Your Dream Music System

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
WishTree said:
It would be a fully active version of Vivid Audio G3/G4 or may be a G5. Till the time Vivid makes it, I think I am very happy with my current set up!

There were rumours last year that Vivid were working on active versions of their speakers using Devialet amplification, which might well have been the best active speakers ever. However, the trail seems to have gone cold, and the word from Devialet is that they're not interested in the project.

Matt

WishTree

May 18, 2010
Visit site
matt49 said:
There were rumours last year that Vivid were working on active versions of their speakers using Devialet amplification, which might well have been the best active speakers ever. However, the trail seems to have gone cold, and the word from Devialet is that they're not interested in the project.

Matt

Matt, I saw that too and I thought.. FINALLY! But what I understand is that the design is more of active cross over and individual amps connected to them rather than custom bulit amps for a particular frequency range / driver. I read else where that some one got Laurennce to design similar active cross over to work with Naim amplification for his G2.

I am more intersted in the custom built-in amps like Beolabs or zero one which I think would be more efficent wrto pricing, energy consumption, bulk and box count.

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
A dream system means by extension a dream listening room, I guess, in which case my listening room would be big enough to do justice to some big electrostatics like QUAD 2912s, driven by a top-notch valve amp - I am thinking David Berning here - and a suitably sophisticated front end, a spinner of silver discs in my case, so a dCS Puccini.

In truth, though, a lottery win tomorrow wouldn't see me moving house particularly soon; nor would I want to give up my current oasis of tranquility - my study at the top of the house, which is a lovely place to listen to music but presents several challenges in terms of speak choice and placement - hence my very compact speakers as below. So I would want a top notch pair of compact speakers that would hopefully work well in my room - and they don't get much more lovely than Audiosmile's Kensai, pictured below with the matching Advantage stand/ sub / power amp that I would want to home audition at least. Then I'd want a source with a touch of warmth to offset the slightly bright / light presentation of the Kensais, ideally with a volume control so as to avoid the need for extra boxes - the Bel Canto CD2 would be just the ticket I feel.

13285662655_31a4fbb6e7_m.jpg
13286028154_0c203c10f9_m.jpg
images
belcanto-cd2.jpg

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Having lived with Martin Logans for a few weeks now, I think my dream system would have to be built round electrostatics. Active ‘statics would be nice, but they’re like hen’s teeth. So it would be a pair of huge passive panels: ML CLX ARTs or Maggie 20.7s or similar. (Splendid though Quads are, listening needs to be sociable, and Quads have too small a sweet spot to be enjoyed by all the family.)

Since ‘statics don’t go very deep, I’d need a pair of subs, possibly Wilson Benesch Torus.

The system would be all digital, with DSP a necessity. Maybe a pair of Devialet 240s fed by a simple NAS drive? Or maybe a Trinnov room optimiser feeding some huge Class A Accuphase beasts.

Matt

Leeps

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
Maybe not quite what you had in mind, but I love Spotify so much for discovering oodles of lovely music in less-than-mainstream genres, that my dream system would be...

24/192 Spotify streaming into native Spotify Connect (so it doesnt eat my iPad battery life quite so ravenously) into a Naim Qute into a NAP100 into to Guru QM10 mk2's. Actually, the exact system is less of a concern. As long as it makes hi-res Spotify sound epic. And yes, I know such a thing doesn't exist yet.

No NAS or back-ups to faff with, no physical media cluttering the house, no hours spent ripping & tagging CD's, but just blissful hi-res any-music-you-want-on-demand Spotify! (He says as he listens to Beck's latest album, Morning Phase on Spotify).

You did say "dream" system! Might happen one day?

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
matt49 said:
Having lived with Martin Logans for a few weeks now, I think my dream system would have to be built round electrostatics. Active ‘statics would be nice, but they’re like hen’s teeth. So it would be a pair of huge passive panels: ML CLX ARTs or Maggie 20.7s or similar. (Splendid though Quads are, listening needs to be sociable, and Quads have too small a sweet spot to be enjoyed by all the family.)

Since ‘statics don’t go very deep, I’d need a pair of subs, possibly Wilson Benesch Torus.

The system would be all digital, with DSP a necessity. Maybe a pair of Devialet 240s fed by a simple NAS drive? Or maybe a Trinnov room optimiser feeding some huge Class A Accuphase beasts.

Matt

Matt ,

I think you might be interested in a pair of Electrostatics made by Roger Sanders formerly Innersound .

They are active electrostatics with an active transmission line sub integrated in to them !

I have heard a pair of the older Innersound Eros model and I have never before or since heard anything that does full scale classical music like they do. The newer models are supposed to be even better !

The power scale and dynamics combined with incredible clarity and detail was beyond belief ,they put you in the concert hall in the best seat .

Have a look below :)

http://www.sanderssoundsystems.com/products/electrostatic-speakers

Just wanted to add that they provide a 30 day free home trial service no matter where you are ;)

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
Electro said:
Matt ,

I think you might be interested in a pair of Electrostatics made by Roger Sanders formerly Innersound .

They are active electrostatics with an active transmission line sub integrated in to them !

I have heard a pair of the older Innersound Eros model and I have never before or since heard anything that does full scale classical music like they do. The newer models are supposed to be even better !

The power scale and dynamics combined with incredible clarity and detail was beyond belief ,they put you in the concert hall in the best seat .

Just wanted to add that they provide a 30 day free home trial service no matter where you are ;)

They look very impressive from a design point of view. I would very much like to hear them.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Electro said:
Matt ,

Electro, they look very interesting. I'm not a big fan of TL bass generally, but these look worth a try: maybe in five years time when the MLs are due for replacement.

You're absolutely right about the experience of electrostatics: nothing quite like it.

Matt

James7

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
Electro said:
matt49 said:

Matt

Matt ,

look very interesting indeed. I have never come across this brand but from a distance they look very impressive.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
James7 said:
look very interesting indeed. I have never come across this brand but from a distance they look very impressive.

They sound even more impressive :)

Roger Sanders invented the curved panel that the Martin Logan electrostatics use although he has gone back the the planar type panel for the reasons stated in the video contained in the link I posted .

Here is the video in case you missed it .

http://live.audiogon.com/events/the2008/vids/Sanders_room.html

If you ever get a chance to hear a pair I am sure you will be impressed :)

Here is more info .

http://www.stereomojo.com/Sanders%2010b%20Electrostactic%20Speakers%20Review/Sanders10bElectrostacticSpeakersReview.htm

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Gryphon electronics and loudspeakers installed by my wife...

also CD quality streaming service of every single piece of music ever released.

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Because the loudest I ever listen to music at home is with peaks at 95dbs at my listening position which equates to 105dbs at 1 metre from the speakers. That is party volume. Or quick blast volume. A volume which will leave my ears feeling a bit numb or ringing after a few minutes. Volumes in excess of this on a regular basis would be likely to permanently damage my hearing, which is not something I'd like to do.

I only need 2 watts to get this volume. Less is more in hi-fi, where you can get away with less. The vast majority of my listening is in the micro to milliwatt power range. An area that 45 based SET amps are particularly good at.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
lindsayt said:
Because the loudest I ever listen to music at home is with peaks at 95dbs at my listening position which equates to 105dbs at 1 metre from the speakers. That is party volume. Or quick blast volume. A volume which will leave my ears feeling a bit numb or ringing after a few minutes. Volumes in excess of this on a regular basis would be likely to permanently damage my hearing, which is not something I'd like to do.

I only need 2 watts to get this volume. Less is more in hi-fi, where you can get away with less. The vast majority of my listening is in the micro to milliwatt power range. An area that 45 based SET amps are particularly good at.

If that's what works for you then enjoy. :)

Personally I've found that about 30 watts is the minimum that I would be able to get away with for music in near field use with efficient speakers. I also like to listen from further away at higher volume levels occasionally so 50-100 watts is better for me. Having 100 watts of power also comes in handy for movies which have more dynamic range than music.

EvPa

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
A pair of these (ADAM Audio S7A Mk2):

M5hmhxVl.jpg

I even have enough space to place them!

Here's a video from this month's Musikmesse: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXqyNtkQJ4

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
EvPa said:
A pair of these (ADAM Audio S7A Mk2):

M5hmhxVl.jpg

I even have enough space to place them!

Here's a video from this month's Musikmesse: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbXqyNtkQJ4

On another thread I have been discussing big JBL's with Vladimir, I always used to have a second 'fun' system in addition to a 'proper' hi-fi.

Nowhere to put big JBLs even if I could find and afford such a thing, so now I would have these.......

mackie-hr824mk2-24579.jpg

The Mackie HR824-Series 2, not the most refined but massive ouput, no sub required and the ability to handle any house party. Active of course, 150 plus 100 watts rms, 8 in bass and a huge ABR taking up most of the back panel, under the amp pack.

Warn the neighbours....... :bounce:

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
no.. I've changed my mind.. I know how my system should sound and I haven't found it yet... so keep looking for the perfect bit

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts