered them and now awaiting delivery-was disappointed by the PMC's- just did not engage-did not feel involved in the music, Kef's were good but over a time would be fatiguing as high frequencies can dominate

Naim Nait 3, Naim Cd3.5 +flatcap , rebuilt Thorens TD 160 +RB300+Ortofon MC15, Rega Radio.

A

Anonymous

Well, I auditioned the Spendor A5 and A6 yesterday.

I was impressed by the little A5s for the detail and stereo imaging, but they lacked real oomph and struggled to fill the space they were working in, which was comparable to my lounge. Still very, very good, though.

I then tried the A6 and, with the bigger cabinets, they fared much better and brought much more excitement to the music. The bass was bigger but the detail was still superb. So, I am pretty much sold on the A6s.

Thanks for the advice.

TRENDING THREADS