Zappa & Beefheart

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
anyone else reckon these 2 are totally underated, listen to watermelon in easter hay on guitar live album from zappa, he can play the guitar like a mofo riot lol*biggrin*

captain beefheart was a total one off too

insider9

Not my area of expertise. Zappa somehow eluded me and I don't know Captain Beefheart at all. Could you please recommend where I should start? Ideally studio albums (not compilations), not individual tracks either.Thanks

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
insider9 said:
Not my area of expertise. Zappa somehow eluded me and I don't know Captain Beefheart at all. Could you please recommend where I should start? Ideally studio albums (not compilations), not individual tracks either.Thanks

Zappa: ‘One Size Fits All’.

If you don’t like him after that then don’t bother.

jimmy1

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
captain beefheart- mirror man sessions is probably the best album if you dont know beefheart.

zappa is really weird if you picked and album out of a hat it might be shite lol but he got loads of good music too he was just really busy

one size fits all and overnite sensation are probably the easiest listen with zappa but its hard to say cos he did so much mad **** aswell.

but its really different if you not heard it before give it a go

insider9

I've only had a brief listen to one track (Zappa) on the way back from gym. Wife told me to switch it off. That's a good sign :)

Impressions... it sounded like wacky, very Jazzy, Prog Rock with Joni Mitchell like vocals and Jaco Pastorious like bass. If the rest is anything like it then I'm in.

jimmy1 said:
captain beefheart- mirror man sessions is probably the best album if you dont know beefheart.

zappa is really weird if you picked and album out of a hat it might be shite lol but he got loads of good music too he was just really busy

one size fits all and overnite sensation are probably the easiest listen with zappa but its hard to say cos he did so much mad **** aswell.

but its really different if you not heard it before give it a go

Can I mention all of Hot Rats? Likewise with Beefhearts Trout Mask Replica

insider9

Just finished "One Size Fits All" :) Feels like my kind of music.

It's so much fun. So glad people can treat music with distance and sense of humour. I only wish I discovered Zappa sooner.

I'm very grateful for this thread. Thanks Jimmy for the thread and Chebby for album recommendation.

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I've been a Beefheart obsessive since I was in my teens - Clear Spot is a good starting point album - wise, it has the utterly colossal 'Big Eyed Beans from Venus' on it a song which has had a massive influence on me for sure. I've never quite 'got' Zappa I've always felt he was trying too hard to be weird....

johnnyboy1950

May 27, 2013
Visit site
The Captains last two albums were a return to form, Ice Cream For Crow, and Doc At The Radar Station. Lets be clear about beefheart he is a one off. His lyrics are genuinely extrordinary. He uses 2 lead guitarists but not in a Thin Lizzy style. No pedal effects just 2 players scratching and picking for attention. these 2 albums are probably the best SQ wise. I love him but only 1 album at the time.

John Peel said he was the only genius in rock music.

Dont Know much of Zappa's work but he did produce Beefheart's Trout Mask Replica.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts