You are the weakest link... goodbye!

Pretty bored with my CDP. It sounds fine but compared (this morning) to the tuner, playing Del Amitri's 'Kiss this thing goodbye', I whipped out the cd out and it lacked a little openness compared to the FM radio version.

A few weeks ago I spoke to Infidelity and the subject of DACs came up. They rate my CDP as transport but I've been bitten by this route before. Won't be happy to go down that path for a while.

So I'm thinking of s/hand Exposure 2010 or perhaps Rega Apollo or Saturn, although Rega is an unknown quantity to me apart from the occasional turntable.

Budget is fairly flexible but if I exceed £500 I won't be too happy.

Any suggestions welcome.

Cheers, pp

DIB

May 21, 2009
Visit site
I know you're a fan of the Creek Evo 2 amp, have you considered a 2nd hand Evo 2 CDP? Worked very well with the matching amp, I've no reason to think you wouldn't get good results with the Leema too.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Also, most of you guys pretty much know what I like and dislike.

Are you near Camberley?...

http://www.audiot.co.uk/products/rega-apollo-cd-player-4359.aspx

£329 Ex-Demo. Still in stock right now. (Just phoned them to check that.)

Full Audio-T warranty of course because it's ex-dem and not used (Basingstoke and Reading branches would support it after Camberley branch closes.)

I've had extensive experience of hearing the Rega Apollo with both Arcam/Focal and Primare/ATC systems - belonging to a friend - and demo experience of it in two all-Rega systems. Superb machine. Almost bought one (twice).

chebby said:
plastic penguin said:
Also, most of you guys pretty much know what I like and dislike.

Are you near Camberley?...

http://www.audiot.co.uk/products/rega-apollo-cd-player-4359.aspx

£329 Ex-Demo. Still in stock right now. (Just phoned them to check that.)

Full Audio-T warranty of course because it's ex-dem and not used (Basingstoke and Reading branches would support it after Camberley branch closes.)

I've had extensive experience of hearing the Rega Apollo with both Arcam/Focal and Primare/ATC systems - belonging to a friend - and demo experience of it in two all-Rega systems. Superb machine. Almost bought one (twice).

Nice one. Cheers, Chebby. Yeah Camberley is about a 40 min ride away, so very doable.

After I've had some lunch I'll give them a bell.

Or I could get my bro to go in. he lives in Camberley.

John Duncan said:
In case you hadn't thought of it, do you have room in your rack to open the (top-loading) lid?

Had thought of it, and yes I should. The big problem was when I had the Arcam - Mrs. P couldn't reach down too far if I was out. But with the Leema it's all remote control, including on/off switch. This is another reason why I didn't didn't buy the Roksan Kandy, Naim and Cyrus. They all have the on/off switches at the back.

The Creek had the remote on/off and Leema.

The CDP is on the middle shelf, as you'll see from the pics I'll post soon. :pray:

Life is always a compromise.

BenLaw

Nov 21, 2010
Visit site
Wouldn't this be the logical choice? -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Leema-Acoustics-Stream-III-3-CD-Player-in-silver-RRP-1600-/200748019133?pt=UK_AudioTVElectronics_HomeAudioHiFi_CDPlayerSeparates&hash=item2ebd83adbd#ht_8735wt_784

A

Anonymous

If i were you i would just plug your arcam straight into the rega dac and use it as a transport using a chord prodac, it will blow the apollo out of the water! and thats not easy...

at least try and arrange a demo, i think you will be impressed.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
THESTIG08 said:
If i were you i would just plug your arcam straight into the rega dac and use it as a transport using a chord prodac, it will blow the apollo out of the water! and thats not easy...

Another very good suggestion......along with the Audiolab MDac.

CnoEvil said:
THESTIG08 said:

Another very good suggestion......along with the Audiolab MDac.

The MDac is a little over budget but the Rega Dac is another good suggestion.

How much does a Prodac come out at?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
plastic penguin said:

I'm probably having a senile moment, but who makes the Prodac?

EDIT. If it's the Chord Prodac lead, it's £50 (0.5M) and £63 (1M).

A

Anonymous

The chord company prodac would be best purchased via e-bay, i just bought a new 1m prodac cable with vee connectors for £33 + £3.99 postage.

I paid £28 for the older version with gold connectors..

CnoEvil said:
plastic penguin said:

I'm probably having a senile moment, but who makes the Prodac?

EDIT. If it's the Chord Prodac lead, it's £50 (0.5M) and £63 (1M).

Ah, right.

Hope the Rega Apollo lives up to the hype.

Edit - didn't mean it in a sarcastic way, but the Apollo is highly praised on here.

T

the record spot

Harman's HD990. Fabby little player. £500 originally in 2009, can be found for £300-ish these days.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts