Z7 amplifier load

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I am changing my speakers to a package which are rated at 4ohms
Do I keep my Z7 at 8ohms or change it to the 6ohm setting

I read an Americam review of the Z7 which sugested that it should always be kept a 8ohms

I find this subject confusing but realise that getting it wrong can damage either the Speakers or the amp , and also the performance ,as a lower ohm setting seems to relate to a higher power output from the amp

Hopefully you guys are more clued up than I am
Regards
Andy

lesmor:

I am changing my speakers to a package which are rated at 4ohms
Do I keep my Z7 at 8ohms or change it to the 6ohm setting

I read an Americam review of the Z7 which sugested that it should always be kept a 8ohms

I find this subject confusing but realise that getting it wrong can damage either the Speakers or the amp , and also the performance ,as a lower ohm setting seems to relate to a higher power output from the amp

Hopefully you guys are more clued up than I am
Regards
Andy

Hi Andy

I have left the setting at 8ohms with all the Yamaha's that i have used (including the DSP-Z7). This is irrespective of impedence or the efficiency of the speakers that i have used them with.

However to be on the safe side i will advise you (and anyone else) if you are not sure to please double check (before proceeding) with your dealer, Yamaha and the speaker manufacturer.

Have a Happy New Year.
emotion-1.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
Because a 4ohm speaker's demands on an amplifier are far higher than that of 8ohm ones, the amplifier will limit the max current output when switched to the 6 or 4 ohm setting just in case the speakers demand a little too much. The only drawback with this is that the amplifier won't quite sound as dynamic as it should do because it is being limited. I'm running my Yamaha in the normal 8ohm mode with my 4ohm MK's.

For the average volume levels this isn't an issue anyway.

Which speakers are you looking at purchasing?

A

Anonymous

FrankHarveyHiFi:

Because a 4ohm speaker's demands on an amplifier are far higher than that of 8ohm ones, the amplifier will limit the max current output when switched to the 6 or 4 ohm setting just in case the speakers demand a little too much. The only drawback with this is that the amplifier won't quite sound as dynamic as it should do because it is being limited. I'm running my Yamaha in the normal 8ohm mode with my 4ohm MK's.

For the average volume levels this isn't an issue anyway.

Which speakers are you looking at purchasing?

I have had quotes and have now ordered a M&K package ,hence the concern about equipment damage

TRENDING THREADS