Yamaha RXV-765 shuts down at higher volumes

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Yamaha RXV-765 (7x95W - even if those are not supposed to be real numbers). I play it with a Sony bluray for CD connected via HDMI. The speakers are two B&W 683s as fronts and one B&W HTM62 as centers. I know the Yamaha lacks power for the 683s, but is it normal that the yamaha just shuts down at high volume, as soon as the bass hits? Even Katie Melua makes it shut down at -5.0 dB (from the volume level). Tiesto shuts it down at -10.0 dB... even less louder...

Is this the "soft clipping".

Thanks

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
dont personally understand 'clipping' but this may sound daft but are the '+' & '-' the correct way round & the ohms set up to suit the speakers? if the amp has auto set up with the mic, that will tell you if any speakers are wired incorrectly as i got one wrong on mine
emotion-10.gif

A

Anonymous

Thanks, I'll try this tonight, but honestly, I did play the speakers with two other receivers, and did not have this problem. The receivers were a NAD C355 which sounded great for live music, but slightly off at high volume for rock, and my father's old Nakamichi Receiver1, which was terrible at bass (nothing there) and highs were way too harsh, but the mid was tremendous! Never heard the FSTs like that before...weird how all amps are not the same at all!

Anyway, I will check it out with the mic, but if I got the polarity wrong, it amazes me as I did plug and unplugged them at least 5 times and it does the same "shut down" every time.

Anybody experienced that before? should I call Yamaha?

Should I change speaker cables (Rocketfish 16 gauge - will upgrade but one step at a time)?

I do plan on a power amp for the three front speaker but wish my Yamaha would handle it better in the mean time.

Thanks!

A

Anonymous

I feel pretty stupid this morning... I tried the auto set up with the microphone - which by the way does a great job of getting the center sound to match the fronts properly - but yes... I had a fault in my left speaker - plus and minus reversed... so weird as I checked them out last week. Anyway, the system does not shut down. However, yes, it is inside a cabinet -with some clearance and open front and rear, but I will add a fan in the back to suck hot air out.

Thanks for the advice.

Case close, not without a bruised ego... I might change my name on the forum... :)

Cheers! Really glad I can put up the volume and enjoy - still needs a power amp, but will do that much later now.

Cofnchtr

Oct 4, 2007
Visit site
Hi,

Is it possible to physically check the wires are properly connected?

My amp gave me an error once that the phase was out - I hadn't touched anything - physically traced the wires and all was OK - ran the test a second time and no errors.

Cheers,

Cofnchtr.

A

Anonymous

I get no error message anymore. The wires were not correctly connected. Probably the effect of having a beer while wiring everything together. thanks for your reply. Really like the mic device to auto setup the sound. Definite improvement over my own settings, especially for sports watching.

cheers.

A

Anonymous

Once you have ran the setup, go back into the setup options and turn off the equalizer.

I did this with my RXV1065 and the sound is much morer detailed, give it a go and see what you think.

tj27

Nov 11, 2009
Visit site
maxhesien:
I get no error message anymore. The wires were not correctly connected. Probably the effect of having a beer while wiring everything together. thanks for your reply. Really like the mic device to auto setup the sound. Definite improvement over my own settings, especially for sports watching.

cheers.

no probs, hope its all ok now
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I'll try that... cause the sound is definitely different with Pure Direct.

I'll try to bi amp my front speakers (i don't have surrounds for now) - see what this does.

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts