Yamaha Rxa-1070

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
the sub I think I want to go for is the SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer I am still looking if I can get one cheaper then £799
Speak to David Falkner who's on the forum.

https://www.thelittleaudio.company
when your testing the speaker levels on a Yamaha Av

you have to test the speaker levels of 75db but the volume level goes backwards on a Yamaha av 100db -0db it reads as a example instead of 0db-100db

the test tone is 30db do you include the 30db to make up to the 75db and if your going backwards 100db-0db what would the number be to make the 75db ?

because I am finding that I have to turn the Av up to full volume nearly to read 75db is that normal ?
75db on your sound meter, not the Yamaha! The idea is for a medium sound level (doesn't necessarily have to be 75db). A toilet flushing or a vacuum cleaner running or a concert in a small auditorium is 75db.
i have ended up buying the Rel T71 sub today i saved £50 of the asking price will be here on friday

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
The other problem I've had today is the Dali opticon 1s that I ordered I was told before I picked them up why did I choose them for surround backs and I told the shop it's because I have a opticon setup .

the chap in the shop said to me for the same money I could get the MONITOR AUDIO
SILVER FX V2 what do you think ? Because I am confused now .

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
the sub I think I want to go for is the SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer I am still looking if I can get one cheaper then £799
Speak to David Falkner who's on the forum.

https://www.thelittleaudio.company

Is that the guy with serial killer avatar and Harman/Kardon silver stack?

Blacksabbath25 said:
The other problem I've had today is the Dali opticon 1s that I ordered I was told before I picked them up why did I choose them for surround backs and I told the shop it's because I have a opticon setup .

the chap in the shop said to me for the same money I could get the  MONITOR AUDIOSILVER FX V2 what do you think ? Because I am confused now  .
I would suggest you stick to Dali.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
The other problem I've had today is the Dali opticon 1s that I ordered I was told before I picked them up why did I choose them for surround backs and I told the shop it's because I have a opticon setup .

the chap in the shop said to me for the same money I could get the MONITOR AUDIOSILVER FX V2 what do you think ? Because I am confused now .
I would suggest you stick to Dali.
I was put off buying the Dali opticon 1s yesterday as I was told the opticon 1s will only fire one direction where the monitor audio speakers will fire different directions and where more suited to surround sound so left the shop confused ..

so left the shop empty handed as the opticon 1s I ordered in and I was meant to pick them up yesterday but instead I was talked into buying the Rel T71 instead so I could setup my fronts probably and now this is a mistake as well so yesterday was a complete wast of time .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Remind me again, is yours a 5.1 or 7.1 setup?

I think driver matching is more important, hence my suggestion to stick to Dali. You can try the MAs and see if you like it.
5.1 also i set the AV to 6ohm setting as the dali LCR is a 4ohm speaker but the MA is a 8ohm speaker

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Right I need some understanding with YPO please

if i setup the Av manually and do the measurements myself i.e. Speaker distance , speaker levels by SPL meter , speaker size , speaker crossovers

Currently my settings are .... speaker distance 2.70 meters from my seating my centre is hung on the wall which 3.00 meters from seating my subwoofer is 2.70 meters from seating as the sub seats between my Dali opticon 8s

Speaker levels have been tested with the AVs volume up at 75db then using the test tone and both L+Rs are at the same level but the centre is up just a little bit more then the L+Rs

Speaker size are all set to small as none of them are not full range speakers

I went on to the SVS website and you can put in your make of speakers and then it will give you the crossover frequencies which my Dali opticon 8s are meant to be 40 Hz and the Dali opticon LCR is meant to be at 80 Hz

now the manual setup sounds ok but could do with a bit more bass output from centre channel to be happy .

Right if I use the auto YPO to set the Av up I get different figures then if I was setting up manually but do understand that the YPAO works with your room size and so on but the other issue is the YPAO says all 3 of my fronts are out of faze ? When they are not so how can I trust the YPAO

These are the settings from the YPAO..... speaker distance 3.00 meters for the L+Rs centre which is behind the fronts L+Rs on the wall is 3.80 meters which is wrong and the sub 4.0 meters

Speaker levels.... L 0.1 .... R -05 Centre channel 0.0 Sub....0.0

Speaker size it's set them all to large which is wrong as I want them all to be set to small as none of the speakers are full range speakers .

Now which one do I trust as I thought the YPAO was meant to be accurate and the fact it says after it's finished doing the test that all 3 main fronts are out of faze as I've read on the Yamaha website that if it says your speakers are not in faze ignore it but surely this makes the hole test wrong using the YPAO so what do you reckon ?

Ive read about the manual EQ that's just like a graphic equaliser where you can adjust the gains in each speaker but it's impossible to get this right without the right equipment .

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
and forget the YPAO option, yes it will take longer but it will be more accurate imo, I tried twice with the mic setup on my amp (an Onyko), first time it said my left front speaker was 32 ft away from my listening position (my room is only 14 ft in length) and the second time it said that my right front spk was 20 ft from my listening position.

In both tries the rest of my spks (centre,surrounds,height) distances from my listening position were all wrong as well. In the end I used a tape measure to do it manualy, sure it took longer but at least my speakers are the right distance from where I sit.

I would also like to say that the individual spk levels were all over the place when using the mic setup, so I just used a sound level meter app on my phone to manualy set the levels.

Imo I would class your Opticon 8's as a "full range" spk, I use floorstanders as my front l+r and have set them as "large" in the setup menu.

*music2*

macdiddy said:
Imo I would class your Opticon 8's as a "full range" spk, I use floorstanders as my front l+r and have set them as "large" in the setup menu.

*music2*

The OP has the brilliant SVS SB2000 subwoofer. Setting the front speakers to "large" will mean no signals will go to the subwoofer to do any work. "Large" and "small" has less to do with size of the speakers and more to do with the presence or absence of a subwoofer.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
macdiddy said:

*music2*
The OP has the brilliant SVS SB2000 subwoofer. Setting the front speakers to "large" will mean no signals will go to the subwoofer to do any work. "Large" and "small" has less to do with size of the speakers and more to do with the presence or absence of a subwoofer.
hi big boss

if I lowered the Dali opticon 8s crossover to 60hz as I've read that your meant to set the crossover a little higher then what the manufacturer says as Dali on the SVS site to set at 40hz would I still get the benefit from the sub though the Opticon 8s if I set the crossover that low as currently all speakers are set to 80hz .

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts