£1000 to spend on speakers

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Friends - I have £1000 to spend on Speakers - what do you recommend? I listen to all sorts of music from classical to soul, to pop, to hip hop.

I'd appreciate some ideas .... I'm tempted to audition the Roksan K2 TR5.

I will be upgrading my amp later in the year with a view of spending up to £2000 so the speakers will need to be up to the task of being powerd by an £1000+ amp. I've thought about: Caspian, Primare, Leema, Arcam and musical fidelity.

Cheers,
Kub.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Kubs, I have a couple of questions:

- Do you have a preference of Floorstanders or Standmounts.
- What size is your room
- What sort of sound are you after
- Have you heard a speaker/amp combo that you liked.

IMO It will be vital to demo the speakers on the end of the amps that are on your shortlist (even if the amp is to be added later)......you need to know what works with what (for you).

Kubs

Nov 8, 2007
Visit site
Thanks for the reply cnoeveil.

They need to be standmounts
Room size is 15 x 20 (ft) - I live in a 1 bed flat in London so space is limited although it is a reasonable size for a London flat.
I'd like a detailed, smooth, open, wide soundstage sound (am I asking too much).
I haven't been in a hi fi shop for ages - I've recently got the bug again and realise my weakest link are my speakers.

I need to go and audition but thought I'd get some ideas as there is so much choice.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
If you don't mind ex-demo or second hand, Spendor SA1, new version (2007 onward).

Smooth with a bit of sparkle and detail and a great sound stage.

You will need to demo first, not to everyone's liking like every other piece of Hi-Fi!

Also, if you like musical fidelity amps they are one of the makes Spendor used when developing the SA1.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I would suggest the following speakers:

- Kef R300
- Dynaudio Focus 110 / Excite 16
- PMC DB1i
- Proac Studio 115
- Spendor S3/5R2

FWIW. My choice of amp would be Musical Fidelity M3i

shooter

May 4, 2008
Visit site
If you stick with Roksan, PMC may be worth a demo, DB1i or TB2i both in budget if you hunt about.

Stockists:

http://www.pmc-speakers.com/distribution/distribution.php?mode=view-uk-regionlist&id=London

A

Anonymous

Vienna Acoustics will give you a level of detail that your current Quads hint at and a full bodied sound that they could never match - by taking the harshness out of the mid-range.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Kubs said:
I will be upgrading my amp later in the year with a view of spending up to £2000 so the speakers will need to be up to the task of being powerd by an £1000+ amp.

At the risk of sounding predictable...

AVI ADM9T with AVI 10" sub. You'll be hard pushed to find anything better for £2K.

matthewpiano

Give some Epos speakers a listen. If you can grab a pair of M12i end of line you'll get a great bargain, but otherwise it would be well worth trying to hear the new Elan 15 standmounters (replacements for the M12i) when they become available (if they are as good or better than the M12i they will be stunning). I find Epos speakers fabulously musical and involving, and somewhat under-rated.

A

Anonymous

+1 for AVI ADM9.1T

For that money you get the speakers,amps,dac & preamp...I bought mine without audition & have not been disappointed in the slightest...listen to music more than ever..or for 2k you will get the speakers plus the sub & stands... :cheers:

A

Anonymous

matthewpiano said:
Give some Epos speakers a listen. If you can grab a pair of M12i end of line you'll get a great bargain, but otherwise it would be well worth trying to hear the new Elan 15 standmounters (replacements for the M12i) when they become available (if they are as good or better than the M12i they will be stunning). I find Epos speakers fabulously musical and involving, and somewhat under-rated.

+1

Actually +2, since I have two pairs (ES30s and ES14s) :grin:

Not to mention, you can get the older ES range as cheap as chips these days.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The amplifier/speaker pairing is an extremely important one, so if you're going to update your amplifier later in the year, you need to take this into account now - don't get speakers that suit the Roksan, as they may not suit the amp you go for in the future.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
The amplifier/speaker pairing is an extremely important one, so if you're going to update your amplifier later in the year, you need to take this into account now - don't get speakers that suit the Roksan, as they may not suit the amp you go for in the future.

Exactly...buy the ADMs and you don't have to worry about synergy!!

I was a box swapper.. hence my nickname "gadget man" !

I still like swapping boxes but it's now to a far lesser extent... just listen to the music and stop worrying about synergy between amps,speakers and Dacs...! More people every day are coming around to well designed actives..where the speakers & amps are designed in house to perfectly suit whats needed.

A

Anonymous

I'm sure everyone knows what I am going to put but...

Cyrus coupled with Vienna Acoustics is fantastic, especially with classical.

philipjohnwright

Jun 26, 2009
Visit site
Kub

I'm not going to get into the debate about which speaker to buy - you don't need another person batting for their personal favourite. Two thoughts though: -

- As someone else has said, buying secondhand will make your money go much further (up to twice as far if buy wisely, slightly less if you go ex-dem via a dealer, but that would allow you to audition them properly, which would be worth the slightly reduced saving))

- If I had £3k to spend on amp and speakers I'd spend £2k on the speakers and £1k on the amp. So maybe wait a bit ...?

Re the latter, I used to own B&W Nautlius 802's. When I auditioned them I tried them with a Meridian amp against the lesser 803's with a better amp (Chord). It was night and day in favour of the dearer speakers / cheaper amp.

Have fun.............!

hoopsontoast

Oct 1, 2011
Visit site
If you are going to be changing a lot, find some speakers that suit your room, then get an amp that will get the best out of them. FWIW, I think you could do better than the ADM9's, but thats my opinion, sounded quite ordinary when I have heard them.

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi said:
mobill49 said:
Exactly...buy the ADMs and you don't have to worry about synergy!!

Where's the fun in that?! :rofl:

Think the fun should be in listening to the music...leaves more fun for other fun things to do..!! :cheers:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts