Your hi-fi cost as a percentage of the cost of your home

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Over the years I've seen various debates and recommendations on how much you should spend on the source / amp / speakers / cables as percentage of your budget.

What I've never seen is any discussion of how much you should, or how much you have spent, on your hi-fi as a percentage of how much you spent on your home.

I don't think that there's any fixed percentage at all that I'd recommend - apart from spending as little as you can to get the home and the hi-fi that you want.

But looking at my main system. That cost about 10% of what I paid for my house.
If I include the main system, the bedroom system, the TV / Cinema system, the kitchen system it comes to about 17% of the cost of my house.

That's just the initial price of the house. If I add in what I've spent doing up the house and factor in the value of my time doing it up, my main system cost me about 5% of what I've spent on my house in total.

It's fair to say that I'm into hi-fi in a big way. I also live in a part of the country where property prices aren't too bad.

So, how much have you spent on your hi-fi as a percentage of what you spent on your home?
(no obligation to answer this if you want to keep it confidential).

TazLondon

Nov 2, 2014
Visit site
Interesting question.

15 or so years ago I would say that the system (all A/V equipment) I had cost around 15% of the value of my then London home - but I did buy that house at a cost of just 20% of the value of my current house!

Now all the A/V equipment in my house represents around 0.8% of the value of my current house.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Around 4-5% if I count all the gear I have. If I count the MSRP and adjust for inflation for the oldies I own I'm much closer to Taz's 20%. I love the VFM from 90's German nonexotica.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Not sure I understand the meaning of this thread or how it could reveal anything of interest. Is it a question about how much people budget for their hi-fi? If so, why not just ask how much the hifi cost? Or if it's about how much of their resources people allocate to hifi, wouldn't it be more rational to ask about income rather than property values/prices, especially given that property prices vary so hugely?

In any case, are many people likely to answer honestly? There's no way I would!

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
You house is probably full of many things that may have cost more than your hifi e.g. a posh dining table and chairs or a bed. Irrespective of the value of my home I would still set my hifi aspirations in the "modest" price range... I wouldn't spend more than 2K max on a stereo setup. Probably ;)

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
drummerman said:
I rent.

Can I still play? :)

regards

I rented for 13 years. It never stopped me from playing.
2r3v348.gif

Andrew17321

Nov 12, 2008
Visit site
What would be much more illuminating for us would be to work out how much per hour it costs us for serious music listening and active TV watching.

As my music and AV systems are interlinked I have considered them together. Estimating my spend on AV and audio equipment, and on media (CDs, DVDs), over the last 10 years to be £1500 per year on average, that works out approximately to 70p per person, per hour of serious listening to music or watching TV. (Background music comes free!)

This strikes me as astonishingly little. I was at a Martin Roscoe piano recital on Thursday night, ticket cost £14 and I had a 36 mile drive; last night I listened to 3 hours of Roscoe's music from CD at home, cost £2.10. Mind you, the live performance was outstanding and well worth the money.

(Arcam AV system, Spendor speakers, Sonos, Rega DAC and lots of other bits and pieces.)

Andrew

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
Probably a little over 1% and I live in a very small 2 bedroom apartment.

Tokyo property prices and all that.

What about as a % of the cost of your property per square metre?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts