Your Favourite CDs

idc

This is my desert island disc list........................................

512G14A2WXL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
11ARJPGDFTL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
41F41A1M5BL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

41WKTQQFWQL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
411-dv%2BtvYL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

...but it is more a representation of the types of music listen to the most.

A

Anonymous

Sublime bottom 6 Dave.

Fleetwood Mac - Rumours and Tusk
Rush - Permanent Waves and Hemispheres
Tangerine Dream - Poland and Hyperborea
Tool - Lateralus and 10,000 Days
Pixies - all (bit of a cheat)
Bob Mould - Life and Times

A

Anonymous

You know, I've never seen the reason behind endless threads containing nothing but pictures of album covers - surely a simple list would suffice? Must take up a lot of hard disk space, or, if they're links, network bandwidth.

I don't have any particular favorites, by the way, except for Bach and Fado.

idc

Tarquinh:

You know, I've never seen the reason behind endless threads containing nothing but pictures of album covers - surely a simple list would suffice?

There is a big building in the centre of Paris called the Louvre. Have a look around and imaging if they took away all the pictures and just had the plaques on the wall.........................
emotion-14.gif

A

Anonymous

idc:Tarquinh:
You know, I've never seen the reason behind endless threads containing nothing but pictures of album covers - surely a simple list would suffice?

There is a big building in the centre of Paris called the Louvre. Have a look around and imaging if they took away all the pictures and just had the plaques on the wall.........................
emotion-14.gif

a) CD covers are often less than works of art

b) I buy CDs to listen to them, not read the covers

c) I don't go to the Louvre to listen to the paintings!

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Tarquinh:idc:Tarquinh:

emotion-14.gif

a) And often they are - Some of the covers Big Chris posts are amazing

b) Personally I find I get more out of a CD if i can see who the musicians are / lyrics

c) Doesn't art talk to you...

Oh well each to his own....
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

kena:Tarquinh:idc:Tarquinh:

emotion-14.gif

b) Personally I find I get more out of a CD if i can see who the musicians are / lyrics

emotion-1.gif

a) Some LP covers strayed into art, I fully agree

b) Are you sure you mean CDs and not DVDs

c) Come on! Let's not stretch things too far.

Actually, I was commenting more on the analogy than anything else. I do find it sad though that people need pictures for everything where words could suffice these days. Roll on the Jane Austen BDs
emotion-1.gif

kena

May 28, 2008
Visit site
Just realised never put up picture of my choice , so for Tarquinh
emotion-2.gif

Be Bop Deluxe Futurama - A masterpiece..

The Sound - From the Lion's Mouth .. Another classic band

Oh I did mean CD's , being able to read the lyrics helps where they sometimes can be a bit unintelligible

A

Anonymous

mine are grace jones nightclubbing,,paul young .no parlez joe cocker sheffield steel and quincy jones the dude is my fav lps

idc

Tarquinh:kena:Tarquinh:idc:Tarquinh:

emotion-14.gif

emotion-1.gif

a) Some LP covers strayed into art, I fully agree

b) Are you sure you mean CDs and not DVDs

c) Come on! Let's not stretch things too far.

Actually, I was commenting more on the analogy than anything else. I do find it sad though that people need pictures for everything where words could suffice these days. Roll on the Jane Austen BDs
emotion-1.gif

Sorry Matthew
3619948479_4f3523819a_m.jpg
. In the National Gallery in London the late great Willie Rushdon made up his own plaque and when no one was looking he stuck it on the wall next to a socket. It now appeared that the socket was one of the works of art. This rouse was discovered when one of the cleaners complained that there was no longer a socket she could use to plug in the floor cleaner in that room. She had had to get a very long extension cable instead!

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
idc:

This is my desert island disc list........................................

512G14A2WXL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
11ARJPGDFTL._SL160_AA115_.jpg
41F41A1M5BL._SL160_AA115_.jpg

I'd listen to the above 4 anytime.In fact I have been doing so for 36 years for 3 of them and all 4 still sound great on original vinyl
The Wall was the 3rd biggest selling album in the States and Zep 4 was the 4th biggest seller.I wonder if that still stands.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
Big Chris:If so, I'm guessing 'Thriller' & 'Bat Out Of Hell' took the top spots.

No, Eagles "Greatest Hits" was No 1 and "Thriller" at No 2. Whether its changed in the last few years i'm not sure. "Bat" was above them in world sales and also an AC/DC album. Personally I dont think compilation albums should count.
The Floyd and Zep albums sold over 20 million in the USA. Not bad going for music that was hardly ever played on the radio in the UK in the 70s.

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Lost Angeles:

Big Chris:If so, I'm guessing 'Thriller' & 'Bat Out Of Hell' took the top spots.

No, Eagles "Greatest Hits" was No 1 and "Thriller" at No 2. Whether its changed in the last few years i'm not sure. "Bat" was above them in world sales and also an AC/DC album. Personally I dont think compilation albums should count.
The Floyd and Zep albums sold over 20 million in the USA. Not bad going for music that was hardly ever played on the radio in the UK in the 70s.

"Thriller" and "Greatest Hits" seemed to be constantly changing places for the top two spots for quite some time. However, "Thriller" is on top at the moment and I suspect it will stay that way. Last I heard was that AC/DC`s "Back In Black" had actually moved into the no.2 spot! For me this is quite an achievement and tells everyone what I knew all along that yes indeed, people do actually like heavy rock music! Well I never.

I agree with you Lost that compilations shouldn`t be included. What I would say is that although it`s a compilation, The Eagles GH 1971-5 has done incredibly well to stay at or near the top and give "Thriller" a good run for it`s money for such a long time. Especially when you consider that it only has ten songs and doesn`t include anything from Hotel California. There has been a number of other compilations released by the Eagles (three I can think of) and I imagine that the combined sales of these along with GH1971-75 would easily outstrip "Thriller". Still, as you say compilations shouldn`t really count anyway.

Must admit that it would make my day if AC/DC were to one day top Michael Jackson. When you consider all the publicity and hit singles "Thriller" has had compared to "Back In Black" it really would be quite something. Mind you, I dare say that if AC/DC were to ever get uncomfortably close then MJ would probably fake near death, get married, have an operation or nearly drop a couple of babies (from balconies!) or something similiar for a bit more publicity which should save the day.

A

Anonymous

Well..... I think MJ will get a bit more exposure after today's tragic news... and no faking it either!

I'd love to see ACDC on top too but I don't actually think it's their best album.... prefer the Bon Scott era stuff!

Anyhow back on topic, my current fave cd's in no particular order are :

Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions
Whitesnake - Come an' Get It
Theorey of a Deadman - Scars and Souvenirs
The Mission - God's Own Medicine
Ann Wilson - Hope & Glory

survivor

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Volcane:Well..... I think MJ will get a bit more exposure after today's tragic news... and no faking it either! I'd love to see ACDC on top too but I don't actually think it's their best album.... prefer the Bon Scott era stuff! Anyhow back on topic, my current fave cd's in no particular order are : Sheryl Crow - The Globe Sessions Whitesnake - Come an' Get It Theorey of a Deadman - Scars and Souvenirs The Mission - God's Own Medicine Ann Wilson - Hope & Glory

Blimey yeah, I timed that well didn`t I! Oh dear.

Agree with you strongly that the Bon Scott albums are the best! I`d be even happier if it was `Highway To Hell` at no.2.

Could you please do me a short review of the Ann Wilson album? I`ve been a big Heart fan in my time and this is one I knew of some time ago but forgot about. Cheers.

A

Anonymous

Ann Wilson - Hope & Glory

First of all it doesn't sound or feel like a solo album when nine of the 12 songs are duets with other artists and three of those songs are with her sister, Nancy.

First Thoughts... When I looked at the track list for Hope & Glory my first thought was, "Oh, great, a covers album," since all but one of the songs were written and recorded by other famous folk back in the day.

The next thing that struck me was the curious musical mixture. Here were the songs of Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin and Creedence Clearwater Revival alongside those of Jesse Colin Young, Bob Dylan, and Lucinda Williams. Here was a duet with Elton John, then one with Allison Krauss.

But for the most part, the songs and her interpretations lend themselves well to her distinctive brand of blues rock and power ballads, one exception being on the opening verse of John Lennon's "Isolation" where she sounds somewhat off-key.

To my ears the best track is Elton John-Bernie Taupin's "Where To Now St. Peter." She would have shone even brighter without Sir Elton's vocal contribution. He just can't keep up with Ann Wilson in full tilt rock mode and would have preferred it to be sung by herself as I'm not particualary a fan of Sir Elton. The fact that I like this song best off the cd then speaks volumes for it's quality.

Overall, and with Nancy Wilson on three of the tracks, it is nothing more (but nothing less) than a thinly veiled Heart album. But it's bl00dy a good one!

SteveR750

@ daveh - Have you ever listened to an album called Scenery by Paper Bubble, two of whom ended up in the Strawbs.

In no particular order:

1. Highway to Hell

2. Hipsway

3. The Final Cut

4. I do Not Want What I Cannot Have

5. Boomer's Story

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts