Yamaha Rxa-1070

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
macdiddy said:
as even Dali themselves say it's designed to go close to the wall or even mounted on it.

*music2*
yes that's what I thought I was going to buy 2 more Dali opticon LCRs but thought it was a silly move as they are £499 each and that's overkill for backs I thought .

i phoned richer sounds today and told them I changed my mind so I thought go with the opticon 1s at least I get 2 for £499 and then I will get a little bit of discount so I think this will be the right move as I still got to buy the sub and speaker cables , sub cable then this will be a 5.1 opticon setup

as so far I am running opticon 8s for L+R s , opticon LCR for centre and then the opticon 1s for backs

sub not decided yet might be a Dali sub not sure as I used to have a Ral sub years ago so thought I would look at them too

macdiddy

Sep 3, 2010
Visit site
make as your other speakers, the money you saved by going for the Opticon 1's could go towards a nice Dali sub.

https://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/dali/e12f/dali-sub-e-12-f

as you have brought before from RS they may throw in a sub cable for free.

*music2*

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
What did you do to fix this issue BS?
what the issue of my L+Rs not showing in the Av menu ? i still can not change the size of the speakers for the L+Rs but can test them using the yamaha mic or using the test tone and my L+Rs show up when using the yamaha mic test but i like using the setup using the old why which i have done but been reading around and ones i get a sub i should be able to change the L+Rs size ? not sure but will have to see

i am using my yamaha A-S2100 for music and running the fronts for the AV

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
macdiddy said:
make as your other speakers, the money you saved by going for the Opticon 1's could go towards a nice Dali sub.

https://www.richersounds.com/product/subwoofers/dali/e12f/dali-sub-e-12-f

as you have brought before from RS they may throw in a sub cable for free.

*music2*
yes i brought the 1070 , dali LCR , dali opticon 1s next week and a sub what ever i get

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Makes sense you cant set the fronts to small as something needs to have the bass and lfe directed to it - that will be fronts.

I thought you was unsure of the wiring of things - seems odd to wire into the pre out input and not the main input is what I was thinking

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
ellisdj said:
Makes sense you cant set the fronts to small as something needs to have the bass and lfe directed to it - that will be fronts.

I thought you was unsure of the wiring of things - seems odd to wire into the pre out input and not the main input is what I was thinking
that's been put right now i think i was in a bit of a rush and excitement at the start to get things up and running *smile* i will need help working out the crossovers on all my speakers ones i get fully setup .

by the way have still been watching your video's just been busy but good vids well done

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Crossovers should be set only after you get a subwoofer. Until then, set all speakers to "large" so that they play full range. Your fronts will be automatically set to large anyway.
sub issue been learning about subs on the http://www.audioholics.com/ site they reckon it's better to buy 2 subs and place them in different locations around the room to get the best response .

my issue is what kind of sub to go for as we do not live in America where there rooms are much larger then ours in the U.K. And 3 meters from my sofa are my fronts .

my room is big but long but 4 meters wide now do I buy 2 small subs and put them in different locations ? Or just buy one big sub

what kind of sub do you get there are different kinds sealed ,ported , downward firing

if I was going to buy 2 subs I probably buy 2 small Rals but if one does the job then I need a quality sub that does a good job that will match my speakers

I've got to buy a SPL meter to test with next week but if I can get a 5.1 or 5.2 setup correctly then it should sound good .

i have my centre Dali opticon LCR on the wall but hanging on 2 big screws it's safe but not really happy with it like that but I am not sure if I can get hold of a speaker bracket to hold it proper one were you can tilt down if I wanted too .

I large sealed sub is better than 2 small cheaper subs. Size matters, go for the biggest one you can afford / acceptable by other half. In the future, you can always add another one when funds allow.

You get free apps on your phone for SPL meter.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
I no I have not got the back speakers yet or the sub but I downloaded a SPL app and tested the fonts and centre today it's been some years since I've done this but going by the .audioholics site you have to turn the AV volume up to 75db and then go to manual test tone and test each speaker so it's outputs 75db coming from the test tone from each speaker .

I have big floor standing speakers which can kick out a lot of bass that are ok and seem like they do not need a sub but the centre is coming across a bit more neutral with not much bass to it so I take it when I get my sub this will be sorted out and the dialogue will have a bit more weight to the dialogue ? Or I've picked the wrong centre speaker as the LCR that I have is still a opticon speaker so should not be a issue as the proper opticon centre speaker that Dali make is massive .

been watching my favourite film Terminator 2 it sounds pretty good on just the fronts

now with this modern AV amplifiers do you still get on the display of the AV Dolby digital 5.1 , 7.1 Dolby EX , DTS EX has yamaha changed all this on theses modern amplifiers or are they called something else ? It's been 10years or more for me so I do not no now

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Have you tried the dialogue lift feature on your Yamaha? The subwoofer should help add weight to dialogues.

As long as Yamaha decodes audio, you should be able to see Dolby True HD etc. on display panel.
no Dolby true HD yet may be i am not getting it as i have no backs or sub yet ?

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Depends on what sound the film is coded in. Which film have you checked? Blu ray? Have you ensured your blu ray player isn't deciding audio and bitstreaming to the AVR?
terminator 2 so far on blu ray

i have a cheap sony blu ray player but should still do all things i would have to check the settings on the blu ray player but would of thought it would be bitstreming on auto but will check to find out .

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Depends on what sound the film is coded in. Which film have you checked? Blu ray? Have you ensured your blu ray player isn't deciding audio and bitstreaming to the AVR?

i have a cheap sony blu ray player but should still do all things i would have to check the settings on the blu ray player but would of thought it would be bitstreming on auto but will check to find out .
By default, the player will decode audio until you change settings.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:

my current blue ray player is a BDP - S3700 in the audio settings I have digital audio output set to auto then I have DSD output mode auto then BD audio mix setting.... on

Dolby D compatible output......on

audio DRC .... auto

downmix .... surround

they are the only settings I have to do with the blu ray player to do with audio .

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
Right theses are my freq crossover Dali LCR centre speaker ....... 2.2000 14.000

Dali opticon 8 L+Rs...... 390 / 2.300 / 14.000

Dali opticon 1 back surround speakers .... 2.000

what crossover settings do I use ? Currently all set on 80hz

If you don't have a subwoofer, then there's no point in putting crossover settings. Crossover simply means you're asking the subwoofer to handle frequencies below 80 Hz, which doesn't exist as yet. (I'm assuming there's no subwoofer in your setup currently). Set all speakers to large until you get the sub.

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:

my current blue ray player is a BDP - S3700  in the audio settings I have digital audio output set to auto then I have DSD output mode auto then BD audio mix setting.... on 

audio DRC .... auto 

downmix .... surround 

they are the only settings I have to do with the blu ray player to do with audio .
Set BD output mix setting to off. Check page 26 of your manual.

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:

my current blue ray player is a BDP - S3700 in the audio settings I have digital audio output set to auto then I have DSD output mode auto then BD audio mix setting.... on

audio DRC .... auto

downmix .... surround

Set BD output mix setting to off. Check page 26 of your manual.
thanks big boss for the help

I lost the manual to the Sony blu ray player so glad there someone like your self on here to help anyway about the sub no not yet and I understand it's a bit forward thinking but thought even though I have no sub yet I could sort the crossover settings so when I do get the sub I've only got to sort the subs own settings but if this is not possible then I understand .

Ones I told the Av that I had a sub I could change the speaker size to small for the front L+Rs which is good as a regionally I thought because my L+Rs were not connected to the Av I thought I would lose those settings but I have not so pleased .

watched Armageddon sounded very nice .

the sub I think I want to go for is the SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer I am still looking if I can get one cheaper then £799

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
the sub I think I want to go for is the SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer I am still looking if I can get one cheaper then £799
Speak to David Falkner who's on the forum.

https://www.thelittleaudio.company
when your testing the speaker levels on a Yamaha Av

you have to test the speaker levels of 75db but the volume level goes backwards on a Yamaha av 100db -0db it reads as a example instead of 0db-100db

the test tone is 30db do you include the 30db to make up to the 75db and if your going backwards 100db-0db what would the number be to make the 75db ?

because I am finding that I have to turn the Av up to full volume nearly to read 75db is that normal ?

Blacksabbath25 said:
bigboss said:
Blacksabbath25 said:
the sub I think I want to go for is the SVS SB-2000 Subwoofer I am still looking if I can get one cheaper then £799 
Speak to David Falkner who's on the forum.

https://www.thelittleaudio.company
when your testing the speaker levels on a Yamaha Av 

you have to test the speaker levels of 75db but the volume level goes backwards on a Yamaha av 100db -0db it reads as a example instead of 0db-100db 

the test tone is 30db do you include the 30db to make up to the 75db and if your going backwards 100db-0db what would the number be to make the 75db ?

because I am finding that I have to turn the Av up to full volume nearly to read 75db is that normal  ? 

75db on your sound meter, not the Yamaha! The idea is for a medium sound level (doesn't necessarily have to be 75db). A toilet flushing or a vacuum cleaner running or a concert in a small auditorium is 75db.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts