Yellow ghosting on NTSC discs

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Hi all, I've got a bit of a weird problem - I've got a Sony KDFE50A12 3LCD rear projection TV (HD ready). Playing things through the HDMI (V+ box) works fine, as do PAL discs through my Sony £35 DVD player. However, if I play an NTSC disc, I get a yellow ghosting on the picture about 1" from the original image - it makes it look a bit like an old 3d-movie. The weird thing is even the TV menus display the same problem. Is there a setting I should be looking at, either on the TV or the DVD player - I've tried looking for a "output NTSC as PAL" on the DVD but there doesn't seem to be anything.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
No, there's no way to switch that model so NTSC discs are output as PAL. I guess your TV doesn't like NTSC signals over Scart much! The only solution would be to buy a player able to do the NTSC/PAL switching.

The TV you have seems to be able to handle NTSC, but it looks like it can do so only over component or composite video input, not Scart. And of course your player doesn't have any video output apart from Scart.

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Oh well. Never mind!

Ah - hang on - you might have just provided me with a solution for those problem discs though.

I've got a Tesco-own-brand dvd player somewhere that although inferior to the sony on scart, does have both component and composite outputs.

I'll connect it up this evening and see if it does the job!

Thanks Andrew.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts