Your favorite integrated amp(s) under £2000? Why?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
My current Creek 5350 amp.

Why? Besides sounding bloody great, I picked it up new for half the RRP price. That sort of deal always makes things sound sweeter.

stevebrock said:
Al ears said:
stevebrock said:
Yes Al

im looking for a nice SS for my bro

I see. What sort of outlay are you looking at?

Surely the Electro amp would be a good buy for someone as I don't expect to have to service my amps that regularly?

Told him the used Electro is a better buy than a Nait 5si / Exposure 2010 / Rega Elex

So it should be given the new retail price of EC1-3 is around £2300, while the 5si is £1000, 2010 is about £600 and the Elex is £900.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
stevebrock said:
Al ears said:
stevebrock said:
Yes Al

im looking for a nice SS for my bro

I see. What sort of outlay are you looking at?

Surely the Electro amp would be a good buy for someone as I don't expect to have to service my amps that regularly?

Told him the used Electro is a better buy than a Nait 5si / Exposure 2010 / Rega Elex

So it should be given the new retail price of EC1-3 is around £2300, while the 5si is £1000, 2010 is about £600 and the Elex is £900.

PP - read back - the Electro ive found is £999 used - so at its price point is a steal

matthewpiano

Seeing as we seem to be including older models as well as current ones, my list would look something like this:

Pioneer A400

Marantz PM66SE

Creek 4330R

Exposure 1010

Naim Nait 3 (yes really!)

Rega Brio-R

Creek Destiny 2

Sugden Mystro

Sugden A21a

Arcam A38

Rega Elicit-R

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Icon Audio ST40

Electro ECI-3

Sugden A21

Pathos Classic one

Not sure if I was ignorant ot not - but as soon as I heard the ST40 i knew it was the amp for me,shoudl I of demoed other valve amps? Maybe!! After the Elciit saga I did get a Creek Destiny and Primare i30 on home demo and they were both superb amps, but the ST40 just did it for me!

I smiled when I saw it on Cno's list.

Love my system now - everyting is just so.....well....engaging, the Kudos have just topped it all off.

that is all

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
stevebrock said:
CnoEvil said:
Icon Audio ST40

Electro ECI-3

Sugden A21

Pathos Classic one

Not sure if I was ignorant ot not - but as soon as I heard the ST40 i knew it was the amp for me,shoudl I of demoed other valve amps? Maybe!! After the Elciit saga I did get a Creek Destiny and Primare i30 on home demo and they were both superb amps, but the ST40 just did it for me!

I smiled when I saw it on Cno's list.

Love my system now - everyting is just so.....well....engaging, the Kudos have just topped it all off.

that is all

you are getting away from Rega, don't run to much... :shifty:

was having a conversation the other day with my Rega dealer about the replacement of Rega DAC and after demo the New Saturn R.

Rega make wonderful sources, CD players, TT and Rega DAc for the price you can get better if you like analogue sounding DAC, or digital sources.

Thats way it's so difficult for me to up grade my DAC, until now...

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Unison Research Unico Secondo. Hybrid design that delivers a lovely combination of valve sweetness and solid state power... the proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove.

matthewpiano

hifikrazy said:
Unison Research Unico Secondo. Hybrid design that delivers a lovely combination of valve sweetness and solid state power... the proverbial iron fist in a velvet glove.

I reckon I would love that going on your description. Actually the other Unison Research kit I've heard has bwwn fabulous.

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
hifikrazy said:

I had one in home demo the Unico Nuovo, it is a killer amp, just got the Pathos because it was a ex demo and at a price that only happens once in a life time... :cheer:

Hi-FiOutlaw

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Icon Audio ST40

Electro ECI-3

Sugden A21

Pathos Classic one

yes Pathos is a great sounding amp, love mine!

Detailed, never edgy, wonderful imaging ( the dyns top of ) great bass control, power is always avaiable, smoth and silky mid and upper treble, a joy that i can listen for hours. 8)

MrReaper182

Apr 6, 2014
Visit site
My 90's sony 808es amplifier. I picked it up in mint condition for about 360 quid. Everything I play though it sounds crystal clear with amazing detail and no matter how fast or extreme the music gets it keeps up with the music very well indeed. I also really love the look of the 808es. If anyone finds one in good condition going for a reasonable price you should have a listen if you can.

hifikrazy

Aug 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi-FiOutlaw said:
hifikrazy said:

I had one in home demo the Unico Nuovo, it is a killer amp, just got the Pathos because it was a ex demo and at a price that only happens once in a life time... :cheer:

Just spotted a demo unit Pathos Ethos going for the equivalent of GBP1850. If I was still using an integrated amplifier, I would certainly be giving that serious thought. Sounds like a lovely amp:

http://www.whathifi.com/review/pathos-ethos

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I love my Arcam A38 - it recevied loads of praise when it was launched but as with most hifi it soon goes quiet on news and recommendations as other manufacturers release newer kit.

I have heard a handful of integrateds (naim, marantz, cyrus, cambridge audio, linn) at this price range (albeit note i purchased early on at £1100 when it was being discounted - now its more like £1600 - the price of a lot of hifi i note has gone up significantly over the last 3/4 years on amps and speakers especially - even for the same models) .

Anyway the Arcam is the 3rd amp by the company i have owned (A32 and A70 before) and this one is by far my favourite. Still has the comfortable sound of Arcam (i just dont like overly bright amps - Cyrus and Cambridge Audio) but this Arcam has more sparkle and clarity than the older A32 had and has amazing bass depth. One of its major pluses is its soundstage presentation and its depth and solidity of bass. Also i just like the style of it (in black) and the green display too.

I also separately bought an old style smaller black Arcam remote control to use with it and the cd - sad but true.

If i were to go buying an integrated amp now with the same money i still think i would end up with the Arcam, it just suits me sir. The Naim is another one i like, i felt it ran the Arcam close but the soundstage was more expansive with the Arcam and a bit more closed in on the Naim - still the latter has great rhythm. I do think the all in one Naim systems are great value though and may have been a viable alternative if i went into hifi from cold right now.

I love my set up - have done for 3 years with no sign of changing. The new Arcam dac is a new item and is superb too and i am a big fan of all the Neat Motive speakers. Certainly other set ups will match what i have, but i cant say for my taste i have heard any better. The one amp i have always wanted to try is Unico Research - i just have never had a local stockist to hear one.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
crusaderlord said:
I love my Arcam A38 - it recevied loads of praise when it was launched but as with most hifi it soon goes quiet on news and recommendations as other manufacturers release newer kit.

As an Arcam lover, you should, if the chance presents itself, try the Electro ECI-3, as I think you'd get on with it.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I don't have any favourite as such. Two years with a Nait 5i was pretty good but I wouldn't do it again.

Near the top of my "must listen to one if I could ever afford to" list is the Sugden A21 and it would probably have to be with Harbeth P3ESRs. (A class A Accuphase amplifier with slot in DAC module is way beyond the budget in the title.)

Beyond that I have no interest in seperates. I suspect there is only a 'wafer' of difference between most £1000 - £2000 solid state class B amps unless they are deliberately 'voiced' to deviate from a straight line within audible thresholds.

TRENDING THREADS