ZUNE 80 (US MODEL) - review

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
I have owned a number of iPods over the years, in fact a 2nd, 4th and 6th generation one.
However, I have also never owned one that didnt need to go back for repair at least once in its lifetime.
The final straw was when my shiny new 6th generation 80Gig iPod Classic was unable to play half of my MP3 collection because of the skipping issue:These were MP3's that had worked fine on all their older generation units.
I dont know if they fixed that issue, and frankly I dont care..the bridges are burned.
What was I to do?
The only realistic alternative was the Zune80 - which you still cannot officially buy in Europe, and more worringly had no WhatHiFi review (reviews which I trust 99% every time).
I asked a friend who was travelling to get one for me at an American airport and I have never looked back.

Firstly, when I bought it the Zune was €100 cheaper than its Apple counterpart - always a good start.
Most importantly though it sounds better than all the Aplles up to and including the 6th generation.
There are no equaliser settings...but you simply don't need them.
I am, of course, not using the supplied headphones, just as I wouldnt if I was an Apple owner.
The Zune is also lighter in weight, has a larger sceen, includes .g wireless, and an FM radio.
You can also pair it with your XBOX360, and either stream to it via the Zune...or..replace the music played during games with your own collection.

I have not heard any other Zune, so please dont consider this as a wide approval.
However, if you are in the USA/Canada - or know someone who is - and need a new portable, dont pass the opportunity by!
It is surprising we havent all seen it in the spotlight, because essentially it makes the Apple Clasic - its main rival, seem pretty amateur.

idc

Nice one, I'm all for a bit of competition to make products better. And Microsoft is a company to take on Apple. Sorry you had reliability problems with your ipods, mine have been totally reliable. A quick check on Amazon UK and Zunes are available, the 30gb for £200 and 8gb for £150, which is more than an ipod. It also looks very like an ipod...............

31prKh87X7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

..........but that is not necessarily a bad thing. The Amazon customer reviews are very mixed with one 1 star and one 5 star. Do you know if it will it connect with the likes of a Bose Sounddock?

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Hi ..
Yes, I also saw that MS had raised their prices since I purchased mine....must have been right time right place.
I have only ever heard the 80Zune, which I think is also alater generation than the ones you can buy in Europe...so wouldnt like to comment on the others.
and.. I doubt very much it will go in the Bose dock....most manufacturers just think of Ipods :-(

A

Anonymous

Zunes can be bought in theUK I am going for the 120gb version as it states it can do gapless playback. The only issue is that it is with WMA files only.Its a feature I have missed since them doughnuts at sony dropped ATRAC which done gapless perfectly.

the web site is zune things and they do docks and video out cables etc plus other accessories.

Have you tried out gapless yourself Kjelly????

idc

Itunes does gapless to; highlight the tracks you want to be gapless, right click, select options, and then select yes in the drop down box gapless album.

Is there anything Zune can do that ipod can't and vice versa?

kjelly

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
Maybe Ill go gapless one day. But it took 8 months to get my cd collection digitalised, and I still havent started the vinyl. I am not sure I can face going through all those CD's again just at the moment :)

Zune 80 differences:
larger screen
doesnt mind what engine you used to digitalise your music (The 6th gen ipod skips VBR lame, for example)
Has Wifi built in....for synching, sharing, swapping files, and streaming to XBOX360.
A patch is being made to make it DLNA ready
Its lighter,
Sounds better (my opinion)
Has built in FM radio

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts