£ for £, $ for $ etc, is the Squeezebox Touch the.....

Gusboll

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
.....best hi-fi product of the last 30 years?

I'm 47 and I reckon it is!

Currently listening to: Wild Horses by Rolling Stones on Radio Paradise on SBT Internet Radio

matthewpiano

I know where you are coming from Gusboll. The Touch is such a thoroughly sorted product and it sounds superb. The user interface is better than any of the hi-fi maker's efforts apart from Soolos (Meridian) and Olive and it is so compact and un-imposing. Certainly I'd say it is one of the best hi-fi products and I wouldn't be without mine.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
I prefer the Apple TV/AE on a £ for £ basis, but I'd happily have a Squeezebox instead.

I'd probably prefer a Sonos set-up overall, but don't think its as good on the value front.

AlmaataKZ

Jan 7, 2009
Visit site
I think the Touch is excellent. Surprisingly, even if for the better, there have been no updates for so many years.

I would welcome a larger and higher rez screen with wider viewing angle (so it is easier to see across a room and so it looks a bit sharper). Other than that I cannot hink of any improvements I would wish for.

A built-in powerline network adapter maybe?

A matching set of wirelss active speakers. or some kind of built-in wireless transmitter?

A usb out?

An analog input? A digital input? so it can be used as a pre-amp.

A stereo subwoofer out? ;-)

Dreaming on...

T

the record spot

As a source item, it looks impressive. As an all-rounder, well, maybe less so. I like the one-box xolutions that have come out in recent years - Aura's Note, the more recent Melody range from Marantz and of course, the Onkyo I use and, indeed, the recently acquired PS3. All that said, the SBT looks like decent value for money for under £200. Then again, it's main advantage appears to be gapless playback over the (for example) Onkyo. For my needs, the Onkyo was the way to go. For others, especially those who listen to a lot of classical music, the SBT is a better proposition with a separate amp (or straight into suitably equipped actives).

nads

the record spot said:
As a source item, it looks impressive. As an all-rounder, well, maybe less so. I like the one-box xolutions that have come out in recent years - Aura's Note, the more recent Melody range from Marantz and of course, the Onkyo I use and, indeed, the recently acquired PS3. All that said, the SBT looks like decent value for money for under £200. Then again, it's main advantage appears to be gapless playback over the (for example) Onkyo. For my needs, the Onkyo was the way to go. For others, especially those who listen to a lot of classical music, the SBT is a better proposition with a separate amp (or straight into suitably equipped actives).
Interesting assumption. Hardly listen to classical. Not too bothered with gapless. Just find it easy to use. Sounds great as is.

T

the record spot

I can say the same about the 8050 in that case really. Chances are at some point I'll upgrade to one of Onkyo's Spotify equipped AV amps, they've been well reviewed in several mags, would let me benefit from the DSD stream for such discs and SACDs, listen to HD Master Audio tracks and make biamping easy without having multiple boxes.

darrenconnor4

May 2, 2009
Visit site
A couple of ad hoc questions which I'm sure will sound stupid but please entertain me.....

Whats the sound quality really like? Does it have an inboard dac? Can I literally just plug it into my external hd full of music and away I go? Can I use my mac formatted drive or will it need re-formatting?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I've been looking into a dac really as when I go from cd to iPod (with lossless) on my system I can really hear the drop in quality, or at least I think I can.

Thanks.

nads

darrenconnor4 said:
A couple of ad hoc questions which I'm sure will sound stupid but please entertain me.....

Whats the sound quality really like? Does it have an inboard dac? Can I literally just plug it into my external hd full of music and away I go? Can I use my mac formatted drive or will it need re-formatting?

Sorry to hijack the thread but I've been looking into a dac really as when I go from cd to iPod (with lossless) on my system I can really hear the drop in quality, or at least I think I can.

Thanks.
Yes good enough for many. I sold the DacMagic as it did not improve anything. I feel a 500 quid DAC. May make a noticeable improvement but I am not spending that money.

Dont see why not but not all hard drives work. And really need to be powered.

Running the software on a NAS is easy enough and it does not need to be near anything.

Gazzip

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I have a fairly good system IMHO and, having tried some very expensive alternatives, the SBT is unbeatable for sound quality and usability. Running the SBT through my Bryston DAC does make a difference over the inbuilt SBT DAC, but it is not night and day. Running with iPeng on the iPad I cannot imagine a better streamer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts