Your first vinyl record?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
My first LP was Pinl Floyd Dark side of the Moon , bought in Chappell of Bond Street .

It was closely followed by Focus 3, a double LP by Dutch prog rock masters Focus .

My grandfather Matthew Ricketts was the chairman of Chapell and he once took me on a tour of the place, they had a small recording studio there which I was facinated by, I can clearly remember having 'sibilance' explained to me and how they were trying to control it.

They also were experimenting with some sort of weird photographic imaging machines using some sort of celluloid sheets but I can't remenber what they were called.

mond

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I think it was Rivers of Babylon / Brown girl in the ring by Boney M - but soon followed by Germ Free Adolescence by X-Ray Spex , arguably the cooler of the two :)

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Single was 'I Want You', one of Dylans poorer releases in an era of otherwise exceptional recordings. A real silver lining though, the best version of 'Just like Tom Thumps Blues' on the B Side. One of my favourite songs ever and this particular live version is absolutely awesome and very rare, not to be found on any album that I have been able to find. It is on the 'Masterpieces' album, a far east release on vinyl only, but I have never laid hands or eyes on a copy.

Albums, bought at the same time as the above single, were James Brown, 'This is a mans world' and 'Plays new Breed', the second a largely instrumental album, with Brown on Hammond organ. This was late '66, the only other record I had was a Stax sampler 'Solid Gold Soul', borowed from a cool kid at school who didn't need it back as he had bought all the albums that had songs featured!

I was impressed enough to get tickets for the Stax tour the following year, The only time I got to see Otis Reading, though my favourites on the night were sam and Dave.

calpark46

Jan 19, 2009
Visit site
The replies seem to either show amazing maturity from young music lovers, eg Pink Floyd, Bob Dylan, etc etc, or can now be viewed light heartedly with the passage of time. Not sure what my first LP says about me - The History of Rock n Roll by Gary Glitter?!?

My taste in both music & people has improved since the 1970s. Honest!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts