Your lottery win hi-fi.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.
A

Anonymous

With such a large fortune, I would build my own concert hall then I could invite and be able to afford any musician or group that I like, no hi fi system in the world could replace that.

A

Anonymous

mahler1:With such a large fortune, I would build my own concert hall then I could invite and be able to afford any musician or group that I like, no hi fi system in the world could replace that.

Okay, now that's just silly...it's the national lottery jackpot, not the 57th consecutive rollover of the Interuniverse Lottery jackpot...

A

Anonymous

Well, thanks for the response! Sounds like a path that I'll tread at some point. I have a Revox B790 that my father used to use with his Quad kit. I haven't tried it yet as I don't have the space nor a cartridge for it. I was going to get the rest of my system sorted first. I've just had the 405 power amp rebuilt and will look to add a Conrad Johnson PV10 pre at some point too. Once done I might have a play! I'll open a thread when I do something with it!

A

Anonymous

igglebert:Revox B790 that my father used to use with his Quad kit.

emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif
emotion-3.gif

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
igglebert:the record spot:
Turntable: Garrard 501 from Loricraft Audio, SME V arm, Ortofon Kontrapunkt C cartridge, or one of the Koetsus if I'm seriously flush!

I feel that I'm missing out by not having a clue what that means. I haven't got the basics right yet so TT is but a twinkle in the night sky. Do you think TTs are genuinely worth striving to get right given the way lossless music is heading?

Oh my!

Yes, yes, yes! (I say that despite being a daily user of lossless music replayed from a computer and a DAC.)

Even LPs played on me ever so 'umble Rega P2 is a completely different experience than digital music (whichever way you like your bits delivered).

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
I'd convert my shed at the bottom of the garden to a perfectly proportioned listening room (away from the missus and little 'un so my listening doesn't get interuppted by Scooby Doo), with an annex off of it to hold all my vinyl (this will increase rapidly with the lottery cash).

T

the record spot

igglebert:Well, thanks for the response! Sounds like a path that I'll tread at some point. I have a Revox B790 that my father used to use with his Quad kit. I haven't tried it yet as I don't have the space nor a cartridge for it. I was going to get the rest of my system sorted first. I've just had the 405 power amp rebuilt and will look to add a Conrad Johnson PV10 pre at some point too. Once done I might have a play! I'll open a thread when I do something with it!

Revox B790 eh? You kept that quiet!

Revox_b790.jpg

A

Anonymous

Revox B790 - Parallel Tracking heaven (but looks like a kitchen appliance, sadly.)

A

Anonymous

idc:
images

images

Ipod 120gb; £160. A Krell KID ipod dock; £1350. B&W 805S speakers; £1600. Partington Dreadnought stands £300. Kimber Monocle speaker cable (8 feet); £1419. Russ Andrews Mains Block with silencer and cable and mains unit ; £1330. Total; £6159.

A room 20' by 20' with a view of Arran, near to the Amazon distribution centre in Gourock, so that day delivery of CDs. Itunes full of losslessly imported CDs. Lots of books. Estimate; £500,000.

Hours of pleasure... Priceless.

A

Anonymous

the record spot:igglebert:Well, thanks for the response! Sounds like a path that I'll tread at some point. I have a Revox B790 that my father used to use with his Quad kit. I haven't tried it yet as I don't have the space nor a cartridge for it. I was going to get the rest of my system sorted first. I've just had the 405 power amp rebuilt and will look to add a Conrad Johnson PV10 pre at some point too. Once done I might have a play! I'll open a thread when I do something with it!

Revox B790 eh? You kept that quiet!

Revox_b790.jpg

Yeeeaahh. I haven't got the room for it at all, in fact, I haven't got the room for my Quad either but I've shoved that next to my rack. I've been spending the last year or so hoarding vinyl from charity shops so that if and when I resurrect the Revox I have something to play with. Can't wait to try Dark Side of the Moon
emotion-2.gif

idc

fast eddie:idc:

images

images

Ipod 120gb; £160. A Krell KID ipod dock; £1350. B&W 805S speakers; £1600. Partington Dreadnought stands £300. Kimber Monocle speaker cable (8 feet); £1419. Russ Andrews Mains Block with silencer and cable and mains unit ; £1330. Total; £6159.

A room 20' by 20' with a view of Arran, near to the Amazon distribution centre in Gourock, so that day delivery of CDs. Itunes full of losslessly imported CDs. Lots of books. Estimate; £500,000.

Hours of pleasure... Priceless.

Yeh! Its about being completely comfortable where you want to be. I know of someone with a dedicated listening room with a view to die for and you could loose yourself in a £100 midi system...but more £££££s would be better. Then diminishing marginal utility kicks in and no matter how expensive the set up you need the place and space.

john dolan

Dec 20, 2008
Visit site
Must say im surprised some here don't know what a good turntable is capable of.Look at my sig i have a brand new 3 grand cyrus cd system with £400 worth of cables connecting it to the preamp and my old garrard 401 destroys it.

A

Anonymous

I'd get an RLA type sound system built. RLA = Richard Long Audio, he did the sound at NY clubs like Paradise Garage, Studio 54 etc... Hanging tweeters the lot!

A

Anonymous

I would either give most of it away to charity, or invest it in business ventures in 3rd world countries.

I'm uncomfortable with spending a huge amount on hi-fi, particularly when most of the albums I have would have been recorded for far less than the cost of most high-end components.

How can you justify it?

Maybe spend 3000 on a Naim system. That should be enough to let you enjoy music without the guilt..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts